• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
34 34

6,513 posts in this topic

On 2/29/2024 at 8:13 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I don’t know for certain who painted what but I do know for certain I’m happy to have this one in my collection.  :x Alice gets the credit here.

IMG_6730.jpeg

Ah, cheers, an interesting artist.  Kirkpatrick is getting credit for interior work there (and I've no doubt she did the line-drawn covers at Ace as well).  I'm not sure that she painted too much, though I could be wrong.

more info on Kirkpatrick on an intriguing pulp wiki here from David Saunders (where BC snags the Lou Cameron quote from):
https://www.pulpartists.com/Kirkpatrick.html

and also a nice comics bibliography with a little more unique biographical info here:

https://womenincomics.fandom.com/wiki/Alice_Kirkpatrick

I'll keep digging. 

There's no doubt the paintings look damn good on these comics covers - I doubt too many of the love pulps got sacked away in such pristine condition.

On 2/29/2024 at 8:58 PM, BuscemasAvengers said:

Lovers 69; a Vadeboncoeur copy; lovely Colletta cover. Just 1 on the census (5.5).

L69F.jpg

Nice sig on that one.  Reminds me on Manolo in Scarface who wanted his name on women's jeans...  :applause:

On 3/1/2024 at 9:33 PM, Dr. Love said:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate."

But I aint seen nothing like the HA romance auction that just ended tonight.  That's one for the books!

I'll get into more detail later.  Congrats to @Ricksneatstuff and the HA crew for an outstanding romance lineup!

a taste:  Dell Private Secretary #1 & 2, raw VF - went for about 5K the pair.  Mind blowing!

Thanks Andy! This was a fun one to put together. 

On 3/1/2024 at 7:33 PM, Dr. Love said:

Dell Private Secretary #1 & 2, raw VF - went for about 5K the pair.  Mind blowing!

:jawdrop:   :jawdrop:

Wow!  Maybe I need to think about selling my copies.  They are a little better than VF-.

On 3/1/2024 at 9:35 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

:jawdrop:   :jawdrop:

Wow!  Maybe I need to think about selling my copies.  They are a little better than VF-.

Sorry for the confusion - they were listed as VF's each.  Still, maybe you should.  I know a guy you know who really really wants a nice #2.  Well, make that two guys.  uhhh, three!

I sold my VF #2 five years ago to our friend in LA for $300.  I wouldn't be shocked if this was my old copy tonight.  That might be true for many of the raw lower grade books in this auction, he's great at timing the market.

Before I get into specifics tomorrow, let me frame this first from a particular vantage point - from 10,000 feet up.

What HA has set out to do - and is accomplishing - is to carve out these Thursday/Friday specialty auctions which focus on a particular artist or genre.  This is next level marketing/auctioning.  While the best the others can do is to differentiate between two types of auctions, for the most part - separated into the better merchandise, and the lesser.  As basic as it gets, and a business model that hasn't changed much in 20+years?

One might speculate that for HA this is as much or more a commitment to the brand and to the future of the comic market as to the financial bottom line.  Take this romance auction for example.  531 books which grossed $131,712.  Not what you'd call a lot of money - their take of approx 40K could just as easily come from a handful of popular SA books.  These romance books could have been split into lots of 10-30 and seeded into weeklies or even sigs, easily.  They might have even grossed more when all was said and done, as romance collectors may not have as much funds to deploy as other collectors and could get wallet fatigued in the midst of a 250 book dedicated session.

We can see that HA is committed to the romance genre.  They've had Baker specialty auctions, a Cole auction that might arguably also be framed as an Atlas auction, and now this one focused on the smaller publishers one never sees collected in one place.  Rick and crew know the private owners and the consignors are coming to them.  And as we've seen in this thread, when it comes to Rick, like in the old Hair Club for Men commercials - "I'm not just the President - I'm also a client!".

On 3/2/2024 at 12:56 AM, Dr. Love said:

What HA has set out to do - and is accomplishing - is to carve out these Thursday/Friday specialty auctions which focus on a particular artist or genre. [...]

And once again, I completely forgot to bid, even with the incessant email reminders.  doh!  I can't seem to get it in my head that these specialty auctions don't finish Sunday/Monday nights like the others. Ah well.

On 3/3/2024 at 12:03 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’ve been waiting to post this one, probably the centerpiece of my non-Baker romance collection. If anyone has a high grade 49 to match this hit me up so I can pay for your kid’s honeymoon or something. 

lovers 61 fc.jpeg

When you get past 7.0 in romance that is amazing and does a 49 in high grade exist we shall see (thumbsu