• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
34 34

6,494 posts in this topic

Came across one that's new to me.  And by came across, I mean I saw it at Heritage (3720 hammer last week, 5 copies in census including 2 over 9.0):

HoneymoonRomance11950-04.ComicMediacover(HACGC7.0).thumb.jpg.3517fce62370456d2c55299d11f38fb8.jpg

I like it.  A very Fox-like cover (but not a Fox cover artist). Squarebound digest, 132 pages. Two issue run from Comic Media. Artful is the shell publisher on the second one according to GCD.  Skeleton index for #2, no index for 1. Just 3 in the census for #2.

Super scarce, especially #2?

And a sister romance, Confessions of Love, also 2 issues, same format, neither indexed at the GCD.  Issue one, same release month as the above, same artist to my eye, sold for 495 back in 2011.

ConfessionsofLove011950-04.ComicMediacover(HACGC7.0).thumb.jpg.273515620e7b163a12942b681b926400.jpg

Also a good one.  A litle more skin, a little more assault :I, and a bit of kitsch comedy with the wedding night honeymoon horror tag. Much prefer the cover on the Honeymoon Romance #1, though. 3 copies in the census for #1, 1 copy for #2.

Even scarcer than the other title?  Comic Media only used this format for these two titles?  Anybody ID the artist on the #1s?

Curious what the insides look like if anybody is holding a raw copy - -

Edited by Darwination

On 3/9/2024 at 6:36 PM, Darwination said:

Came across one that's new to me.  And by came across, I mean I saw it at Heritage (3720 hammer last week, 5 copies in census including 2 over 9.0):

HoneymoonRomance11950-04.ComicMediacover(HACGC7.0).thumb.jpg.3517fce62370456d2c55299d11f38fb8.jpg

I like it.  A very Fox-like cover (but not a Fox cover artist). Squarebound digest, 132 pages. Two issue run from Comic Media. Artful is the shell publisher on the second one according to GCD.  Skeleton index for #2, no index for 1. Just 3 in the census for #2.

And a sister romance, Confessions of Love, also 2 issues, same format, neither indexed at the GCD.  Issue one, same release month as the above, same artist to my eye, sold for 495 back in 2011.

ConfessionsofLove011950-04.ComicMediacover(HACGC7.0).thumb.jpg.273515620e7b163a12942b681b926400.jpg

Also a good one.  A litle more skin, a little more assault :I, and a bit of kitsch comedy with the wedding night honeymoon horror tag. Much prefer the cover on the Honeymoon Romance #1, though. 3 copies in the census for #1, 1 copy for #2.

Even scarcer than the other title?  Comic Media only used this format for these two titles?  Anybody ID the artist on the #1s?

Both are very cool, but I love the blurbs - "Sex Crimes on the Rise" and "Should Brides be Virgins?" Excellent!

Edited by pmpknface

On 3/9/2024 at 4:36 PM, Darwination said:

I've chased these on and off for over 20 years.  HR 1 is the most common (I've owned 3 copies), COL 1 is second most common, but notably rarer.  HR 2 is very rare, and COL 2 is extremely rare.  It's been years since I opened one, I frankly can't recall what the interiors are like. 

Edited by buttock

On 3/4/2024 at 9:59 AM, PopKulture said:

That thing is as faded as a “gray” Challengers of the Unknown number one. 

I’ve had my beater copy for fifty years. It’s one of four comics my grandma found in the attic of their old balloon-frame house that my aunt had read as a kid. No Marvel Mystery, no Captain America, not even Captain Marvel. The four books were the below Youthful Love Romances, a Love Romances 9 (photo cover), My Desire 31, and a very cool oddball, Jughead 1. My brother got first and second choice since he was older, and took the Youthful Love and naturally the Jughead. That left me with a beater Love Romances 9 and an equally compromised My Desire 31. I always maintained for decades later I should’ve at least gotten choices two and four…

I eventually conned him out of this one but he kept the Jughead. I can’t say I blame him.

F7E0DB92-329E-46E2-923C-9CF3DDAE7D54.jpeg

Your copy is the US version, with "LN" and "AUG. SEPT." at the top right. It might be rarer than the Canadian printing sold at HA.

Now here's a question. It seems to me that I've viewed many more romance comics from the late 1940's than I have from the early 1960's. Are Silver Age romance comics actually less common than Golden Age ones?

???

On 3/12/2024 at 10:47 AM, Robot Man said:

The only one I got. Got it from Harley at one of Terry O’Neil’s early shows. Was well under a hundred bucks. I saw it and grabbed it. First one I had ever seen. I’ve always been a low level Romance collector but this was a digest with sleezy content and I figured pretty scarce. I have never seen any of the rest other than a couple in big auctions. Glad to have this beater.

And per Beau’s request, I have tried to post a little of the interior which also matches the cover for sleezy content. Sorry, hard to take good photos of…

@Darwination

IMG_8444.jpeg

IMG_8445.jpeg

IMG_8446.jpeg

IMG_8447.jpeg

IMG_8448.jpeg

IMG_8450.jpeg

IMG_8451.jpeg

Awesome, thanks, RM!  Love the little format.  Looks like Iger Studio to me with the panel layouts and cheesecake poses.

The back cover won't bowl anybody over, but  I think it's really neat in a "low-key" fashion to use a term my kid's toss around.  Same bar as the front, but you've got a table of merry-makers flirting, a chick checking out the jukebox, and a dark door leading into the forbidden love lair of the comic :shy:

EDIT: And a little Tonya Harding action in that last story, ha! :yeehaw:

Edited by Darwination

On 3/14/2024 at 1:36 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Happy to have this one in the collection before the Heritage romance auction

IMG_6977.jpeg

You should have come by my booth at CalCon earlier Rick. You know my price would have been a steal compared to a HA auction… Great to see you either way!