• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,655 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 7/2/2024 at 11:27 PM, Bumble Kitty said:

On the Boy Loves Girl 46, I wonder who is "Ruthie"?  I don't recall seeing that name on any other Romance books. 

Maybe she picked up an interest in romance comics in her 20’s hm xD

https://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/The-Home-Forum/2020/0923/Remembering-Justice-Ginsburg-To-my-mom-she-was-Ruthie

IMG_8696.jpeg

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

On 7/3/2024 at 12:27 AM, Bumble Kitty said:

On the Boy Loves Girl 46, I wonder who is "Ruthie"?  I don't recall seeing that name on any other Romance books. 

Great looking 6.0s👍‼️

On 7/6/2024 at 2:58 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Picked up some low grade copies of issues I have really struggled to pickup. Looking for upgrades on any of them, especially the last one.  

IMG_8732.jpeg

IMG_8733.jpeg

IMG_8734.jpeg

Smart move. I have always bought what I liked at the right time for the right price. You can always upgrade the stuff you really want to. But in the meantime, at least you have a filler copy. In the case of the rare GA I like, sometimes you only get one chance…

TAR26 was always throwing me off from the other TAR painted covers (27-30), but now I'm looking at the backgrounds on 28 and 29 and seeing the loose work there...  It has to be her on all of those.  Plus they're mostly all signed.

It's pretty clear (now) that the Dawson signature is quite different from Downes signature (with the big flared "D" and "E" - Flying Eagle Manhunt covers).

I love your analysis, @Darwination.  Great presentation!

Edited by Yorick
sp

You're absolutely right that some are signed, I wasn't looking closely enough. So they're 100% Dawson

28, to the right of her glove:

TAR28DawsonSigCloseUp.jpg.df12bd001d85c22e6cd3251648c171dd.jpg

29, at the bottom of her book

TAR29DawsonSigCloseUp.jpg.7f97d88c8e399ff87106fa0ab72ef216.jpg

Am I missing any actual signatures on any of the others?

In my mind a least, all of those TAR are confirmed (as well as the Romantic Marriage 18).

We're hot in here.  Picked up one more.  Cinderella Love #13, no attribution at the GCD, NOT Dawson but Rudolph Nappi (wow!).

26329083%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Sig close-up

CinderellaLove13NappiSigCloseUp.jpg.a59b63392d86139120cf2d8fff7a1835.jpg

I recently worked with one of his digest covers

53702618257_9173435116_o.jpg

Over in the paperback thread, peeps were oohing and aahing an considering extra mortgages on their house when Reefer Girl sold last year (36 grand)
29674033%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

This St. John isn't his only appearance in the comics, as he did some ECs, too.

24724672%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

14128245%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Best for last

22007330%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

I spoke to several big dealers at Torpedo about the current market. Was no suprise that big SA/BA is down but what was selling well. Of course PCH, Schomburg, LB Cole and Baker but noticeably Romance is on fire. I suspect folks have finally “discovered” them in the last couple years. Although, I have a good amount of them, they have never been a big focus for me. I think these boards have been a good reason. If you asked me even 5-6 years ago, I would (other than Baker), would have scoffed at you. Nice romance books at Torpedo were pretty nose bleed prices. 

Edited by Robot Man

On 7/21/2024 at 11:42 AM, Darwination said:

Am I missing any actual signatures on any of the others?

30 is bottom left.