• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
35 35

6,525 posts in this topic

I never noticed that as concerns GCD. Interesting. Looking into the change history logs, apparently the "team" had doubts about #13 since 2002 or before. They also apparently haven't updated in accordance with Michelle Nolan's book. Which I don't have in front of me, since I'm on the road.

But I did access Dan Stevenson's romance list, which is on the web, and which was The Romance Database before it got updated and codified with Nolan's book. It says 6 issues for Diary Confessions, 9-14. If Dan said it, and Nolan's book still says it, then there is no question about it. It's been eyeballed by one of the two and does exist.

Me - I've never seen it personally. But that's true for thousands of romance books. I can tell you Stanmore is tough. Those are some nice issues you've got there, fett. Of this title, I like #14 a whole lot too.

Thanks for the confirmation on that. I came across the Stevenson list awhile ago and noted the #13 and some of the IW romance reprints he has listed that aren't supposed to exist. By chance do you have any contact info for Dan or are you acquainted? Also any idea how old the list in question is? The list I have mentions at the bottom that Michelle Nolan had recently discovered My Secret Life #27. Cover added for that issue on GCD back in 2008, so at least that old.

Edited by fett

At long last, I'm able to present what must be a rare group shot...the complete EC romance collection.

Special thanks to Dr. Love, who recently sold me a big stack of his EC books, including the three issues I was missing (the elusive Modern Love #5, Modern Love #6, and Saddle Romances #11), along with some incredible upgrades for some of the others. Thanks again, Dr. (worship) Wouldn't have been possible without you...

ECRomance.jpg

At long last, I'm able to present what must be a rare group shot...the complete EC romance collection.

Special thanks to Dr. Love, who recently sold me a big stack of his EC books, including the three issues I was missing (the elusive Modern Love #5, Modern Love #6, and Saddle Romances #11), along with some incredible upgrades for some of the others. Thanks again, Dr. (worship) Wouldn't have been possible without you...

ECRomance.jpg

VERY impressive :golfclap:

The 'Modern Love' series alone is an achievement. Love seeing other EC genres from time to time outside their signature stuff. That Dr. Love is quite the guy! Congrats! (thumbs u

Congrats on finishing the run I'm still looking for a moon, a girl a romance issue 12 to complete the EC romance run

On diary confessions I have 9,10,11 and 14. Issue 12 exists but is rarer than hens teeth and pretty sure that issue 13 doesn't exist.

ECRomance.jpg

HECKUVA set!

(thumbs u

Congrats on finishing the run I'm still looking for a moon, a girl a romance issue 12 to complete the EC romance run

On diary confessions I have 9,10,11 and 14. Issue 12 exists but is rarer than hens teeth and pretty sure that issue 13 doesn't exist.

Thanks for any info at all about this title guys. It's appreciated. Are you just saying you've never seen a copy of #13 or do you know it was not published? There is definitley a neat little hole where it could have been between #12 and #14 datewise.

Edited by fett

ECRomance.jpg

Spectacular! Such great books ... and so tough to find in decent shape (or for some of them, in any shape). Great accomplishment. (worship)(worship)(worship)

Speaking of EC romance, I was fortunate to score a pedigree copy (New Hampshire) earlier this month at SDCC.

According to the seller, the entire New Hampshire collection consisted of cross-genre books as long as they had a western-themed cover. Pretty cool.

79d3d6f1-d31f-4f53-98d1-b966ea135de2_zpsi6xvlgbo.jpg

VERY sweet score, Steve (worship)

I adore pedigree copies (particularly non-GFC pedigrees...of course, there were no romance GFCs anyway).

There are a couple Crippens in my Modern Love run (both acquired from the good Dr.), but that's it...

ECRomance.jpg

What an achievement! Those are VERY tough to aquire in ANY shape let alone that nice!

There are a couple Crippens in my Modern Love run (both acquired from the good Dr.), but that's it...

I noticed that, lovely books - my Modern Love 6 is a Crippen, but just a 7.0.

Speaking of EC romance, I was fortunate to score a pedigree copy (New Hampshire) earlier this month at SDCC.

According to the seller, the entire New Hampshire collection consisted of cross-genre books as long as they had a western-themed cover. Pretty cool.

Awsome book Steve. Looks like a file copy. Were there any Gaines romance file copies? Don't think I have ever seen one.

That's a great book. If it's not the best copy out there, it has to be very close.

Very nice book Steve, but as for the New Hampshire pedigree, probably most had a western theme but not all...as evidenced by these two that I own (bought from Jim Payette who purchased the collection):

2587680.jpg

4kxsg3.jpg

thats a good point, I have never seen a issue 13 and what I have read CBM etc. It was felt it was not published.

I finally contacted a couple of the GCD guys (one of them Dan) and lo and behold...

Diary Confessions #13 definitely non-existent. Morse comic titles ended 1955, distributor Kable released 4 leftovers all skipping an issue number - i.e, #12 to #14.

Diary Confessions #13 was one of the skipped issues and #14 was one of the leftovers into 1956.