• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,451 posts in this topic

But those photo covers.... who would want those nasty things ? I remember about 20 years ago, Bender's got in a Romance collection and I had to settle for sloppy seconds because my buddy Rick got there first...... he took all the Bakers and Wards, but left all the photo covers.... like those dull lifeless Forbidden Love books..... and other junque like the book below.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

9yKNCsY.jpg

Whoa! Never seen that one before.

..... It actually has some real nice art inside..... attributed to Gustavson, but there's some that looks an awful lot like Ward..... but I'm no expert. That Forbidden Love you got had some "Quality" art also...... GOD BLESS...

.... as for the Startling 49, that was probably 25 years ago and the book was just starting to gain notoriety..... 300 was a LOT of money for esoterica...... nice GA Joker covers pushing Fine could be had for that...... like Detective 71 :cloud9:

But those photo covers.... who would want those nasty things ? I remember about 20 years ago, Bender's got in a Romance collection and I had to settle for sloppy seconds because my buddy Rick got there first...... he took all the Bakers and Wards, but left all the photo covers.... like those dull lifeless Forbidden Love books..... and other junque like the book below.... GOD BLESS...

9yKNCsY.jpg

I'm not a fan of photo covers, but that is a sexy one, and I love the title and the font used for it. Add in a story titled "I was a Harem Girl", and I could see making an exception for it.

9yKNCsY.jpg

That's a HOT cover jimbo! The Ward covers seem to get all the love on that title. But, I like that one a lot more.

9yKNCsY.jpg

Great looking book.

Ken

Cool book sir! Here is another one of those 'nasty things'. It's the only issue in my set not slabbed (I will try and do it before years end, if only there would be no more cool books coming up for auction lol i'm curios to see how it grades out - i think north of 6.0). I loved a Gigolo (er, she did, not me.)

Forbidden%20Love%202_zpslsksweby.jpg

They're all neat....... Quality romance can be really well done..... the Forbiddens and Untameds are not easy to find, truly scarce for some reason. GOD BLESS...

I wonder whether they didn't sell well. The covers seem more attractive to male readers -- who probably weren't buying romance books -- than to female readers -- who were the main buyers of the books. hm

They're all neat....... Quality romance can be really well done..... the Forbiddens and Untameds are not easy to find, truly scarce for some reason. GOD BLESS...

I wonder whether they didn't sell well. The covers seem more attractive to male readers -- who probably weren't buying romance books -- than to female readers -- who were the main buyers of the books. hm

I agree.

Check out these covers from 1952 - 1954 to the venerable Love Story Magazine, the long running pulp dating back to 1921. We are well before the "Fabio" era where hunk-age is a de rigueur element on Romance covers. At this stage, the industry still helped the reader project herself onto the main heroine on the cover.

Love%20Story%20Mag%201950s%20-%20Small_zpso6ia01b4.jpg

Maybe, it simply wasn't wholesome enough and there is too much of a come-and-see me style to the cover combined with the Forbidden that was just enough askew that the main clientele simply didn't want to be associated in any way, shape or form with the package. Knowing that the male client weren't interested in the first place, the title died a quiet death on the newsstands.

I agree.

Check out these covers from 1952 - 1954 to the venerable Love Story Magazine, the long running pulp dating back to 1921. We are well before the "Fabio" era where hunk-age is a de rigueur element on Romance covers. At this stage, the industry still helped the reader project herself onto the main heroine on the cover.

Maybe, it simply wasn't wholesome enough and there is too much of a come-and-see me style to the cover combined with the Forbidden that was just enough askew that the main clientele simply didn't want to be associated in any way, shape or form with the package. Knowing that the male client weren't interested in the first place, the title died a quiet death on the newsstands.

These are beautiful covers! :)

Oh dear... please don't get me addicted to another genre... :ohnoez:

Recent acquisitions (although I'm not sure how rare they are)...

img318.jpg

img319.jpg

img320.jpg

For the record, is this thread devoted to all Golden Age Romance? Or just the hard-to-find issues?

It started as a rare issue thread and quickly morphed into "Golden Age Romance".

Those are nice books and post away.

I agree.

Interesting analysis and makes sense why the books didn't last long.

I'd like to see sales figures of the Untamed/Forbidden titles compared to the more common titles to see what kind of drop off there was.

+1 post em if you got em - those are nice covers, love the lovelorn especially, and the photos are sweet too

I agree, I like that Lovelorn as well :)

I didn't recognize / know Dorothy Hart's name but thanks to the Internet, I now have an image I want wiped out of my brain - Sorry but that is one creepy bunny :o

5e4975defe161d2400c733a899ab8d2d.jpg

As an eye cleanser, here's a picture that I believe captures her very well -

dorothy-hart-08.jpg

+1 post em if you got em - those are nice covers, love the lovelorn especially, and the photos are sweet too

I agree, I like that Lovelorn as well :)

I didn't recognize / know Dorothy Hart's name but thanks to the Internet, I now have an image I want wiped out of my brain - Sorry but that is one creepy bunny :o

5e4975defe161d2400c733a899ab8d2d.jpg

As an eye cleanser, here's a picture that I believe captures her very well -

dorothy-hart-08.jpg

Regarding Great Lover Romances #22: I always knew the name Richard Basehart since Gypsy from MST3K had such a crush on him, but this was the first time I had seen his photo. :D

gy069a.jpg

I remember Basehart from his role as captain of the submarine in Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. Long past his matinee idol days.

Richard Basehart was outstanding in a film noir classic called He Walked by Night. The movie features Jack Webb in a supporting role that helped forge his series Dragnet.