• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,446 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, sagii said:

...a book I started to sell a few months ago to fund something else, but every time I looked at it I remembered why i bought it to begin with. Doesn't hurt that it's highest graded (for now), and these L.B. Cole Star Comics seem to top out at about this certified grade on the whole from my observations. The detail and color on the woman in the backgrounds dress is just :luhv:

True to Life Romances #20.jpg

Knock out copy of a very tough book. So tough to find these in higher grades.  Were there Crippen or Church copies of these?

On 1/23/2019 at 11:55 PM, comicnoir said:
On 1/23/2019 at 11:17 PM, Dr. Love said:

speaking of flying cars

RomanticSecrets22fc100_zpsfc4e0c9a.jpg

Not only that, it looks like nobody is at the wheel.

Either that or she's driving in the UK. 

On 1/23/2019 at 9:50 PM, Point Five said:

:)

sweethearts25.jpg.95447f8e7c356d3c0b2e7e7245880a96.jpg

So, from the captions we can conclude:

1.  She really liked that ride with him through the Tunnel of Love.

2.  She already has a boyfriend.

3.  She's gotten into trouble before with these Tunnel rides.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

Dr. Data, my alter ego, says yes and yes.  But not so much.

Of the 83 Star romance issues, the Church data says he got 32:  according to Chuck, 8 VG or lower, 14 F,  8 NM, 2 NM+.  imho none of the uber grade have been slabbed yet, maybe not even changed hands from where they originally landed.

Crippen records rely almost exclusively on HA data.  There is some minimal return in CC's database under the D pedigree, but not enough to mention, and no Star's.  Through HA, 18 Crippen Star's have sold, all raw except for Film Stars Romances 1. 

I knew you would know this! :)

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You did some excellent research on her a few years ago.  I know you've got a great collection of her covers.  Do you think you have them all? Iirc, there was another cover model of the time who somewhat resembles her, making exact IDs on some covers a bit difficult. 

I have an extensive collection of scans of Alice Kelley covers.  As for the books, I just pick up the issues I like the most.

Yes, there was another model who closely resembled Alice.  They both appeared on numerous comic covers, and on even more romance magazine covers, right around the same time.  Alice's cover appearances seem especially prolific during the years 1949 thru 1952.  

DimpleDoll057.jpg

gce7_GCD.jpg

2 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Goes without saying!

The big takeaway is this:  there won't be any substantial OO romance coming to market, certainly not GA.  Even Bangzoom couldn't be bothered.  There is at least one almost complete DC silver OO collection to rival or surpass the Savannahs sitting in a dealer's private stock.  It may never see the light of day.

As far as Edgar, I've got him at 1016 books.  Not surprising, considering that around 1950 1 out of every 6 books on the newsstand was a love book.  Church's grade distribution was 1/3 VG or worse, 1/3 Fine, 1/3 NM or better.  Figure the Fine and worse are just positive spins by Chuck, and that leaves us with about 300 sweet romance that probably hasn't seen the market.  Which publishers, which books you say?  Well, I gotta let you do some of the work!

As to who has them - I never got a chance to ask Big John, and I don't know Little John.  I guess I could call up Chuck, but for what?  I know I don't have them.  I'm thinking the Verzyls.  With romance heating up, maybe it's finally worth it for them to turn em loose.

:applause:Absolutely fascinating data! 

20 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Goes without saying!

The big takeaway is this:  there won't be any substantial OO romance coming to market, certainly not GA.  Even Bangzoom couldn't be bothered.  There is at least one almost complete DC silver OO collection to rival or surpass the Savannahs sitting in a dealer's private stock.  It may never see the light of day.

As far as Edgar, I've got him at 1016 books.  Not surprising, considering that around 1950 1 out of every 6 books on the newsstand was a love book.  Church's grade distribution was 1/3 VG or worse, 1/3 Fine, 1/3 NM or better.  Figure the Fine and worse are just positive spins by Chuck, and that leaves us with about 300 sweet romance that probably hasn't seen the market.  Which publishers, which books you say?  Well, I gotta let you do some of the work!

As to who has them - I never got a chance to ask Big John, and I don't know Little John.  I guess I could call up Chuck, but for what?  I know I don't have them.  I'm thinking the Verzyls.  With romance heating up, maybe it's finally worth it for them to turn em loose.

Thanks

On 1/22/2019 at 2:47 PM, 29dukedog said:

Yes, in fact this is the only comic we know of so far that gives the cover model credit by name.  This is the book that finally allowed us to ID Miss Kelley, a few years back, before we comic geeks knew who she was.  

I enjoy her begging Eroll Flynn for a kiss in Against All Flags.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:45 PM, sagii said:
On 1/25/2019 at 5:53 PM, Dr. Love said:

Goes without saying!

:applause:Absolutely fascinating data! 

Is the total of 1016 from Chuck's catalog?  Didn't John McLaughlin buy some of the romance books before Chuck did the catalog? There were a significant number of romance books included when HA sold the McLaughlin collection.  I don't know if HA had all of McLaughlin's books or if all (or most) of the romance books they auctioned are missing from Chuck's catalog, but I think at least some are. 

18 hours ago, Yorick said:

I enjoy her begging Eroll Flynn for a kiss in Against All Flags.

Totally OT, but was there another actor who aged as rapidly as Flynn? I saw him in Operation Burma not too long ago.  Filmed when he was 35 or 36, but he looks much older. Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton are other candidates for that distinction. All big boozers apparently. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Totally OT, but was there another actor who aged as rapidly as Flynn? I saw him in Operation Burma not too long ago.  Filmed when he was 35 or 36, but he looks much older. Peter O'Toole and Richard Burton are other candidates for that distinction. All big boozers apparently. 

Alan Ladd also comes to mind 

3 minutes ago, sagii said:
9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Alan Ladd also comes to mind 

Yep.  He should be on the list. 

10 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Is the total of 1016 from Chuck's catalog?  Didn't John McLaughlin buy some of the romance books before Chuck did the catalog? There were a significant number of romance books included when HA sold the McLaughlin collection.  I don't know if HA had all of McLaughlin's books or if all (or most) of the romance books they auctioned are missing from Chuck's catalog, but I think at least some are. 

Yeh.  I'm talking about romance not in the market yet, though, more or less.  I forgot to include the 6th Street books that are still sidelined.  That's some serious Baker there too. 

10 hours ago, Dr. Love said:

Yeh.  I'm talking about romance not in the market yet, though, more or less.  I forgot to include the 6th Street books that are still sidelined.  That's some serious Baker there too. 

Wish now that I'd bought more of these while I had the chance.  I imagine we all do! Iirc, there were some listed on eBay but not yet sold when the family started cutting up rough.  In addition, I think there were some that Craig hadn't yet sent to be graded or maybe that he hadn't even gotten his hands on.