• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the rarest romance comics?
33 33

6,447 posts in this topic

Nice pickup on the Lovelorn. Can you show us a scan? (thumbs u

Sure...

8c970831-d58e-40b2-b747-d395594bf8f2_zpsdzrkxc2m.jpg

Another pointy cover. :D

_57_zpskgfoq388.jpg

I was the 2nd high bidder on the Love Journal that closed on the bay last week. I was a little shocked at what it went for. I really thought I had "manned up" but guess not. Did a boardie get it? In a way, I'm just as glad because i know if I am patient I will find a shmoo who prices it at "guide" sooner or later. Romance is HOT!

Sure...

_57_zpskgfoq388.jpg

I was the 2nd high bidder on the Love Journal that closed on the bay last week. I was a little shocked at what it went for. I really thought I had "manned up" but guess not. Did a boardie get it? In a way, I'm just as glad because i know if I am patient I will find a shmoo who prices it at "guide" sooner or later. Romance is HOT!

Sooo, you were the one who bid me up! :taptaptap:

Sure...

_57_zpskgfoq388.jpg

Sooo, you were the one who bid me up! :taptaptap:

I guess, but it appears like we were BOTH losers though...

...while I no longer have it, I found one at the LCS about 20 years ago..... probably the only 50's book I ever seriously considered calling "Mint"...... it was beautiful and only 20 bucks.....I suppose the price said something about it's desirability lol GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Any "love" for Alex Schomburg Beatrice Fairfax?

DearBeatriceFairfax06fc100_zps27cdb13d.jpg

You betcha. The five Fairfax covers and some Jon Juan stories are all of Schomburg's output for romance. So there's that, at least for romance collectors. A few of the slabbed copies are owned by board members (cue: the Great Pumpkin). Sacentaur, you remember that #8 9.4? Red cover beaut.

Sacentaur, you remember that #8 9.4? Red cover beaut.

No, sorry I don't - while such romance books would impress, they really didn't make an impression at the time (I'm a bit late to the romance appreciation club, I'm afraid).

those cowgirl romances pages are all iger shop so who really knows who did the work on those, a lot of the original art is out their I picked up three pages a few years ago two with Pete Morisi art (Johnny Dynamite)

here's a post code book that's not so common

My Secret Confessions, only issue by Sterling comics

154348.jpg.482124282e7ddf3caa9b3d59cd018794.jpg

Pointing splashes panels

pointing1_zpsivauveqm.jpg

pointing2_zpskcmgy7at.jpg

pointing3_zpszlc3srim.jpg

Very interesting. Doing a little five-cent psychoanalysis here, I wonder if these covers and panels are playing off of the hypersensitivity of adolescents (particularly, adolescent girls, I think) who are inclined to believe that the world is watching them closely and waiting to condemn them for any missteps?

Doing a little five-cent psychoanalysis here, I wonder if these covers and panels are playing off of the hypersensitivity of adolescents (particularly, adolescent girls, I think) who are inclined to believe that the world is watching them closely and waiting to condemn them for any missteps?

That seems about right. My Dad told me about a girl he knew in high school (late 40's) who became pregnant, and subsequently hanged herself (presumably having been shamed for her condition).

Comics can reflect the social traditions of a generation, I think that's what we're seeing here.