• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do any of you guys press moderns?

507 posts in this topic

Is it more of a I buy low grade books to press and sell at a profit.........so I think it should be disclosed so I don't lose money? No point in pressing twice, I think.Or I collect comics and don't like pressed books at all. Which is more of the issue? I may have missed another point to this part of the discussion ......if so add to it.

I'm gathering people don't want to buy a pressed book because they may intend to press it themselves but I'm not sure that is the case for all who don't like a pressed book. It wouldn't matter to me personally though I find myself tempted to try this out on a lot of books in my dead boxes.

Or some people consider it to be restoration, and would like to know before buying a book. The hobby has pretty much accepted it, but there are people that still care.

Jim

That too. I didn't know people considered it restoration. I personally view it a lot different than altering through trimming, chemicals, ink, and the like. All of those would keep me from buying a book. I can see why a person wouldn't want it if they perceived it to be restored.

"3.) People asking professionals to give detailed information on what they do is just silly. People aren't going to train others how to replace them, nor should anyone expect them to, and that is just fine. Its the people who arent professionals, trying to tell other people what they can or can't talk about or share, those are the real villains in this saga." (thumbs u

I would not necessarily call them villains but it sure is uncool. (shrug)

It was fun getting caught up in this thread. My general thoughts:

1.) Are there seriously people complaining that free information or discussion of a subject is occurring on the Internet? lol The only thing I can think is that these people paid someone to teach them how to press, and are grumpy about it.

2.) I am sure all the people who are now professionals or experienced pressers, had their trial and errors. The "people are going to wreck books" argument doesnt hold water. People have been wrecking books (since the 70s apparently) a long time learning how to press. If anything, its thread like these that help less books get wrecked.

3.) People asking professionals to give detailed information on what they do is just silly. People aren't going to train others how to replace them, nor should anyone expect them to, and that is just fine. Its the people who arent professionals, trying to tell other people what they can or can't talk about or share, those are the real villains in this saga.

4.) If Larry's pressed books get 9.8s from CGC, that's all that matters. IF that isnt all that matters, than its CGC that is the problem, and that start the whole other lively debate about the merits of slabbed books.

5.) Why would people need to disclose that a RAW books is pressed. The whole disclosing thing, is the fact that a slabbed book is encapsulated in plastic. If you can pick the book up, look at it, touch it, flip through it, etc, its on you. For raw books, is resto, trimming, etc that an average person needs to be told about, not pressing.

Yup.

I'll eat my hat if in a few weeks time a "comic books to heat up" thread appears discussing the easy small win 80's / 90's books to try and press to higher grades e.g. Batman / X-Men / Daredevil / Punisher etc etc... and the higher risk / reward ones... a bit like the ebay thread.

Already happening in the Copper thread...

Have never looked at GPA but if it shows that some regular issues of popular titles can bring in $60+ in 9.6 - 9.8 that are easy to get in back issue bins then this being discussed in the copper boards does not surprise me.

Is it more of a I buy low grade books to press and sell at a profit.........so I think it should be disclosed so I don't lose money? No point in pressing twice, I think.Or I collect comics and don't like pressed books at all. Which is more of the issue? I may have missed another point to this part of the discussion ......if so add to it.

I'm gathering people don't want to buy a pressed book because they may intend to press it themselves but I'm not sure that is the case for all who don't like a pressed book. It wouldn't matter to me personally though I find myself tempted to try this out on a lot of books in my dead boxes.

Or some people consider it to be restoration, and would like to know before buying a book. The hobby has pretty much accepted it, but there are people that still care.

Jim

This.

It's funny that some people, on the one hand, want to know how to press a book but then are reluctant to tell a buyer that a book has been pressed. lol

Jim

This.

It's funny that some people, on the one hand, want to know how to press a book but then are reluctant to tell a buyer that a book has been pressed. lol

I must have missed it but I didn't read in the thread that anyone would be reluctant to tell if the comic were pressed. I stated that it wouldn't bother me to buy one that was pressed. I was curious as to why it would bother anybody until Jim said some considered it restoration and others pointed out that a buyer might want to press themselves a higher grade and send in to be slabbed.

Jim

This.

I must have missed it but I didn't read in the thread that anyone would be reluctant to tell if the comic were pressed. I stated that it wouldn't bother me to buy one that was pressed. I was curious as to why it would bother anybody until Jim said some considered it restoration and others pointed out that a buyer might want to press themselves a higher grade and send in to be slabbed.

Larry himself said a few pages ago that he wouldn't tell anyone unless asked.

Jim

Larry - when selling your pressed books will you be telling your customers that they have been pressed?

Why?

If a customer sells them to me is it disclosed?

If you submit to CGC do you tell them its pressed?

What's the point?

If a customer asked me, sure.

Jim

This.

Jim

Why would I?

I do not sell pressed books in the shop or online.

When will it even come up?

Never has for me.

And for the record, the ONLY books I'm pressing are modern books I'm submitting to CGC.

They. NEVER. Ask.

Which thus resulted in a customer cancelling an order.

Roses are Red.

Violets are Blue...

Tomorrow I'm going to press some moderns for you.

uhm what? you're pressing your books now...cancel my order

Nice try.

I do not have any customers on the CGC forum...

Certainly NOT "rank"

Sorry my posts are upsetting you.

( not really )

It was fun getting caught up in this thread. My general thoughts:

1.) Are there seriously people complaining that free information or discussion of a subject is occurring on the Internet? lol The only thing I can think is that these people paid someone to teach them how to press, and are grumpy about it.

2.) I am sure all the people who are now professionals or experienced pressers, had their trial and errors. The "people are going to wreck books" argument doesnt hold water. People have been wrecking books (since the 70s apparently) a long time learning how to press. If anything, its thread like these that help less books get wrecked.

3.) People asking professionals to give detailed information on what they do is just silly. People aren't going to train others how to replace them, nor should anyone expect them to, and that is just fine. Its the people who arent professionals, trying to tell other people what they can or can't talk about or share, those are the real villains in this saga.

4.) If Larry's pressed books get 9.8s from CGC, that's all that matters. IF that isnt all that matters, than its CGC that is the problem, and that start the whole other lively debate about the merits of slabbed books.

5.) Why would people need to disclose that a RAW books is pressed. The whole disclosing thing, is the fact that a slabbed book is encapsulated in plastic. If you can pick the book up, look at it, touch it, flip through it, etc, its on you. For raw books, is resto, trimming, etc that an average person needs to be told about, not pressing.

This sums up the whole thread for me too... Well said.

Which thus resulted in a customer cancelling an order.

Roses are Red.

Violets are Blue...

Tomorrow I'm going to press some moderns for you.

uhm what? you're pressing your books now...cancel my order

Nice try.

Certainly NOT "rank"

Sorry my posts are upsetting you.

( not really )

Your posts are not upsetting me, the misinformation is.

Jim

Jim

This.

Jim

Why would I?

Cuz it's the right thing to do...Transplant discloses, MCMiles discloses, Joey discloses and Roy discloses, let the buyer make an informed choice...it's just good business. :thumbsup:

Jim

Jim

This.

Jim

Why would I?

Cuz it's the right thing to do...Transplant discloses, MCMiles discloses, Joey discloses and Roy discloses, let the buyer make an informed choice...it's just good business. :thumbsup:

Jim

Well again

And crystal clear:

I'm not going to be selling pressed comics.

I'll be selling slabs & disclose they are pressed.

OK?

Anybody interested in a copy of:

Preservation and Conservation for Libraries and Archives by Nelly Balloffet; Jenny Hille

Here's the best price I have found:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=4362535994&tab=1&searchurl=an%3Dnelly%2Bballoffet%2Bjenny%2Bhille%26amp%3Bbsi%3D0%26amp%3Bds%3D30

Untrue.

Who do I sell to via the forum?

Maybe some of you visit the shop, but there's no pressed or CGC books in the shop.

I've never sold a slab at the empire.

not once.