• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer photos back in the day

194 posts in this topic

.... that's a neat page..... interesting sample of his earliest work that still conveys the genius that is to come. One of my favorite parts of the Groth interview is Frank's lengthy discussion of movies that he loved. When interviewed, Frazetta always managed to come out like just a regular guy.... like someone you grew up with. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Frank was a complex man. While considering himself a "regular" guy he was fiercely competitive, confident and still had the same insecurity that most artists share. His great strength was his incredible imagination and taste when it came to discerning something beautiful.

.... that's a neat page..... interesting sample of his earliest work that still conveys the genius that is to come. One of my favorite parts of the Groth interview is Frank's lengthy discussion of movies that he loved. When interviewed, Frazetta always managed to come out like just a regular guy.... like someone you grew up with. GOD BLESS...

Compare to his work of just a few years later.

Frazetta 1953

Compare to his work of just a few years later.

Frazetta 1953

Wow, just awesome (worship)

From Lee's Comics was both my first buy on ebay and my first CGC books.

Thanks, Lee, that you allowed me as a zero rated ebayer to bid in your Palo Alto auctions.

..... it's very sobering to think of you as once being a "zero rated" eBayer....... GOD BLESS...

Here's a 8" x 10" glossy photo of Frazetta in his studio at his Pennsylvania home. On his drawing board is one of his Conan the Barbarian paintings for the Lancer paperback books. On the table in the foreground is a Conan Lancer paperback. I bought a handful of these type of photos from collector George Mihalik at the Tyson's Corner comic book show in Northern Virginia circa 1999. Next time I see George I'm going to ask where he got them. Some of my photos have a date stamp on the back of August 1979 with the photographer's name. I always thought these photos were made to be used in the Frazetta fanzine "Frazetta Memories" that I bought from George at the same time; but on rechecking this just now none of my photos are in this fanzine plus the fanzine is copyrighted 1977, two years before the date of my photos. I don't know if my 1979 photos were published anywhere else. Another mystery: all the Lancer Conan paperbacks with Conan Frazetta covers were published from 1966 - 1977, so why is Frazetta drawing the cover to one in a photo dated 1979? I suppose the photographer could have printed a new batch of photos in 1979 from negatives made a few years earlier.

frazetta.jpg

Here's a 8" x 10" glossy photo of Frazetta in his studio at his Pennsylvania home. On his drawing board is one of his Conan the Barbarian paintings for the Lancer paperback books. On the table in the foreground is a Conan Lancer paperback. I bought a handful of these type of photos from collector George Mihalik at the Tyson's Corner comic book show in Northern Virginia circa 1999. Next time I see George I'm going to ask where he got them. Some of my photos have a date stamp on the back of August 1979 with the photographer's name. I always thought these photos were made to be used in the Frazetta fanzine "Frazetta Memories" that I bought from George at the same time; but on rechecking this just now none of my photos are in this fanzine plus the fanzine is copyrighted 1977, two years before the date of my photos. I don't know if my 1979 photos were published anywhere else. Another mystery: all the Lancer Conan paperbacks with Conan Frazetta covers were published from 1966 - 1977, so why is Frazetta drawing the cover to one in a photo dated 1979? I suppose the photographer could have printed a new batch of photos in 1979 from negatives made a few years earlier.

frazetta.jpg

This photo is later than the Conan. First Frank is already beginning to show signs of his Thyroid illness. Second, look at the book on the table the Conan is already printed and sitting there.

The painting was placed on the easel for effect.

Okay, here's another one. I think it's from the late 1980s. Sorry about the eye injury from my exposed soft white underbelly. This one shows off some nice wall books. From left to right it's Jerry Boyd (frequent fanzine contributor), Shawn Tracy, Me, and Dan Catrall(?) We had a sale that night, and we had just finished cleaning up the store. It was also Shawn's birthday, so we brought out a cake to surprise him. My first wife Kathy took the picture.

photo alma_jerry_shawn_lee_dan.jpg

bunch of folks from 1998 and 1999

Steranko, Neil Adams, Overstate, Calhoun, Lee, Berk, Irwin Hansen Manarino, Infantino, Rich Evans, Bruce Hamilton, Julie Schwartz, Scotty Moore, , Barnhardt, Klee, Roger Hill, Maggie Thompson.....jb

145840.jpg.67e998926f0154d3f19ecde170441770.jpg

145841.jpg.1aad351ead2d447958d00b818d92576e.jpg

145842.jpg.52ac30c7cdfe241d5f6b088e66ab6743.jpg

145843.jpg.e7f4e890f556b177d5533f03fbd72990.jpg

145844.jpg.8c0056487b176325f50d94f21918241a.jpg

frazetta1999sm.jpg

Frazetta Studio circa 1992

My #1 fav Frazetta! Sound is #2. :whee:

Thx for posting!!!

Believe it or not that one may actually go on the market. Much wheeling and dealing going on in Frazetta land these days. :makepoint:

We sold Sound about a year ago. It is a beautiful painting in person.

bunch of folks from 1998 and 1999

Steranko, Neil Adams, Overstate, Calhoun, Lee, Berk, Irwin Hansen Manarino, Infantino, Rich Evans, Bruce Hamilton, Julie Schwartz, Scotty Moore, , Barnhardt, Klee, Roger Hill, Maggie Thompson.....jb

Great ones Jon, sadly last time that Carmine was really healthy. It is good to see him smiling that way.

frazetta1999sm.jpg

Thx for posting!!!

Believe it or not that one may actually go on the market. Much wheeling and dealing going on in Frazetta land these days. :makepoint:

:takeit: I have my entire comic collection to trade. :luhv:

2014 the year pigs fly...

frazetta1999sm.jpg

Thx for posting!!!

:takeit: I have my entire comic collection to trade. :luhv:

2014 the year pigs fly...

So I can put you down for both :)

1593_1.gif

Pict0052sh.jpg

SD1995 Sergio Aragonés, Mark Schultz, Frazetta. Look closely in the background and you will see the prelim for SOUND we sold it at the show.

The actual painting here in my living room a year ago.

Now available in our current auction!