• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer photos back in the day

194 posts in this topic

Late eighties pre-new museum

Frank Frazetta in his studio.

Frazetta1999-1.jpg

Is Frank coloring a WSF print? Mine is dated 1972. Was this a new edition, Joe?

No, actually it is one of the first ones he did, however, the owner framed it from the start and was not careful about light and it faded badly. A friend, he asked me if Frank could do anything about it. I brought it out to him and he gracefully recolored it. Good lesson about water colors .....always use UV glass.

By the way, note the baseball glove that he had always at the ready!

I had mine framed 22 years ago and it's still perfect. UV glass, baby! (thumbs u

Here's a more recent photo, from about 10 years ago, but it might be more of interest to Golden Age fans.

Here's a box of around 1,500 original owner golden age comics that I obtained.

photo 49600004.jpg

(thumbs u

1593_1.gif

Pict0052sh.jpg

SD1995 Sergio Aragonés, Mark Schultz, Frazetta. Look closely in the background and you will see the prelim for SOUND we sold it at the show.

The actual painting here in my living room a year ago.

Now available in our current auction!

fraz5.jpg

How about this Frank Frazetta, Tim and Greg Hildebrandt and Joe Quesada Chief Creative Officer Of Marvel Entertainment and artist!

Here's a more recent photo, from about 10 years ago, but it might be more of interest to Golden Age fans.

Here's a box of around 1,500 original owner golden age comics that I obtained.

photo 49600004.jpg

What an awesome photo! I'm not sure what's cooler - the comics or the fact you're wearing a shirt this time :baiting:

This could be a fun thread. a collector sent me this image from our booth dated 1988 from a NY comic-con. Pre-internet or auction houses. It was tough to find key books. I bet there are plenty of great pics of dealer displays back through the ages. Perhaps prior to 10 years a good cut-off?

As an FYI we started as Comic Book and Art dealers in the seventies and were originally named Comics and Stories. That is my son poking his head into the shot who is now 30 and a lawyer.

nycc1988-md.jpg

That silverage AS #1 up in the right corner lol

Also the Conan #1 to the right of the chair. :) Those were the only two silver age books on the wall. Conan sure has fallen some since.

Great thread! Never thought I'd see a pic of Frazetta and Vallejo together.

This could be a fun thread. a collector sent me this image from our booth dated 1988 from a NY comic-con. Pre-internet or auction houses. It was tough to find key books. I bet there are plenty of great pics of dealer displays back through the ages. Perhaps prior to 10 years a good cut-off?

As an FYI we started as Comic Book and Art dealers in the seventies and were originally named Comics and Stories. That is my son poking his head into the shot who is now 30 and a lawyer.

nycc1988-md.jpg

That swilverage AS #1 up in the right corner lol

Looks like an Avengers #1 and a DD #1 stuck up there as well!

I'd heard that Action #1 was easier to find at shows than Marvel #1 and this rack seems to verify that.

Anybody else care to comment?

nycc1988-md.jpg

That swilverage AS #1 up in the right corner lol

Looks like an Avengers #1 and a DD #1 stuck up there as well!

I'd heard that Action #1 was easier to find at shows than Marvel #1 and this rack seems to verify that.

Anybody else care to comment?

Neither was exactly common, but that's right in my recollection.

couple more Carter Eisner, Vin Sullivan, Julie Schwartz, Murphy Anderson , Phil Barnhardt, Joe Simon, John Snyder....Julie Schwarz, Carol Overstreet.....Dave Siegel, Peter Klee, Shelley Moldorf, Richard Evans

Good one Jon! Nice shot of Nadia

These look like 1998?

1998 indeed it was......

An unbelievable gathering of legends----put Eisner to the side and Severin.....there was Fred Guardinneer and Vincent Sulllivan of 'tec 1 fame and , Murphy Anderson, Julie Schwartz, Roy Thomas Joe Simon The last great gathering of mythical legends

Whatever became of Gary Carter? Does he still collect comics and does he still have all his Church copies? He had a ton of DC Church copies. I did manage to buy a Church Detective Comics from him. I guess he stilll has his collection; he had one of the best around. Anywa, I haven't seen him since the 1990s.

I talk to Gary every few months - don't know all details - think most books sold - but he talks about starting up some smaller scale collecting - will update this as hear more - but I know he's grateful that us folks still think about him...

cheers, Pat (and '98 was a Blast!)

I talk to Gary every few months - don't know all details - think most books sold - but he talks about starting up some smaller scale collecting - will update this as hear more - but I know he's grateful that us folks still think about him...

Please tell Gary that Steve Roberts says hi. I bought the Mile High copy of Detective Comics from him at the 1993 SDCC. Tell him that I gave him a Cherokee Comics catalog from the late 1960s He was really pleased with that. He was going to offer me a free renewal of my CBM publication in exchange but later discovered that he wasn't permitted to do so and instead gave me $25.00.

Also, and this is important, I bought what he claimed was the Mile High copy of Mystery In Space 34; when I submitted it to CGC about four years ago, the book wasn't on their Church copy Master List and thus did not give it the Church Designation. I was, to say the least, disappointed.

SLR

couple more Carter Eisner, Vin Sullivan, Julie Schwartz, Murphy Anderson , Phil Barnhardt, Joe Simon, John Snyder....Julie Schwarz, Carol Overstreet.....Dave Siegel, Peter Klee, Shelley Moldorf, Richard Evans

These look like 1998?

1998 indeed it was......

An unbelievable gathering of legends----put Eisner to the side and Severin.....there was Fred Guardinneer and Vincent Sulllivan of 'tec 1 fame and , Murphy Anderson, Julie Schwartz, Roy Thomas Joe Simon The last great gathering of mythical legends

Whatever became of Gary Carter? Does he still collect comics and does he still have all his Church copies? He had a ton of DC Church copies. I did manage to buy a Church Detective Comics from him. I guess he stilll has his collection; he had one of the best around. Anywa, I haven't seen him since the 1990s.

We saw not only Gary at Comic-Con back in the 1990's but also his father and his wife. Gary also did the Shrine Comic Book Show in Los Angeles. Does he still live close to San Diego? I really seeing him and his family at Comic-Con and also his great Comicbook Marketplace publication! Those were the good ole days! EJR

These look like 1998?

1998 indeed it was......

We saw not only Gary at Comic-Con back in the 1990's but also his father and his wife. Gary also did the Shrine Comic Book Show in Los Angeles. Does he still live close to San Diego? I really seeing him and his family at Comic-Con and also his great Comicbook Marketplace publication! Those were the good ole days! EJR

I talked to Gary's father, Nick (Maurice) last month. At 88 years old, he's doing quite well! Nick said he believes Gary's collection is all but gone.

West

Please tell Gary that Steve Roberts says hi. I bought the Mile High copy of Detective Comics from him at the 1993 SDCC. Tell him that I gave him a Cherokee Comics catalog from the late 1960s He was really pleased with that. He was going to offer me a free renewal of my CBM publication in exchange but later discovered that he wasn't permitted to do so and instead gave me $25.00.

Also, and this is important, I bought what he claimed was the Mile High copy of Mystery In Space 34; when I submitted it to CGC about four years ago, the book wasn't on their Church copy Master List and thus did not give it the Church Designation. I was, to say the least, disappointed.

SLR

.... I'd be curious about the nature of the "Master List". I'm sure it isn't just the 1977 CBG sale catalog .... as that is missing quite a few of the original books.... many of which were purchased by Rowe, Hamilton, and the Carter brothers. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

SLR

.... I'd be curious about the nature of the "Master List". I'm sure it isn't just the 1977 CBG sale catalog .... as that is missing quite a few of the original books.... many of which were purchased by Rowe, Hamilton, and the Carter brothers. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have a photocopy of the original (?) Mile High catalog list that I got from JB. It's pretty darn inclusive, with some exceptions. Jon, do you know how 'complete' that list was?