• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

OK

Let's try it without that line....

:wishluck:

I will say right up front that I've not read the entire thread, because life is much too short. But that will not stop me from making the observation that this is an amazing group of people, and a collective resource second to none (even with some of our heads occasionally planted firmly in )) ), and I'd hate to see it splintered over varying perceptions of a corporate monolith. In my view, any distraction tending toward division is to be vigilantly monitored, if this forum would seek to fulfill its awesome potential.

No matter what contortion the US Supreme Court may or may not come up with next about the "personhood" of corporations, some of you need to set down the Kool-Aid long enough to realize that the CGC is a for-profit business entity, and an extremely successful one. It's damn foolishness to take offense on its part at criticism directed its way, when it "hosts this forum for us." People, this is not your Aunt Pat having people over to her home for desert, or your Uncle Bob, or anyone else. A corporation does not extend "kindness," ever. (The very idea is like attributing human emotion to robots. It may be endearing and "feel good," but bears no relationship to the reality of what is happening, and sheds no useful light.) Rather, corporations choose to undertake specific business strategies, sometimes aligned with the public good when consistent with maximizing profit, and many other times, NOT.

Now, bringing the question home, and speaking with regard to this Forum: the CGC’s motive is absolutely not to be mistaken for a "kindness.” Remember that homespun talk of “building consensus,” seeking out the input of those interested,” and other such lines of frosting upon a cow pie are all part of a consistent business strategy. If you’re rich, powerful, strategically useful or otherwise a “player,” the CGC will take your calls. Otherwise, just forget it.

Before the bombs start, please note I referred to these forums as “smart” business practice. Smart, 1) because many, being good and innocent people, have no clue as to what is actually happening; and 2) because “giving back” to the fairly affluent community that keeps feeding you about as much cash as it can spare, in such a manner as to allow surveillance and/or effective monitoring of trends, etc and etc., is basic shrewd business practice. To mistake it for kindness is understandable but sloppy, fueling a general lack of clarity in thought, that in turn deepens all kinds of fault lines, with the cumulative effect of creating a less comfortable and mutually supportive atmosphere here in this.... whatever it is.

Folks on "either side of the gap" might appear to come on a little bit strong, if statements have to be made to the effect that "even if a mistake, it does not invalidate the good CGC has done." I see no such scales in place in any given conversation. Or put another way, that's simply not the conversation that is happening. Every person will make mistakes, and every corporation I have ever encountered will manipulate, deceive, and "spin " the truth to serve its own purposes, as a matter of business practice. Do not be fooled.

Each of you, I would suggest, enjoys a privileged leadership role in serving the "comic book community," as a whole. I am less interested in attacking the CGC on grounds of personal opinion, than in offering my 2 cents toward a more positive community closer to its potential. You might find it strangely liberating. And if the Company and the teat off which you feed are too holy, or too sacred for you to even bear the idea of “violating,” then you just might want to take a look inside yourself, at a very personal, fundamental, and important question.

And it’s simply this: do you remember why we are even here? Do you?

While I'm sure there's no one answer to that question, in the vast majority of cases responses will boil down to a similar conclusion: and it's not for the benefit of Big Business, but rather as a result/ expression of our own living, happily irrational love of comic books as an art form. I honestly feel deep in my heart that that bond between us partakes of the sacred, and ties us together in important, constructive, and all kinds of cool ways. I would not trade for any amount of money the unlikely and wonderful relationships I've built up over the years in my pursuing the hobby, whenever and wherever and however.

I’m just hoping that we can all help one another to think a little bigger. All one can do is try. So I am. Thanks for lending an ear.

I like this...

"And it’s simply this: do you remember why we are even here?"

"... a result/ expression of our own living, happily irrational love of comic books as an art form. I honestly feel deep in my heart that that bond between us partakes of the sacred, and ties us together in important, constructive, and all kinds of cool ways. I would not trade for any amount of money the unlikely and wonderful relationships I've built up over the years in my pursuing the hobby, whenever and wherever and however."

Well said! :applause:

Ummm... that faint whisper you hear might be my voice, somehow miraculously reaching you from the CGC Gulag.

”CENSORED.” Well, that‘s interesting; it appears that without even half trying I’ve stumbled up against the outer limits of expression acceptable in this Forum. Always useful information regarding any chat forum, and (I suppose especially these days) one corporate-sponsored in an era in which the acquisitive lust of the corporate sector extends not only to the contents of our wallets, alone.

Listen, CGC people: BeforeYouHangUpOonMeAgain, (he squeezed in breathlessly, as if paranoid that he might be suddenly cut off and left “dangling”on the line) please hear me out. I am here neither to inflame, nor attack. I can see how certain portions of my message might have offended your corporate personhood, as long as I’m indulging in that fiction, but please allow me to point out that it was not YOU whom I was addressing, thank you very much. I was under the impression this was an open forum available for the robust and diverse sharing of ideas between people, and will proceed by continuing to treat it as such.

That being said, and to allay your possible concerns, I will refrain from further engaging in direct obscenity in any direct reference to the Corporation, even if I belive such expression fully and richly justified.

Last night I wrote in a completely positive spirit (even if a bit unorthodox in my expression) precisely because I do appreciate and value this Forum. I was prompted to participate because I perceived a series of hurtful divisions growing amongst its participants that I felt might not be completely necessary, were they addressed directly. I took the time and applied my energy to comment for two principal reasons. First, because my love of comic books and passion for comic art runs deeper than I feel any need to explain, and second, because it is my personal belief that the People of this Forum are a unique and critically important pool of talent, on several levels, and a live-wire, real time collective resource, second to none.

I do not appreciate being censored. I will post this to see whether my voice will be tolerated, because I dislike wasting my time. I offer a promise of positive contribution, which in all candor may at times involve criticism or critique. But I am not of the kind to attack or to criticize, just because. That is not my inclination, at all. Life is too short. Yet I will share my personal view that the CGC has not heard nearly enough effective criticism, and a posterior so well kissed for so long lacks real incentive to take any action other than remain in place and continue to fatten, shifting its considerable bulk only occasionally as required to receive another obeisant smooch.

But look: I am no fool, and it’s quite evident that the CGC is part of the game (unless it continues to shoot itself in the foot with improvident action, or otherwise act in a foolish manner.) Believe it or not, I am an extremely constructive individual and am not here to “burn the house down,” or even make a spectacle out of myself. (Whomever chose to push the “Censor”/Bleep button put me in that position. It might be best to advise that person, and/or his /her supervisors (in a spirit of full respect) that I am not the kind of person you necessarily want to see riled up. And leave it at that.)

Back to my colleagues on the Forum: like many of you, I have a “day job" (sadly) not involving comic books, and (like many more) sell on eBay (and otherwise) fine comic books at fair prices, each backed with a full and unconditional guarantee of satisfaction. My point: I share many of the passions, affinities, interests and concerns of the other participants of this forum, and have no intention or agenda outside of meaningful contribution. I hope that I will be allowed that privilege..

I’ll check in to see if this post has vanished by tomorrow. If not, I will post an edited and more measured version of the “Post that Was." Thank you, folks.

Now I see that the Post has been (mostly) replaced. That's a positive move. I want to say, first, that if the decision was made by an individual volunteer, I hope that he or she will accept my sincere apologies. If permitted I would withdraw that portion of my stinging rebuke, and tell you that "I understand." It has never been my intention to add to anyone's burden, and it has always pissed me off, the way the folks available are the ones who take the grief, while the real miscreants actually responsible for whatever people are upset about, are NEVER on the scene.

That aside, I will try to communicate more effectively in the future to help this Forum, in a positive spirit and however I can. I am not "anti CGC" as much as I am, "a lover of comic books." My beef with the former arises only when the two conflict.

I look forward to positive and mutually beneficial dialogue, and nothing different. Just one guy here, with one voice. If you feel I came on strong, that's your right and I respect that. I might ask only that you please bear with me. My intentions are good.

And I am among the biggest believers out there in this Forum, and its potential.

Edited by phampton1737

I'm not trying to talk down to you in any way, just trying to explain because you are fairly new.

There is an impolite word filter. If you type any number of school yard terms, you will get the word "spoon" instead...or some version of that word. I don't pay much attention because I don't usually use those words when I type publically, but they've been quite inventive with some of the newer "phrases".

If you type one of the words you know will be "spooned" but "mask it" by using asterisks as you did, it's most likely going to get pulled.

From my experience, if you keep the language business like, they will let you post quite a lot.

I wouldn't take the pulling of the post as much more than that. We've had quite a bit of stuff written here that is not exactly CGC friendly and it stays.

I've seen RMA post any number of things against the mods, they have not been removed. However, I've never seen him use curse words (just one example)

You are correct, this is a business hosting this site...it's not Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park;) their playground, their rules.

For those of you who have been here forever and have copied the masking and were complaining about having their posts pulled...

Ummm.... doh!

Now if they pull the post with the masking deleted, that's another story.

I'm not trying to talk down to you in any way, just trying to explain because you are fairly new.

There is an impolite word filter. If you type any number of school yard terms, you will get the word "spoon" instead...or some version of that word. I don't pay much attention because I don't usually use those words when I type publically, but they've been quite inventive with some of the newer "phrases".

If you type one of the words you know will be "spooned" but "mask it" by using asterisks as you did, it's most likely going to get pulled.

From my experience, if you keep the language business like, they will let you post quite a lot.

I wouldn't take the pulling of the post as much more than that. We've had quite a bit of stuff written here that is not exactly CGC friendly and it stays.

I've seen RMA post any number of things against the mods, they have not been removed. However, I've never seen him use curse words (just one example)

You are correct, this is a business hosting this site...it's not Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park;) their playground, their rules.

For those of you who have been here forever and have copied the masking and were complaining about having their posts pulled...

Ummm.... doh!

Now if they pull the post with the masking deleted, that's another story.

They deleted my post. It was a once sentence reply to someone as to why Phantom's post was deleted. (shrug)

Yet I will share my personal view that the CGC has not heard nearly enough effective criticism, and a posterior so well kissed for so long lacks real incentive to take any action other than remain in place and continue to fatten, shifting its considerable bulk only occasionally as required to receive another obeisant smooch.

:applause:

agree with the poof'd post, except CGC is not a coporation, but a bunch of guys posing as a corporation.

I wish they would run their business like a proper corporation. It's the garage business mentality that led to this thread in the first place.