• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

If you knew how to do something which was in demand to the point where people paid you to do it based on the skill rather than just the labor, would you teach them how to do it?

That's how it works routinely in the Arts and Sciences.

For CGC though, not at all.

Not really. It depends on the area of art and science. If it's proprietary (like a biological firm's drug or medicinal secrets) they won't release it until they can monetize it.

Sad but true as I think we'd be much more advanced in those fields if there were more knowledge sharing going on.

You'd de- incentivize the entire industry. Without the prospect of a profitable monopoly you can't get the research funded. NOT sharing is what makes research possible 2c

That's definitely a point against it and I really do understand that. I still believe in a lot of a cases a better system could be developed which could benefit more people by the advancement of knowledge and still retain profitability. Greed just plays too big a part in the whole equation for that to happen.

Edit:

Here is a super simplified example of what I'm trying to say:

Company A puts $10 million into R&D for a specific drug that they predict will be a $20 million a year drug.

Company B is doing the same thing. Company A and Company B have both figured out a few different things working to create this drug that the other hasn't yet. They don't want to share that information because they don't want to share the $20 million a year they will get from the drug.

However, if they had worked together they could have put the drug on the market 2 years earlier, split the profits and be working on another project.

Again, over simplified but that's kind of the concept I was implying with the knowledge sharing being a beneficial thing.

Edited by techtre2003

Restoration isn't a matter of opinion. :gossip:

You are such an absolutist. How do you even function in a world where almost nothing is absolute. :frustrated:

Restoration is not a matter of opinion but whether it is detected or not is.

And unicorns don't fart. Or do they?

Greed just plays too big a part in the whole equation for that to happen.

Greed often has part of it's roots in just not trusting the other person.

If everyone were open to sharing we'd probably have less greed. The problem is that you or I likely don't trust that anyone will share as much as you and I are...so we need to protect ourselves. Since monetary value is king, we protect ourselves by monetizing everything we have to offer.

You are such an absolutist. How do you even function in a world where almost nothing is absolute. :frustrated:

Didn't we cover this already?

Greed just plays too big a part in the whole equation for that to happen.

Greed often has part of it's roots in just not trusting the other person.

If everyone were open to sharing we'd probably have less greed. The problem is that you or I likely don't trust that anyone will share as much as you and I are...so we need to protect ourselves. Since monetary value is king, we protect ourselves by monetizing everything we have to offer.

That's where contracts and lawyers come in I guess ;)

I'm not suggesting everyone should be open to sharing everything. But when you are focused only on how you can benefit from a situation you close a lot of doors of opportunity. Many times, those missed opportunities could really end up benefiting you more when you look at the big picture.

It's the unicorn circle jerk.

It's the unicorn circle jerk.

OK, I was just talking about unicorn farts. Not bodily fluids. :sick:

If you knew how to do something which was in demand to the point where people paid you to do it based on the skill rather than just the labor, would you teach them how to do it?

Not really. It depends on the area of art and science. If it's proprietary (like a biological firm's drug or medicinal secrets) they won't release it until they can monetize it.

Arts and Sciences, not Industry.

Besides, academic scientists monetize their commercializable technologies through patents and the University technology transfer system. It doesn't stop them from teaching undergraduates, graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and junior colleagues how to perform complex techniques they've mastered over many years, and how to think about how to select and address key scientific problems (the art of scientific investigation).

Arts and Sciences, not Industry.

Besides, academic scientists monetize their commercializable technologies through patents and the University technology transfer system. It doesn't stop them from teaching undergraduates, graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and junior colleagues how to perform complex techniques and think about how to select and address key scientific problems.

Fair enough. :)

Because (wait for it) no one really knows if the book is indeed trimmed. How do we know it's trimmed? Because the person who screwed up multiple times has assured us that now this time, with 100% veracity, it's trimmed? We'll never know.

The only real debate is regarding how often incidents like this occur.

Oh, and Dan's carpet.

:ohnoez:

Using that line of reasoning, nobody really knows anything.

Bingo.

Which is why I'm not subbing to anyone anytime soon. And why, the "We screwed up, we'll try harder" isn't enough for me. I'd have more confidence if the answer was "We believe (insert problem) happened, and we're doing (insert solution) to make sure it doesn't happen anymore."

Cool, so in the mean time make sure you use that same line of reasoning when you deal with law enforcement, government, the media and of course the wife. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mocking you at all. I'm genuinely a relativist at heart and I don't think there are many things in this life that are 100%. There's 100% effort but not 100% results. That's why I've basically accepted the fact that I am willing to move through life and bank on 98-99% assurances.

I believe that anybody looking for 100% assurance is rarely going to find it.

I just find it so amazing that people expect stuff like 100% performance from their entertainment (whether it's sports or comics or their stripper) but are willing to accept mediocre performances from the medical industry, the food industry, the media, their government and even their own spouses and anything else that really affects the rest of our lives.

The hippie has spoken.

:preach:

You see CGC's resto detect as 98-99%.

I see CGC's resto detect as ??? because nobody knows.

Not expecting 100%. But a book that flip-flopped four times is incompetence.

What % of incompetence is ??? but not knowing is enough for me to not send them my books. BUT, I tend to send in books for my own collection. You're sending them books to sell, so it's understandable that you would care less in the long run.

You're sending them books to sell, so it's understandable that you would care less in the long run.

I don't send in my books because I care less. I send in my books because it's really my only option when running an internet sales store. If course I care.

(shrug)

I think I'm going to skip the circle jerk this time around & just accept micro-trimming as the new pressing.

:facepalm:

(shrug)

I wouldn't be shocked if that's what it becomes.

When it was first revealed that comics were being pressed (before & after scans of books with significant grade bumps were posted to these fourms)....the villagers began to riot. There was outrage & distain.

Now everyone & their little sister presses books.

It's amazing what can happen when people are presented with an opportunity to print their own money.

I think I'm going to skip the circle jerk this time around & just accept micro-trimming as the new pressing.

:facepalm:

(shrug)

I wouldn't be shocked if that's what it becomes.

When it was first revealed that comics were being pressed (before & after scans of books with significant grade bumps were posted to these fourms)....the villagers began to riot. There was outrage & distain.

Now everyone & their little sister presses books.

It's amazing what can happen when people are presented with an opportunity to print their own money.

I remember those days well :cloud9: Life was better when we were all ignorant to the rapidly expanding cottage industry.

Is this thread about carpets and unicorn farts now?

And are both related?

There appears to be a direct correlation....

Have you ever smelled a carpet from the 70's?

Is this thread about carpets and unicorn farts now?

And are both related?

There appears to be a direct correlation....

Have you ever smelled a carpet from the 70's?

I'm not into older women....