• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

This is all I want: what exact physical characteristics make it trimmed. Like, tiny chips off edge from being cut after ink dried or color of edge paper lighter than other edges or smoothness of edge not compatible with other edges. SOMETHING.

This is all I want: what exact physical characteristics make it trimmed? Like, tiny chips off edge from being cut after ink dried or color of edge paper lighter than other edges or smoothness of edge not compatible with other edges? SOMETHING.

Yeah, hang on for those. They'll be releasing detection methods right after their grading criteria. Just be patient. :juggle:

This is all I want: what exact physical characteristics make it trimmed? Like, tiny chips off edge from being cut after ink dried or color of edge paper lighter than other edges or smoothness of edge not compatible with other edges? SOMETHING.

Yeah, hang on for those. They'll be releasing detection methods right after their grading criteria. Just be patient. :juggle:

Jesus.

Can't anyone just do something cool one time for the hell of it? Huh? for the people that keep them in business??

Because (wait for it) no one really knows if the book is indeed trimmed. How do we know it's trimmed? Because the person who screwed up multiple times has assured us that now this time, with 100% veracity, it's trimmed? We'll never know.

The only real debate is regarding how often incidents like this occur.

Oh, and Dan's carpet.

:ohnoez:

Using that line of reasoning, nobody really knows anything.

Bingo.

Which is why I'm not subbing to anyone anytime soon. And why, the "We screwed up, we'll try harder" isn't enough for me. I'd have more confidence if the answer was "We believe (insert problem) happened, and we're doing (insert solution) to make sure it doesn't happen anymore."

Cool, so in the mean time make sure you use that same line of reasoning when you deal with law enforcement, government, the media and of course the wife. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mocking you at all. I'm genuinely a relativist at heart and I don't think there are many things in this life that are 100%. There's 100% effort but not 100% results. That's why I've basically accepted the fact that I am willing to move through life and bank on 98-99% assurances.

I believe that anybody looking for 100% assurance is rarely going to find it.

I just find it so amazing that people expect stuff like 100% performance from their entertainment (whether it's sports or comics or their stripper) but are willing to accept mediocre performances from the medical industry, the food industry, the media, their government and even their own spouses and anything else that really affects the rest of our lives.

The hippie has spoken.

:preach:

I think I'm going to skip the circle jerk this time around & just accept micro-trimming as the new pressing.

Excuse me while I give you a :cloud9: and a :eyeroll: in the same breath.

:foryou:

You just love pushing the boundaries to test them and see if there will be an echo coming back.

Nobody is OK with undisclosed trimming just like nobody is OK with unicorn farts. And never will be.

as an expert on 70's carpets. those are two very different carpets.

You've been old ladiesin different houses haven't you, oh the joys of youth.

There are not very many girls anymore with '70's carpets hm

The best part about having sex with old ladies is the smell of cinnamon.

Jesus.

Can't anyone just do something cool one time for the hell of it? Huh? for the people that keep them in business??

They already explained it to you.

'Extra scrutiny' is applied whenever the 'extremely subtle' is confronted.

That book was never a 6.0 purple or blue.

Well, it was graded 6.0 blue twice and 7.0 purple once (not 6.0), but you have a point.

All possibly trimmed books should be put into gray labels.

Solved. ;)

But then what would people call them? GLOD is already taken, right?

Jesus.

I just wanna know what their scrutinizing revealed, that's all. So we can all better understand what happened then maybe we can watch out for it.

You've been old ladiesin different houses haven't you, oh the joys of youth.

There are not very many girls anymore with '70's carpets hm

The best part about having sex with old ladies is the smell of cinnamon.

Hard candies. :cloud9:

Jesus.

I just wanna know what their scrutinizing revealed, that's all. So we can all better understand what happened then maybe we can watch out for it.

If you knew how to do something which was in demand to the point where people paid you to do it based on the skill rather than just the labor, would you teach them how to do it?

Jesus.

If you knew how to do something which was in demand to the point where people paid you to do it based on the skill rather than just the labor, would you teach them how to do it?

Yes because it would not impact my business. Being able to detect stuff and having a business that slabs stuff are separate. An auto shop can explain to me what was wrong with my car and I wont jeopardize their business. I dont have a shop. People still have to come to them to get their car fixed, regardless of what I know about cars.

I had my doubts about the validity of Dan's claims at first, but that was just ignorance on my part.

Take him for his word and stop this same rug wildly_fanciful_statement-ery.

70's carpets were always shaggy, rough and wild.

:whistle:

That's how it works routinely in the Arts and Sciences.

For CGC though, not at all.

Jesus.

Yes because it would not impact my business. Being able to detect stuff and having a business that slabs stuff are separate. An auto shop can explain to me what was wrong with my car and I wont jeopardize their business. I dont have a shop. People still have to come to them to get their car fixed, regardless of what I know about cars.

You are incorrect about the bolded part, no they don't. Not if they knew how to fix it themselves and didn't mind doing the work. Your analogy is weak as there is a lot of labor involved in fixing a car that people would not want to do even if they knew how to fix it.

Whereas in detecting trimming in a comic book, there is no labor involved. A minute or two of your time, if you knew how to do it.

That's how it works routinely in the Arts and Sciences.

For CGC though, not at all.

Nor in software either which is where I work. Software companies don't just go giving out their code to people or business partners. IP is IP, whether it be software or resto detection. If I were them I wouldn't disclose it either. Why give up your competitive advantage?

Jesus.

I wouldn't expect them to divulge any trade secrets, but a somewhat vague overall idea of what to look at would be nice. It's just kind of hard to swallow that certain books are trimmed because "we are saying it is trimmed". It would be nice to hear "we believe it's trimmed because..."

I think we can all agree micro-trimming is TOUGH to catch so if CGC truly believes they have the best in the business doing it (and they might, I don't know) I wouldn't think they would have anything to worry about sharing a little information.

I had my doubts about the validity of Dan's claims at first, but that was just ignorance on my part.

Take him for his word and stop this same rug wildly_fanciful_statement-ery.

We had the carpet installed new in 2005 when we bought the house :o

Jesus.

I wouldn't expect them to divulge any trade secrets, but a somewhat vague overall idea of what to look at would be nice. It's just kind of hard to swallow that certain books are trimmed because "we are saying it is trimmed". It would be nice to hear "we believe it's trimmed because..."

I think we can all agree micro-trimming is TOUGH to catch so if CGC truly believes they have the best in the business doing it (and they might, I don't know) I wouldn't think they would have anything to worry about sharing a little information.

I agree that it would be nice to get an explanation, as that would remove the temptation to believe that their diagnosis is simply a guess in cases like this, but in practice this is problematic for CGC. Your second statement I've bolded isn't really compatible with the first bolded passage. If they tell us what they found and how they found it, that will often require a trade secret in the detection of trimming to be divulged. It's not likely to happen,