• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/04/when-a-cgcd-comic-goes-from-unrestores-to-restored-and-back-again/

Although I'm sure all interested parties have probably heard about this story by now. Bleeding Cool wanted to make sure too.

Someone mentioned that both carpets looked the same, now that I see the two shots together I can see what they meant.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04/04/when-a-cgcd-comic-goes-from-unrestores-to-restored-and-back-again/

Although I'm sure all interested parties have probably heard about this story by now. Bleeding Cool wanted to make sure too.

Someone mentioned that both carpets looked the same, now that I see the two shots together I can see what they meant.

hm...I've thought to myself, it wouldn't surprise me if Dan and the new buyer should be the same person.

hm...I've thought to myself, it wouldn't surprise me if Dan and the new buyer should be the same person.

That's just ridiculous. There is a pattern on the first one. The 2nd one is just a white carpet that has been worn.

I'm glad you barney fife's aren't handling my case.

:facepalm:

That's just ridiculous. There is a pattern on the first one. The 2nd one is just a white carpet that has been worn.

I passed judgement on you the second day I joined, never liked you.

I don't think you will find anyone here who would argue that CGC isn't the best 3rd party grading service, I mean who is their competition?

This is exactly what I've been asking. This discussion between you and I hasn't been about who is better than CGC because there isn't.

If you don't use CGC (or any established, credible 3rd party service) then what are your options?

You are either relying on someone else or yourself. Those are your options.

In other words, unless you have someone spectacular in your back pocket (like Fishler) there are no other viable options.

Maybe there should be another option.

1. I'm not so sure about that, the 2nd picture is more cropped, there looks like there is a pattern on both, but the camera settings are different, there is less color in the 2nd picture of the book as well.

2. I don't CARE who the 2nd submitter is, the result is still the same. I can understand the reluctance to come out of the shadows.

I was just replying to a comment made before...

:o

Solid sensationalism.

"They also take a hard line on the restoration of comic books, noting when people have attempted to better the condition of books through artificial changes."

meh

It's the same rug. :gossip:

You really think so?

Dan's original pic has a rug that it mottled - even in the small area under the slab you can see specks of brown.

On the second pic I don't see any mottled, brown spots. There are some 'shadows' but I don't think they are actually brown spots.

You really think so?

Dan's original pic has a rug that it mottled - even in the small area under the slab you can see specks of brown.

On the second pic I don't see any mottled, brown spots. There are some 'shadows' but I don't think they are actually brown spots.

Could Dan have more than one room in his house?

You really think so?

You really think so?

Of course but I'm not saying Dan isn't the person who now owns the book (and I don't personally care). I'm just saying that those two rugs don't look the same to me.

We have a rug just like that one in the 2nd pic.

Maybe I'm the submitter. lol

Well, I'm not. But I could be. But I'm not. Promise.

The pictures were taken at two different angles. :gossip:

That's the first thing that caught my eye but I have yet to spot a mottled, brown strand of carpet in the unrestored pic.

The restored pic is full of them, even just next to the flash where the light is the brightest.

???

You really think so?

The odds of any one house having two different types of carpet is probably less than that of any two houses having nearly identical looking carpet, especially if it's speckled off-white short pile.