• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw the new Captain America, The Winter Soldier

525 posts in this topic

So much for Captain America not going over well with international markets.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Already Closes In On $100 Million In China

The past few years have seen China become a vital market for Hollywood blockbusters, and Captain America: The Winter Soldier is no exception as it is already closing in on the $100 million mark after just 17 days of release. The exact number is $98.27 million according to The Hollywood Reporter, and part of why its worldwide cume is just days away from passing $600 million.

WOW!

(worship)

Don't you know - foreign audiences are dumb.

I never thought so.

:foryou:

I know. I'm just paraphrasing somebody else.

just saw it last night and enjoyed it, I don't know much about cap so I have a few questions.

1. what are the things that make people think crossbones will be in the net one? The name of the SHIELD Strike team leader is the same as Crossbones in the comic.

2. who's the blonde agent living next to cap? She was called Sharon and Agent 13 in the movie. I didn't hear them say her last name in the movie, but in the comics she ends up being related to Peggy Carter. Since Cap was in suspended animation for 70 years in the film, vs 20 years in the comics, the familial relationship between Sharon and Peggy will probably differ.

finally a comic question.

what issues actually show cap being blown out of the sky and falling into the ocean and getting all froze up? Avengers #4, and Captain America #100 come to mind.

To clarify something, in the comic Peggy Carter is a French resistance freedom fighter, not a British agent, and she remains nameless for some time. Her identity as being the older sister of Sharon (Agent 13) Carter is revealed in later books.

Edited by ucleben

oh, and another thing, didn't they mention Stephan strange as a target when they were naming them off? new dr strange movie rumblings? or just possible appearances?

Yes, he was definitely mentioned as a potential target.

To your other questions, dunno who the agent that lived next to Cap was, but I liked her. Very cute girl.

Isn't it Avengers #4 that tells the events that led to him being frozen in the ice? I'm not sure if they retell that in TOS #63 (never read it).

Isn't it Avengers #4 that tells the events that led to him being frozen in the ice? I'm not sure if they retell that in TOS #63 (never read it).

It's been a while since I read TOS# 63, and while it tells the origin of Captain America , I don't recall it showing him being frozen in ice. It might have been mentioned in the story, though.

Finally got around to seeing this last night and I agree with most others, it was very, very good. Intense and well acted by everyone.

I am a big fan of the first Cap movie, mostly due to the WWII setting and the way in which Chris Evans played Cap. It had the right mix of action and drama but had the added bonus of enough funny mixed in that I thought it all worked well. However, I may like Winter Soldier even more.

This movie was completely different in feel. Intense action throughout the movie combined with a great plot and more solid acting. ScarJo has completely sold me on being Black Widow and Chris Evans is Captain America. He is playing the role as good as it can be done. My only complaint is that they need to scale back on some of the crashes and destruction of everything. We don't have to have 30 car crashes and 10 helicarriers/jets crashing to fill up the screen. Outside of that, this film works and works well. Perfect mix of action and spy thriller. It's like James Bond on steroids.

Heck, my wife loved it. In fact, she is totally buying into all of the superhero movies that are coming out now and I never thought this would happen. She asks about the characters and wants background.

I hope everyone realizes that we are experiencing the Golden Age of Superhero movies, especially the way they are treating the Marvel Universe. At some point this will all end, but for now, I am loving it.

Edited by 40sJohn

Finally got around to seeing this last night and I agree with most others, it was very, very good. Intense and well acted by everyone.

I am a big fan of the first Cap movie, mostly due to the WWII setting and the way in which Chris Evans played Cap. It had the right mix of action and drama but had the added bonus of enough funny mixed in that I thought it all worked well. However, I may like Winter Soldier even more.

This movie was completely different in feel. Intense action throughout the movie combined with a great plot and more solid acting. ScarJo has completely sold me on being Black Widow and Chris Evans is Captain America. He is playing the role as good as it can be done. My only complaint is that they need to scale back on some of the crashes and destruction of everything. We don't have to have 30 car crashes and 10 helicarriers/jets crashing to fill up the screen. Outside of that, this film works and works well. Perfect mix of action and spy thriller. It's like James Bond on steroids.

Heck, my wife loved it. In fact, she is totally buying into all of the superhero movies that are coming out now and I never thought this would happen. She asks about the characters and wants background.

I hope everyone realizes that we are experiencing the Golden Age of Superhero movies, especially the way they are treating the Marvel Universe. At some point this will all end, but for now, I am loving it.

Nice review.

A well written well made superhero movie is a great thing for our hobby. The number of girls/ women buying comics is increasing by my small sampling of shows. I do 6-10 shows a year and it is definitely a noticeable increase.

A quarter million domestic take, and nearly $700 mil international....Marvel's gotta be happy with that.

Hard to believe only $250MM domestic. Should be a minimum $300MM with the positive critic reviews and word of mouth.

agreed. It is arguably the best movie Marvel has made.

It's cool the way these movies have caught on with the general public and especially the teens and young adults. I have 2 in college and 1 in high school, all girls, and they usually see these movies with their boyfriends during opening weekends. Mind you, these girls generally only like chick flicks, but when it comes to the Marvel and DC superhero movies, they are in like flint, even talking about the movies a month before they open. Really cool how the easter eggs during the credits become discussion points for us about the characters and how they may play into the next movie.

Marvel's CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER Has Grossed Over 700 Million Worldwide.

According to Box Office Mojo, Marvel's Captain America The Winter Soldier has now earned $250,627,000 domestically and $452,800,000 and now sits comfortably at $703,427,000 worldwide after making an estimated $3,759,000 this weeked. It has surpassed Thor: The Dark World's $644 million making it the 3rd highest grossing film in the ever growing Marvel Cinematic Universe after Iron Man 3 and The Avengers. The film has almost doubled Captain America: The First Avenger's worldwide gross which was the second lowest grossing MCU film after The Incredible Hulk.

:applause:

It has surpassed Thor: The Dark World's $644 million making it the 3rd highest grossing film in the ever growing Marvel Cinematic Universe after Iron Man 3 and The Avengers. The film has almost doubled Captain America: The First Avenger's worldwide gross which was the second lowest grossing MCU film after The Incredible Hulk.[/i]

I finally saw this today... Loved it! :acclaim: It certainly lived up to all the buzz Ive been hearing several weeks. Best Marvel flick Ive seen in awhile (Avengers, Cap I, Iron Man I, Thor I, and X-Men:First Class being among the last I've enjoyed).

Weird how Cap I goes from one of the lowest (despite thinking that it was one of MUs better films) to the highest grossing. Could a lot of people "been late to the show" when it came to Cap? Waited for DVD, Netflix or cable to catch on?

Regardless, (thumbs u to ScarJo and Mackie playing their supporting roles well. And Stan's (not Lee! :) ) portrayal of an unstoppable machine...The Winter Soldier.

Edited by akaSteveRogers

It's cool the way these movies have caught on with the general public and especially the teens and young adults. I have 2 in college and 1 in high school, all girls, and they usually see these movies with their boyfriends during opening weekends. Mind you, these girls generally only like chick flicks, but when it comes to the Marvel and DC superhero movies, they are in like flint, even talking about the movies a month before they open. Really cool how the easter eggs during the credits become discussion points for us about the characters and how they may play into the next movie.

:applause: Lucky man (thumbs u

It has surpassed Thor: The Dark World's $644 million making it the 3rd highest grossing film in the ever growing Marvel Cinematic Universe after Iron Man 3 and The Avengers. The film has almost doubled Captain America: The First Avenger's worldwide gross which was the second lowest grossing MCU film after The Incredible Hulk.[/i]

I finally saw this today... Loved it! :acclaim: It certainly lived up to all the buzz Ive been hearing several weeks. Best Marvel flick Ive seen in awhile (Avengers, Cap I, Iron Man I, Thor I, and X-Men:First Class being among the last I've enjoyed).

Weird how Cap I goes from one of the lowest (despite thinking that it was one of MUs better films) to the highest grossing. Could a lot of people "been late to the show" when it came to Cap? Waited for DVD, Netflix or cable to catch on?

Regardless, (thumbs u to ScarJo and Mackie playing their supporting roles well. And Stan's (not Lee! :) ) portrayal of an unstoppable machine...The Winter Soldier.

I thought that this movie was good as "just" a movie, standing alone outside of the superhero universe (if that makes sense). Like really good. It's probably my favorite one so far. I think that Capt. America's newfound popularity might in part be due to Chris Evans' selling the character in The Avengers, which was more widely seen than his first movie. I can say that, as a not very comic-booky person, I almost didn't see the first Capt. America because he just doesn't really seem like a very exciting character. However, Evans won me over and I was excited to hear the character would be in more movies. I imagine non-believers who saw him in The Avengers felt the same way...??? I was also happy to see Black Widow in a more substantial role, but don't think that would have too much sway at the box office, since it's not her movie and her level of involvement wasn't really obvious from the previews.

My wife and I saw this on Monday and we both thought it was alright. I never read the original story it's based on so I don't know how faithful it was. The action and FX were good, the story we both thought was OK. I fell asleep when I saw the first one and though I came close a couple of times during this one, I never actually nodded off, so I guess that's a good thing.

I'd give it 2 1/2 stars out of 5. The wife gave it 3/5.