• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just saw the new Captain America, The Winter Soldier

525 posts in this topic

Went to a Monday evening matinee, which is the way to do it. Practically a private showing on the cheap. :applause:

Really enjoyed it. Engaging story with a bit of mystery and The Falcon was a great addition. "I do what he does, only slower." lol (thumbs u

One overriding thought (as a DC fan): They've got to figure out a way for Batman to fight like Cap did on screen. Yeah, Batman isn't "super", but he needs that level of on-screen energy and flexibility. Some constrained guy in a thick wetsuit isn't going to cut it anymore. Batman needs to fight, jump, roll, flip and climb like he does in DC animation, like Cap did in the movie. Someone in peak ultra-athletic condition, trained, zero hesitation, quick.

Figure it out DC. :makepoint:

I agree!

They get far to focused on creating a look that requires sculpting and rubber moulded masks and cowls when really the mask should be a fabric that Bruce Wayne can easily flip on and off. This would create the flexible costume the character requires instead of the stiffness. I also don't see the need for the heavily armored suit, batman succeeds through avoidance and just being "better" than his opponents.

DC needs to step it up with this next Batman/Superman movie or they are done.

I bet that is some of the conversation taking place at Warner. You can't build out a successful franchise if it is hit-or-miss whether or not each movie is going to be financially sound and assist in building out the DC brand further.

Man of Steel opened the door. The next movie could close it just as fast if it fails to meet expectations. I just have a feeling Warner senior management won't let this one fail. Especially when the CEO of Warner personally gets involved, including setting up the meeting with Dwayne Johnson to get his commitment on at least one film project.

They must be fully aware of the implications for a failure on this next movie. So much of their franchise is riding on this being a success. I think Man of Steel opened the door but not with a slam but with a slight push. lol

I am not a fan of MoS overall and have a hard time watching it again. Some scenes were great but as a whole...it was a rehash of so much i've already seen. Quite a let down actually.

With that said, I'm not alone in that assessment and if this next movie is not a homerun for DC, they are blowing billions away.

The CEO and entire management team must know this but I would think they know this on every movie being made. They had to know that MoS was super important (see what I did there?). :)

I am a fan of Superman and Batman and want DC to success also. As a comic fan, I want all these movies to rock!

I am a fan of Superman and Batman and want DC to success also. As a comic fan, I want all these movies to rock!

I don't want to distract from the Captain America: TWS great discussions. But I would love to chat more in the Bv.S thread what it is you don't like about Man of Steel. I can't help but enjoy that movie each time it comes on.

Of course, it can always comes down to different appreciations of a movie. And that is okay.

:foryou:

I don't want to distract from the Captain America: TWS great discussions. But I would love to chat more in the Bv.S thread what it is you don't like about Man of Steel. I can't help but enjoy that movie each time it comes on.

Of course, it can always comes down to different appreciations of a movie. And that is okay.

:foryou:

I'll check out that thread and post or will PM you. I agree...don't want to hijack this thread. :)

Talk about an actor that really enjoyed his role.

Anthony Mackie Talks About Chris Evans' Tiny Butt,” Playing Falcon in Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Q: How do you feel about being the first African-American superhero?

AM: It’s funny you should ask that. [LAUGHS] It’s cool. When I was a kid, I really didn’t have a person I could look at, other than my dad, and be like, “Hey, I want to be that guy and fly through the window.” You couldn’t be like 7 years old and say, “Who do you want to be for Halloween?” “Shaft!”

So [LAUGHS] you know, it’s really exciting. When I first got this role I just cried like a baby because I was like, “Wow, next Halloween, I’m gonna open the door and there’s gonna be a little kid dressed as the Falcon.” That’s the thing that always gets me. I feel like everybody deserves that. I feel like there should be a Latino superhero. Scarlett does great representation for all the other girls, but there should be a Wonder Woman movie. I don’t care if they make 20 bucks, if there’s a movie you’re gonna lose money on, make it Wonder Woman. You know what I mean, ’cause little girls deserve that. There’s so many of these little people out here doing awful things for money in the world of being famous. And little girls see that. They should have the opposite spectrum of that to look up to.

Another short article/interview from CNN a couple of weeks back with Anthony Mackie...

'Captain America's' Anthony Mackie talks superhero status

When "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" bows on April 4, it'll have a new hero fighting alongside the patriotic super-soldier: Anthony Mackie's The Falcon.

And no one is more excited than Mackie is.

"I feel like I won the lottery man!" he exclaimed to New York Magazine's Vulture.

And it's not just because he gets to play a hero who can fly. Mackie, 34, has wanted to be in Marvel movies for quite a while, so much so that he reached out to the studio.

"I enjoy their movies, respect the kind of films they make, and I thought it would be a good fit for me as well as them," Mackie explained. "I would say about five years after our initial contact, they invited me to L.A. to have lunch with ["Winter Soldier" directors] Joe and Anthony Russo and one of the producers, and we had a 15 minute conversation where they told me absolutely nothing about the movie they were making. They couldn't tell me about the character, or when or where they were shooting, but they wanted to know, 'If we had a movie, would you be interested?' And I was like, 'Hell yeah!'"

About a month after his verbal agreement, Mackie got to sign on the dotted line. And not just for "Winter Soldier"; no, Mackie wants to be in as many Marvel films as he can cram in.

"One thing I'm excited about with Falcon is that he's so different from any other superhero from any other comic series," he said. " I signed up for as many movies as I could. I feel like to be in a Marvel franchise can only help me in my career and help me as an actor, so I was willing to go as far as they would let me, in whatever capacity they wanted to retain me. I signed up for, like, 50 movies."

I enjoyed how they handled The Falcon character. And it was really fun to watch him fly around. Very Ironman-esqe for me!

12 THEATER votes on my site so far. hasn't broken the Top 5 THEATER yet.

www.filmigos.com

Edited by Rodey

I enjoyed how they handled The Falcon character. And it was really fun to watch him fly around. Very Ironman-esqe for me!

12 THEATER votes on my site so far. hasn't broken the Top 5 THEATER yet.

www.filmigos.com

Make that 13 (thumbs u

I have a few questions after seeing the movie online again and was able to take some notes:

If Cap 3 is supposed to be Cap finding Winter Soldier (Bucky) because Cap turns Fury down going to Europe and says he first needs to take care of something...

Will Falcon be in Avengers 2?

Will Winter Soldier be in Avengers 2 as Cap will have been looking for him I would imagine before they have to AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

What was Fury doing taking off the eye patch and wearing glasses? Just to look different?

They are obviously bringing back Crossbones. Wonder if it will be in Cap 3 or Avengers 2.

I have a few questions after seeing the movie online again and was able to take some notes:

If Cap 3 is supposed to be Cap finding Winter Soldier (Bucky) because Cap turns Fury down going to Europe and says he first needs to take care of something...

Will Winter Soldier be in Avengers 2 as Cap will have been looking for him I would imagine before they have to AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!

What was Fury doing taking off the eye patch and wearing glasses? Just to look different?

They are obviously bringing back Crossbones. Wonder if it will be in Cap 3 or Avengers 2.

Well, it looks like Cap 3 could be set up for a search for the Winter Soldier but anything could happen to Cap before then to change the focus of his next feature.

The actor who played the falcon recently said that he hadn't received a call yet so looks unlikely that he'll be in Avengers 2.

It's entirely possible that WS could be in Avengers 2 but I wouldn't count on it.

Fury's eye patch removal and addition of glasses seemed to me to be motivated by a need to look different though I guess that it could also be taken as a symbolic gesture for having a new start (but Fury's character isn't usually one to be into symbolic gestures).

My bet is that Crossbones will feature in Cap 3.

He is not currently listed on imdb.com cast list, but the cast list is very much incomplete at this time, so it's still possible.

He is not currently listed on imdb.com cast list, but the cast list is very much incomplete at this time, so it's still possible. He's a pretty cool character, so it couldn't hurt, but a lot is going on in that movie already.

Going undercover.

Most likely just Cap 3.

He is not currently listed on imdb.com Avengers 2 cast list, but the cast list is very much incomplete at this time, so it's still possible. A lot going on in that Age of Ultron storyline, maybe he'll get an after credits appearance? He IS mentioned on the imdb.com Captain America 3 page: "Captain America and Falcon continue their search for Bucky Barnes while going head to head with a new foe, Crossbones.'

He is not currently listed on imdb.com cast list, but the cast list is very much incomplete at this time, so it's still possible.

He is not currently listed on imdb.com cast list, but the cast list is very much incomplete at this time, so it's still possible. He's a pretty cool character, so it couldn't hurt, but a lot is going on in that movie already.

Going undercover.

Most likely just Cap 3.

He is not currently listed on imdb.com Avengers 2 cast list, but the cast list is very much incomplete at this time, so it's still possible. A lot going on in that Age of Ultron storyline, maybe he'll get an after credits appearance? He IS mentioned on the imdb.com Captain America 3 page: "Captain America and Falcon continue their search for Bucky Barnes while going head to head with a new foe, Crossbones.'

Thanks and appreciate the discussion.,

As for Fury going undercover...seems a bit far fetched...not much difference between the patch and the glasses. But he was heading to Europe for some reason and wanted help. I wonder if Avengers 2 will have some of that carryover.

Interesting point about Crossbones being listed for Cap 3. If Cap does die in Cap 3...it won't be from Crossbones....it will be from something bigger...perhaps Thanos? For the battle in Avengers 3....

So much to speculate on and I love it. lol

Well, it looks like Cap 3 could be set up for a search for the Winter Soldier but anything could happen to Cap before then to change the focus of his next feature.

The actor who played the falcon recently said that he hadn't received a call yet so looks unlikely that he'll be in Avengers 2.

It's entirely possible that WS could be in Avengers 2 but I wouldn't count on it.

Fury's eye patch removal and addition of glasses seemed to me to be motivated by a need to look different though I guess that it could also be taken as a symbolic gesture for having a new start (but Fury's character isn't usually one to be into symbolic gestures).

My bet is that Crossbones will feature in Cap 3.

Thanks and that's too bad they won't bring back Falcon....I think adding him to the Avengers would be a nice addition (even in a small way).

I like the whole Winter Soldier concept. It's a neat twist to bringing back a character that was pretty much left dead for decades. Kudos for Brubaker for coming up with it.

I'm curious what was so important in Europe for Fury and what Black Widow was going to do now that her cover is blown...

Damn, i'm getting into this stuff lately.