• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Set Expansion Requests April 2014

369 posts in this topic

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the update on the WD sets. Can you please add the WD 1 Emerald City Sketch variant as well?

Thanks

Tim

+1

These should be in the census by now - I've seen 5-6 auctions of the sketch variants on eBay. If we can get these added that would be awesome - thanks for all your hard work as always, Nicole! It is definitely appreciated :)

It is part of the "with variants" set. Which is correct. :)

Thanks for the update - it wasn't in the 'complete with variants' set when I made the request via Excluded Tim's original request but it must have been updated since I made it and your post. :)

First Request:

Is it possible to also add the Turok Dinosaur Hunter (Valiant) #1 "Manufacturing Error" variant to the Turok Dinosaur Hunter (Valiant) set? I have seen several slabbed books of this particular issue (it was published without the standard chrome center artwork in the cover) in "Qualified" grade from CGC, up for grabs in Ebay.

***Manufacturing Error is not considered a variant. This book would go into the Turok Dinosaur Hunter #1 slot. (t is noted in the pedigree field and not the variant field)

Second Request:

1. #79 20-Cent Variant (sample: 0193932020)- This certification number does not note 20 Cent Variant. If you feel this is mislabeled, please call customer service.

These are not Variants. These are noted in the Pedigree field, not as variants. Unless it is noted in the variant field they are not considered variants and separate slots can not be made for them.

2. #83 Mark Jeweler Insert Variant (sample: 0193932021)

3. #87 Mark Jeweler Insert Variant (sample: 0193932022)

4. #89 Mark Jeweler Insert Variant (sample: 0193932023)

Please PM me with further questions regarding this.

Thanks,

Nicole

Gemma and/or Nicole:

Hello! :hi:

I must have missed the discussion about this one, but somewhere along the line, someone must have requested that First Comics Graphic Novel #9 be added to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (volume 1) set. Please consider this a formal request to remove it from the set.

Before adding this book, all of the books from the set were published directly from Mirage and while there were plenty of reprints, there were no collected editions (trades) in the set. There was once a request that Turtlemania be added to the set and it was denied as it wasn't published my Mirage as part of volume 1's set. I agreed with the denial and suggest that the First Comics Graphic Novel book be removed from the volume 1 set for a similar reason. Below is my reasoning if anyone cares to read.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a TMNT graphic novels set if someone really wanted the book in the registry. There are plenty of books that could be eligible for such a set. First Comics published multiple printings of trade volumes 1-4. On top of that, there are trades that Mirage actually did publish that contain stories from volume 1. Trades 2-7, Shell Shock, and Soul's Winter were all printed by Mirage and could all be eligible in such a set.

Please note that I'm not requesting a TMNT collected edition set, just that a set like that could be created to appease the original requester.

In short, the First Comics Graphic Novel has no place in the TMNT volume 1 set and I respectfully request its removal. Thanks!

-Adam

I fully disagree with this request and formally request it be added again to the set. It reprints the first 4 issues published by mirage studios and is the first time they appear in colour. Examples like Turtlemania are not valid as this was not part of the initial series and did not reprint any work from the 1st series. Other graphic novels are also not valid as they contain works not from the first series and should have their own sets. It is important to remember that this graphic novel was published in 1986 (2 years after the first issue) and runs in continuity with the series at the time.

Please, so as to "appease the original requester", can this be discussed again before anyone decides they want something removed because they don't own the book.

Thankyou

Gemma and/or Nicole:

I must have missed the discussion about this one, but somewhere along the line, someone must have requested that First Comics Graphic Novel #9 be added to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (volume 1) set. Please consider this a formal request to remove it from the set.

Before adding this book, all of the books from the set were published directly from Mirage and while there were plenty of reprints, there were no collected editions (trades) in the set. There was once a request that Turtlemania be added to the set and it was denied as it wasn't published my Mirage as part of volume 1's set. I agreed with the denial and suggest that the First Comics Graphic Novel book be removed from the volume 1 set for a similar reason. Below is my reasoning if anyone cares to read.

I wouldn't be opposed to having a TMNT graphic novels set if someone really wanted the book in the registry. There are plenty of books that could be eligible for such a set. First Comics published multiple printings of trade volumes 1-4. On top of that, there are trades that Mirage actually did publish that contain stories from volume 1. Trades 2-7, Shell Shock, and Soul's Winter were all printed by Mirage and could all be eligible in such a set.

Please note that I'm not requesting a TMNT collected edition set, just that a set like that could be created to appease the original requester.

In short, the First Comics Graphic Novel has no place in the TMNT volume 1 set and I respectfully request its removal. Thanks!

-Adam

I fully disagree with this request and formally request it be added again to the set. It reprints the first 4 issues published by mirage studios and is the first time they appear in colour. Examples like Turtlemania are not valid as this was not part of the initial series and did not reprint any work from the 1st series. Other graphic novels are also not valid as they contain works not from the first series and should have their own sets. It is important to remember that this graphic novel was published in 1986 (2 years after the first issue) and runs in continuity with the series at the time.

Please, so as to "appease the original requester", can this be discussed again before anyone decides they want something removed because they don't own the book.

Thankyou

I'm always up for a TMNT discussion. :)

Just a point of clarification, First Comics Graphic Novel #1 reprints the first 3 issues, not 4. Number 2 covered issues 4-6, 3 covered 7-9, and 4 covered 10-11 and the Leonardo 1-shot.

We are in agreement that Turtlemania would not be a reasonable entry into the TMNT Volume 1 registry set. You're correct, it's not part of the original series which is a point against it. It also wasn't even published by Mirage, which is another strong reason it doesn't belong in the set. Each of those reasons is enough to keep it out of the set...the fact that it didn't reprint any work from the volume 1 is irrelevant. Every other book in the set is a single book published by Mirage Studios. Turtlemania doesn't fit the criteria, so why add it?

You wrote "other graphic novels are also not valid as they contain works not from the first series and should have their own sets." I agree that material not included in the original Mirage run should not be included. However, First Comics Graphic Novel #1 features 2 original stories: "Night Life" and "New Comic Day", neither of which show up anywhere in volume 1.

You mention that it's important to note the publication year of 1986, but I submit that the year the book was printed is also irrelevant. Remember that the set as it is right now contains books from as recently as 2009. However, if the publication year were a factor, then there are many books that contained TMNT stories published by Mirage before the end of volume 1 in 1993. Plastron Cafe, Gobbledygook, Mirage Mini Comics,the TMNT Movie Adaptation, all the trades I listed before (save for Soul's Winter) and many more have publication dates before the end of volume 1, yet none of them made it into the registry set. Hypothetically, if Mirage were to release a book in 2014 that directly follows the events of volume 1 #62 and they numbered it as #63, it'd consider it a valid entry for the set. As I said...publication year is irrelevant.

To address your last statement, I assure you that I'm not asking to have a book removed because I don't own it and I find the implication somewhat offensive. I've done my best for several years to expand the TMNT volume 1 set to what it is today. When I started, it was only issues 1-11, Raph, Don, Mike, and Leo. I suggested several books early on that weren't an option because there were no graded copies, but I suggested them anyway for completeness. Issue #5 2nd print is a great example. I suggested adding it to the set years before I actually owned a graded copy. Not having an issue for a slot doesn't keep me from wanting the slot available for the set if it's a valid entry. For years what I've wanted for this particular registry set is a complete collection of everything volume 1 has to offer and nothing else. I'm all for additional TMNT sets if people are out there collecting them...just don't dilute what is established. Collected editions is an entirely different animal.

As for a few additional points:

Look at all the other registry sets for major titles: Amazing Spider-man, Batman, Avengers, Action Comics, etc. None of those sets allow for collected editions/tpb's to be added to their sets. Why should TMNT be any different?

You yourself stated that other graphic novels published by Mirage had no business in the volume 1 set. I feel I could make a stronger case for the Mirage trades to be added to volume 1 than the First Comics Graphic Novel trades, but I still don't think they belong. You may be on to something with graded collected editions and it would make a great registry set with some nice, unique covers, but they don't belong in the volume 1 set.

I welcome the discussion and wouldn't mind hearing others chime in one way or another. :)

Hello, please add to the Batman (2011) set 26 Variant, Sketch and Combo-Pack. 27 Variant, Combo-Pack. 28 Variant, ComicsPro, Combo-Pack. And 29 regular, Variant, WCBH Blank, Combo-Pack and ECCC Variant. Thanks!

Hi Nicole,

Re: Supergirl (1996) set, Issue #1.

Would it be possible to have separate slots for 1st, 2nd and 3rd printings please? Currently the #1 slot contains both 1st and 2nd but not 3rd. It would be nice to separate the different printings and this is the only issue that went beyond 1st print, so no major overhaul of the set would be required.

Thank you.

BW

"To address your last statement, I assure you that I'm not asking to have a book removed because I don't own it and I find the implication somewhat offensive"

It was offensive and I shouldn't have said it. A couple of glasses in and I was all riled up. I apologise Adam.

Hello, please add to the Batman (2011) set 26 Variant, Sketch and Combo-Pack. 27 Variant, Combo-Pack. 28 Variant, ComicsPro, Combo-Pack. And 29 regular, Variant, WCBH Blank, Combo-Pack and ECCC Variant. Thanks!

In addition to the previously requested additions by eMTe, could you also add the second printing variants of 23.2, 23.3, and 23.4.

Thank you for all that you do,

Now that there are 3 copies graded could we please add the below

Set: Revival

Book Requested: Revival #19 Variant Cover

issue Date: 4/14

Publisher Image Comics

Gemma and/or Nicole:

-Adam

Thankyou

Just a point of clarification, First Comics Graphic Novel #1 reprints the first 3 issues, not 4. Number 2 covered issues 4-6, 3 covered 7-9, and 4 covered 10-11 and the Leonardo 1-shot.

We are in agreement that Turtlemania would not be a reasonable entry into the TMNT Volume 1 registry set. You're correct, it's not part of the original series which is a point against it. It also wasn't even published by Mirage, which is another strong reason it doesn't belong in the set. Each of those reasons is enough to keep it out of the set...the fact that it didn't reprint any work from the volume 1 is irrelevant. Every other book in the set is a single book published by Mirage Studios. Turtlemania doesn't fit the criteria, so why add it?

You wrote "other graphic novels are also not valid as they contain works not from the first series and should have their own sets." I agree that material not included in the original Mirage run should not be included. However, First Comics Graphic Novel #1 features 2 original stories: "Night Life" and "New Comic Day", neither of which show up anywhere in volume 1.

You mention that it's important to note the publication year of 1986, but I submit that the year the book was printed is also irrelevant. Remember that the set as it is right now contains books from as recently as 2009. However, if the publication year were a factor, then there are many books that contained TMNT stories published by Mirage before the end of volume 1 in 1993. Plastron Cafe, Gobbledygook, Mirage Mini Comics,the TMNT Movie Adaptation, all the trades I listed before (save for Soul's Winter) and many more have publication dates before the end of volume 1, yet none of them made it into the registry set. Hypothetically, if Mirage were to release a book in 2014 that directly follows the events of volume 1 #62 and they numbered it as #63, it'd consider it a valid entry for the set. As I said...publication year is irrelevant.

To address your last statement, I assure you that I'm not asking to have a book removed because I don't own it and I find the implication somewhat offensive. I've done my best for several years to expand the TMNT volume 1 set to what it is today. When I started, it was only issues 1-11, Raph, Don, Mike, and Leo. I suggested several books early on that weren't an option because there were no graded copies, but I suggested them anyway for completeness. Issue #5 2nd print is a great example. I suggested adding it to the set years before I actually owned a graded copy. Not having an issue for a slot doesn't keep me from wanting the slot available for the set if it's a valid entry. For years what I've wanted for this particular registry set is a complete collection of everything volume 1 has to offer and nothing else. I'm all for additional TMNT sets if people are out there collecting them...just don't dilute what is established. Collected editions is an entirely different animal.

Look at all the other registry sets for major titles: Amazing Spider-man, Batman, Avengers, Action Comics, etc. None of those sets allow for collected editions/tpb's to be added to their sets. Why should TMNT be any different?

You yourself stated that other graphic novels published by Mirage had no business in the volume 1 set. I feel I could make a stronger case for the Mirage trades to be added to volume 1 than the First Comics Graphic Novel trades, but I still don't think they belong. You may be on to something with graded collected editions and it would make a great registry set with some nice, unique covers, but they don't belong in the volume 1 set.

I welcome the discussion and wouldn't mind hearing others chime in one way or another. :)

Getting back to the discussion, you make excellent points but I still think this book warrants being added to the existing set.

I'm not aware of any other collected books that can be graded that were before the IDW stuff. I say not aware as there may well be. The initial discussion around adding books to the TMNT set would not have included this book because at the time there were none graded and I do believe CGC were not able to grade it until recently. The other collected books that I am aware of are too big to be graded and cannot be counted (until CGC finds a way). I strongly believe that anything published by IDW needs to be in a separate set from this and the moriginal TMNT books.

It is great to compare this set to other sets in terms of graphic novels in a Spider-man set but no where is it written in stone about what can be and what cannot be added to a set. We don't have to follow any cookie cutter formula but rather celebrate the TMNT books in their own unique collection. After all we are collecting non-marvel/DC/superhero books and are different collectors than the traditional GA/SA/BA collectors. Also the set is not touted as a Mirage set and should include anything with a direct relationship and continuity to the first series.

I think the First GN books are a great addition and only book #1 of 4 has been graded so far so there is not much chance of the set being diluted. I think this set evolving will bring more people to the set and will show what a great collection of art and stories it is.

I am looking forward, like Adam, to hearing what others think. If you need more info on the Graphic Novel in question please let me know.

Set: Superman (Doomsday Death Funeral Return)

Request: Remove The Death of Superman Platinum Edition.

Reason: This is a TPB, this set would be better focusing on the individual issues, and there are quite enough of them as it is in this set. Also, if we have this particular TPB, then we would have to include the regular version of the Death of Superman TPB to go with the platinum edition.

Set: Uber (Avatar)

Please add:

#0 Enhanced Breakdown Edition

#0 Enhanced IT BEGINS Edition

#0 Midtown Comics Enhanced Edition

#1 IT ENDS Edition

#1 New York VIP Edition

#1 War Crimes

#2 Angel of Death Edition

#2 First Appearance of Miyoko Edition

#2 Propaganda Edition

#2 Retailer Bonus Edition

#2 War Crimes

#3 Homage Edition

#4 (regular)

#4 Blitzkrieg sketch

#4 Night Terror Edition

#4 Propaganda

#4 War Crimes

#4 Wraparound

#5 (regular)

#5 Blitzkrieg sketch

#5 Dominate Edition

#5 Propaganda

#5 War Crimes

#5 Wraparound

#6 (regular)

#6 Blitzkrieg sketch

#6 Face of Evil Edition

#6 VIP Edition

#6 War Crimes

#6 Wraparound

#7 (regular)

#7 Propaganda

#7 Wraparound

#8 (regular)

#8 Propaganda

#8 Wraparound

#9 (regular)

#9 Propanganda

#9 Wraparound

....more to come as they hit the census!

Thanks.

In addition to the previously requested additions by eMTe, could you also add the second printing variants of 23.2, 23.3, and 23.4.

Thank you for all that you do,

Good call, I forgot about them

Gemma and/or Nicole:

-Adam

Thankyou

Getting back to the discussion, you make excellent points but I still think this book warrants being added to the existing set.

I'm not aware of any other collected books that can be graded that were before the IDW stuff. I say not aware as there may well be. The initial discussion around adding books to the TMNT set would not have included this book because at the time there were none graded and I do believe CGC were not able to grade it until recently. The other collected books that I am aware of are too big to be graded and cannot be counted (until CGC finds a way). I strongly believe that anything published by IDW needs to be in a separate set from this and the moriginal TMNT books.

It is great to compare this set to other sets in terms of graphic novels in a Spider-man set but no where is it written in stone about what can be and what cannot be added to a set. We don't have to follow any cookie cutter formula but rather celebrate the TMNT books in their own unique collection. After all we are collecting non-marvel/DC/superhero books and are different collectors than the traditional GA/SA/BA collectors. Also the set is not touted as a Mirage set and should include anything with a direct relationship and continuity to the first series.

I think the First GN books are a great addition and only book #1 of 4 has been graded so far so there is not much chance of the set being diluted. I think this set evolving will bring more people to the set and will show what a great collection of art and stories it is.

I am looking forward, like Adam, to hearing what others think. If you need more info on the Graphic Novel in question please let me know.

I agree with you...the books put out by IDW belong in a different set. They may contain some reprinted volume 1 material, but they are put out by a different publisher. I'm not sure if you're talking about collected editions of volume 1 stuff that IDW put out or the color classics line that reprints individual issues from volume 1 in color, but it really doesn't matter. Different publisher = not eligible. I'm glad we agree. This is the same logic that should be applied to First Comics Graphic Novel books. It is a different publisher and therefore should not be eligible for the volume 1 Mirage TMNT set.

You also mentioned in your previous post that the other Mirage-published collected editions should not be included. In your last post, you say you're not aware of them. To be clear, I'm talking about these ones:

voltwos.jpgvolthrees.jpgvolfours.jpgvolfives.jpgvolsixs.jpgvolsevens.jpg

This series of collected editions is published by Mirage and started seeing print in 1988. Most of them have fewer pages than the First Comics Graphic Novel and as such should have no problem fitting in a CGC slab. Since these books are actually published by the same people that published volume 1 of TMNT, they are far more deserving of being added to the set than the First Comics Graphic Novel. However, you and I are already in agreement that the Mirage trades don't belong in the volume 1 set, so I suppose we can move on.

The point I was trying to make with the Spider-man/Batman/any other set comparison was this: Imagine the backlash you'd receive if you suggested adding a Spidey tpb to an existing set of ASM...let's just say 1-441. Do you really think the people in a competitive set like Spider-man would just allow such an entry on a whim? The people who care for that sort of thing feel the set is complete as-is because all issues are currently accounted for. Adding it trades would just muddy up the waters. The same discussion has been had for variants. Some collectors prefer a set with only 1st prints and no variants, others prefer a set with all variants. Look at Walking Dead. The compromise is that CGC made up 2 sets: 1 with just first prints and no variants, the other with all printings and variants. This allowed collectors to register with whichever collecting focus suits their style. This leads me to my next point.

You say that you want the TMNT registry set to be a celebrate all TMNT books. If that's the case, why not leave the current volume 1 set as it is (volume 1 only) and start a new set with anything Mirage put out with the turtles in the 80's and early 90's? There are DOZENS of books outside of volume 1 that have some link to early TMNT works that would be eligible for such a set. I listed a few before, but I think the point was missed, so I'll be more specific:

th_TurtleSoup194.jpg

Turtle Soup #1

Published by Mirage? Yes

Release during volume 1? Yes

Features the TMNT? Yes

Currently graded on the CGC census? Yes

th_TeenageMutantNinjaTurtlesTheMovieSS.jpg

TMNT Movie Special

Published by Mirage? Yes

Release during volume 1? Yes...many events in the movie were inspired by volume 1 comics

Features the TMNT? Yes

th_Gobbledygook1SS.jpg

Gobbledygook#1

Published by Mirage? Yes

Release during volume 1? Yes

Features the TMNT? Yes

There are plenty of others, but I'll stop there. All of these books could fit in a catch-all TMNT set, but I submit that while all have strong ties to volume 1, none belong in the volume 1 set.

People who know me know I love TMNT books. I think the registry is a lot of fun, but the volume 1 registry is complete as-is right now. I even found a post from 2011 where I was stating the same message, and that message is that while there are plenty of great TMNT books out there, not all of them qualify for the volume 1 set.

My compromise is simple: request a new set where the First Comics Graphic Novel would be accepted. Make it a set for graphic novels or a catch-all for TMNT books from the 80's or whatever you want. However, volume 1 should be left as-is as it's complete with no excess in its current form.

Set: Amazing Spider-Man (Complete)

Book Requested: ASM #s 700.1, 700.2, 700.3, 700.4, 700.5

Since v2 and other .#s are included in this set, is it safe to assume v3 and its .#s will eventually be added as well?

Please add the following to the Friday the 13th: Bloodbath Set:

Book Requested: Friday the 13th: Bloodbath #1: Blue Foil Edition

&

Book Requested: Friday the 13th: Bloodbath #1: Gold Foil Edition