• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC and Marvel movie results: 1978 to present
5 5

783 posts in this topic

Updated the overall tally of DC-Marvel movies from 1978 to present.

Since there have been so many posts about who should declare cinema victory over the past few years, maybe it is worth taking a look at the production run of both companies. It doesn't take deep analysis to identify Marvel as the solid quality leader at this time, though Warner is promising large growth over the coming years.

The 1978 to present period in DC and Marvel-based movies is comprised of 73 movies. Looking at all included movies as a whole, they had a budget of $8,714,500,000 leading to a worldwide box office revenue total of $28,340,178,562 using USD from their given year of release. If adjusted for 2016 inflation, the overall worldwide box office revenue total is $32,901,746,479.

Some movies had a very limited cinema release (Captain America from 1990 mainly appeared in UK theaters and a few other limited international markets), and three movies either were a total direct to video (DTV) release with one being a partial DTV. With the Wes Craven 'Swamp Thing' movie from 1982, it is very unclear what true budget and box office results were noted for the time. Some sites like IMDb mistakenly reference numbers from 'The Return of Swamp Thing' and cannot confirm the results.

Captain America: Civil War, Deadpool and Batman v Superman are still actively showing in theaters as of this update.

Note: Movie budget and box office results were taken from either Box Office Mojo, IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes or through researching interviews with creators that spoke to the final results (Roger Corman mentioning his total budget for 'The Fantastic Four' was one million dollars). In the case of 'The Fantastic Four' where Marvel purchased the movie for an additional few million dollars so as not to have it released to the public, this has not been included in the final analysis. %20really%3F%20Arad%22&f=false'>Los Angeles Magazine, March 2005

wiuSYgy.png

I'll be looking at this dataset from different analysis points to determine the success, failures and break-evens of both companies.

I was expecting some international box office adjustment later in the day. But I guess Box Office Mojo feels comfortable with the estimate it currently has posted.

MK75llI.png

Amazing how the first three comic book films of the year delivered so large.

EzmeCF7.png

With only $154K to go, BvS will surpass Men In Black for that eleventh spot.

EzmeCF7.png

I think also that it`s amazing that Deadpool so far has beaten Civil War and BvS domestically! :o

Also who knows where Deadpool would have ended up if they had the China audience?

Deadpool is clearly the biggest winner of 2016!

EzmeCF7.png

I think also that it`s amazing that Deadpool so far has beaten Civil War and BvS domestically! :o

Also who knows where Deadpool would have ended up if they had the China audience?

here's a little help instead of comparing apples to hand grenades. Cap: CW is $60MM ahead of DP after the same # of days of release.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=superhero2016.htm

EzmeCF7.png

here's a little help instead of comparing apples to hand grenades. Cap: CW is $60MM ahead of DP after the same # of days of release.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=superhero2016.htm

What really jumps out at me with this data is Deadpool's Revenue Ratio. 13.1!!!! I wish I could have invested in that movie. If Ryan Reynolds had any production money in that movie, he just made a budtload of money.

The 1989 Batman movie too! Impressive Revenue Ratio.

What really jumps out at me with this data is Deadpool's Revenue Ratio. 13.1!!!! I wish I could have invested in that movie. If Ryan Reynolds had any production money in that movie, he just made a budtload of money.

And it took this many years for any DC or Marvel movie to pass up the Batman (1989) record. I wonder if there will ever be a movie now in our lifetime from DC or Marvel that will surpass Deadpool?

And it took this many years for any DC or Marvel movie to pass up the Batman (1989) record. I wonder if there will ever be a movie now in our lifetime from DC or Marvel that will surpass Deadpool?

Maybe Deadpool 2. (shrug)

All we can do is watch and see. Hopefully the second movie is able to maintain that uniqueness that caught everyone's attention.

:wishluck:

All we can do is watch and see. Hopefully the second movie is able to maintain that uniqueness that caught everyone's attention.

It's certainly remains unique compared to any other Superhero movie. I don't think they'll change things up to make the film appropriate enough for China. It would have made about $900+ million with China. At any rate, Suicide Squad is bound to give Deadpool a run for it's money, but they probably spent $200 million making that film, so there will be no comparison ratio wise in terms of profit.

It's certainly remains unique compared to any other Superhero movie. I don't think they'll change things up to make the film appropriate enough for China. It would have made about $900+ million with China. At any rate, Suicide Squad is bound to give Deadpool a run for it's money, but they probably spent $200 million making that film, so there will be no comparison ratio wise in terms of profit.

I don't think any of these big-budget movies will break Deadpool's revenue ratio record. Even throughout all the Marvel Studios movies, as successful as they have been for the most part, Marvel's The Avengers still is the highest revenue ratio with 6.9X.

Suicide Squad will most probably be another big-budget film in the 3.X to 4.X range.

I think they should have led w/harley instead of suicide squad. Harley could have 'deadpooled' before deadpool.

as has been noted, it can be very tough to hit ALL the notes when you're doing a bunch of characters. BvS could barely balance the stories of 3 characters properly.

They're trying to 'GOTG' instead, which isn't bad if they can do it....