• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have A Cigar

1,373 posts in this topic

...and this awesome piece of art! cloud9.gif Here is the description from the Heritage catalog:

Larry Lieber - Original Art for Marvel Super-Heroes #20, page 24 (Marvel, ). This brooding, final page from the first solo Dr. Doom story is brought to you by Larry Lieber, a Fantastic Four vet. It's not his grim, metal mask that are forever his merciless prison...but the man himself....the tortured, twisted being whom the world calls only... Doom! Lieber's sense of space and drama effectively capture the tortured Doom. The overall page size is 11.5" x 17.5" with a 10" x 15" image area. The work shows some very minimal aging, and there is a small tape stain behind the lower type balloon. Est. 400-up.

Anyone want to guess how much I had to pay for it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

art.jpg

After the amazing amount of guesses (all 2 of them), I'm ready to reveal the final price - $115!!! grin.gifacclaim.gif

After the amazing amount of guesses (all 2 of them), I'm ready to reveal the final price - $115!!! grin.gifacclaim.gif

Can you say "Steal?". Perhaps if Doom's face was shown it would have gone for more, but it's a stunning piece of artwork nonetheless.

Hopefully there's room for a low-grade book here if it is one that's not seen too often: Here's my first contribution, a structurally-sound, early Golden Age Batman with a trashed spine (but in the spirit of Have a Cigar I'll brag I got it for less than half Good price!)

219727-B17_3.jpg

219727-B17_3.jpg.e6ca9f504c91c526d3b784730c94f3ee.jpg

Just spent a great day at the NYC con with Del-ekkstre and Foolkiller. What a great time!

Made a few nice aquisitions this weekend:

Batman 155 - 1st SA penguin

Batman 187 - 80pg giant

Batman 193 - 80pg giant

Batman 208 - 80pg giant

Batman 209

Batman 234 - 1st SA Two Face

Now with these additions my Batman run is complete with no missing issues from 174-616 (617 on Wednesday!) (although I am looking for a pos 232 as I have a cgc'ed hg copy)

A special thank you to Blazing Bob who sold me the 155 and 234 - a true gentleman through and through.

I'll see if I can get some scans. Unfortunately my roommates scanner is not working.

DAM

Also a huge thank you to KEVTHEMEV 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

What a great guy! At the Sci-Fi convention back in June I had met up with Kev and had asked him to get Aparo's signature for me in my Batman 428 and in my TPB. Kev very graciously did so and got Jim to sign right on the crucial Batman holding Robin's dead and lifeless body page!

A huge thank you to Kevin from one collector to another!

DAM

Just spent a great day at the NYC con with Del-ekkstre and Foolkiller. What a great time!

Made a few nice aquisitions this weekend:

Batman 155 - 1st SA penguin

Batman 187 - 80pg giant

Batman 193 - 80pg giant

Batman 208 - 80pg giant

Batman 209

Batman 234 - 1st SA Two Face

Now with these additions my Batman run is complete with no missing issues from 174-616 (617 on Wednesday!) (although I am looking for a pos 232 as I have a cgc'ed hg copy)

A special thank you to Blazing Bob who sold me the 155 and 234 - a true gentleman through and through.

I'll see if I can get some scans. Unfortunately my roommates scanner is not working.

DAM

Awesome accomplishment! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I assume many/most are raw?

Too bad the Registry is for CGC'd comics only. I'd like to see raw collections showing up there too!

Thanks! I probably have about 20 slabbed bats, mostly moderns though. By the end of the year it would be cool to get down to 150 raw . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also, I am a confirmed mid grade collector of VG/FN-FN/VF. Thankfully these Bats are all pretty abundant in these grades! tongue.gif

One day I want to have a block of time where I can read every single Batman issue to current day. What a cool thing that would be!

Also working, although not spending real money on, a Detective run, an Action run and an Avengers run . . . .

DAM

Reality - that is one heck of a cover. How are the stories?

POV - Well, the stories are ok. Nothing earth shattering. Ironic twist endings galore. The best part is the whole thing is early Ditko (5th published art I think). Really great twisted stuff. Ditko fans only familiar with his superhero stuff are really doing themselves a disservice by not checking this stuff out. Gruesome intense stuff. You can sorta see where his Dr. Strange stuff came from.....