• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have A Cigar

1,373 posts in this topic

Nice book, Greggy! I love those 100 pagers. I was no English major, but shouldn't the cover say "The gauntlet of super-villains"? If not, nevermind. boo.gif

Yep..they had POV as their spellchecker back in the day! 893frustrated.gif

Time to let the geek out...

Both gauntlet / gantlet are accepted spelling variants of the original French words

"gantelet" and "gant" (glove)

But....the English word gauntlet has two meanings, the above meaning is used in the well-known expression throw down the gauntlet or to issue a challenge...

The Flash cover clearly shows that we're talking about the second meaning of gauntlet; undergoing a form of punishment to run the gauntlet

This second meaning also has the "gantlet" spelling variant, but this variant has taken up a life of its own during the 19th century as become a railroad expression and is now seldom used to describe this particular form of punishment.

So no, the spelling is correct, but the meaning isn't... "gantlet" isn't used anymore as a spelling variant of the punishment gauntlet but is used as a variant of the challenge gauntlet...

893offtopic1.gif.....yeah I know frown.gif but this is what I do...

So no, the spelling is correct, but the meaning isn't... "gantlet" isn't used anymore as a spelling variant of the punishment gauntlet but is used as a variant of the challenge gauntlet...

893offtopic1.gif.....yeah I know frown.gif but this is what I do...

And you do it so well Chromium! (Are you an ex-pat, by the way?)

blush.gifcloud9.gif

Thanks for the compliment, I'm just a languages geek and I do translate a lot of European languages into English and if you do that for a number of years you tend not to have a mother-tongue anymore...

I still speak Dutch better than any other language but I can speed-read English texts a lot faster than texts in my native Dutch...go figure confused.gif

Gauntlet

gaunt·let also gant·let n.

1. A form of punishment or torture in which people armed with sticks or other weapons arrange themselves in two lines facing each other and beat the person forced to run between them.

2. The lines of people so arranged.

3. An onslaught or attack from all sides: “The hostages... ran the gauntlet of insult on their way to the airport” ( Harper's ).

4. A severe trial; an ordeal.

Dude don't you have a 9.4 Dark Mansion #1? You hoarding them or get a heck of a deal... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No...I only submitted one copy to CGC and I don't think that it will get a 9.4 but who knows! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Better than 1,500 copies of each cover of X-men 1!

More eBay wins! cool.gif

DC-21.JPG

I'm seeing those short shorts on Robin and I'm thinking....Mmmm Fashion Statement ?? 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifgoodevil.gif

Shouldn't you be looking at Supergirl instead? 893offtopic1.gif

Dude don't you have a 9.4 Dark Mansion #1? You hoarding them or get a heck of a deal... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No...I only submitted one copy to CGC and I don't think that it will get a 9.4 but who knows! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Better than 1,500 copies of each cover of X-men 1!

Yup and would take the 9.2 for all the X-Men #1's I had smirk.gif

Hmmmm I have several 70's mags with Jeff Jones covers in front of me. Nightmare #6, Weird Tales of Macabre #1 (I like Issue #2 more Great Boris Cover).The Psycho is the best though since it's a double cover. I know you only want copies in NM or better so won't offend you with a offer to buy them..... smirk.gif

Hmmmm I have several 70's mags with Jeff Jones covers in front of me. Nightmare #6, Weird Tales of Macabre #1 (I like Issue #2 more Great Boris Cover).The Psycho is the best though since it's a double cover. I know you only want copies in NM or better so won't offend you with a offer to buy them..... smirk.gif
893scratchchin-thumb.gif