• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

saw Amazing SpiderMan 2

415 posts in this topic

No matter the strength of the -script, it appears Spidey keeps racking up the revenue.

BOX OFFICE: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Hits $150M Overseas; Still Set For $95M US Debut

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has already earned $150 million overseas after two weeks of release in locations such as the UK and Japan. As was predicted several weeks ago, the sequel is expected to debut in North America this weekend with $95 million, a number which would top Captain America: The Winter Soldier's impressive opening.

The movie will indeed be popular, especially for families with kids, but with RT down to 59% and Metacritic now at 53%, the critical reviews are tumbling fast (even the positive ones have major disclaimers about the plot, the writing, and the tone).

Probably decent entertainment but kind of a crappy movie, which is what I thought of the first one, which I rated 4/10.

And it's too bad it will make so much money, in a way, as I'd love to see Spidey get the movie he deserves! All this will do is put Webb and the hack scriptwriters in place for yet another round of junk food cinema.

Dan

The movie will indeed be popular, especially for families with kids, but with RT down to 59% and Metacritic now at 53%, the critical reviews are tumbling fast (even the positive ones have major disclaimers about the plot, the writing, and the tone).

Probably decent entertainment but kind of a crappy movie, which is what I thought of the first one, which I rated 4/10.

And it's too bad it will make so much money, in a way, as I'd love to see Spidey get the movie he deserves! All this will do is put Webb and the hack scriptwriters in place for yet another round of junk food cinema.

Dan

Webb and the writers are back for Amazing Spiderman 3 which is already in production with the -script being written. This version of Spiderman is going to be around for a while. I'm not that excited about it either... (shrug)

I dunno, Garfield sold me on his version of Spiderman this go around. He has the wise cracking of Spidey down much more than Tobey ever did.

Movie didn't feel packed to the gills with bad guys like every one was hand wringing about.

Peter and Gwen stuff was on point.

Dane was very good.

Was actually watchable in 3d and I generally hate 3d but there was no choice as only shown in 1 theatre, glad I saw it that way.

I'll see it again probably next week, then on to Godzilla! =)

Sony Just sucks!

Give the rights back to Marvel!

:sumo:

Like they know what they're doing :eyeroll:

Well hopefully they know how to make a better movie than THIS!

UGH!

How in the world, with some of the most solid comic material found in ASM, could you not find a way to make a watchable movie???

:tonofbricks:

This felt like Sony's Iron Man 2 or Man Of Steel where they wanted to bring in a lot of pieces and assemble their "universe" for upcoming films.

This is exactly how I felt about it from watching all the trailers. Lots of Boom! Crash! Bang! and not much substance.

Everyone is now racing to keep up with Marvel's long term plan and Sony seems to be doing exactly what DC has been doing wrong.

Shame.

Captain America was awesome. I had to say it again.

This felt like Sony's Iron Man 2 or Man Of Steel where they wanted to bring in a lot of pieces and assemble their "universe" for upcoming films.

This is exactly how I felt about it from watching all the trailers. Lots of Boom! Crash! Bang! and not much substance.

Everyone is now racing to keep up with Marvel's long term plan and Sony seems to be doing exactly what DC has been doing wrong.

Shame.

Captain America was awesome. I had to say it again.

Maybe for the trailer but I found the movie to be heavy on story. Some new, some classic Spidey. Focused on some things that the Raimi flicks completely glossed over.

It might be too heavy on story then, which was my thought when I saw Rhino and Electro in the same story.

If people are disliking it this early it sounds like it's not 'good story'.

They have a tough demographic to hit. They're aiming for the twilight crowd while trying to please everyone else.

There's three villains in this movie, right? How on earth does one become attached to any of these characters in such a short amount of time? Perhaps they should have taken notes from TDK for villain development (minus Two-Face).

That was actually one of the many problems I had with X-Men's, The Last Stand. Far too many villains that cluttered up everything.

Sony Just sucks!

UGH!

How in the world, with some of the most solid comic material found in ASM, could you not find a way to make a watchable movie???

my son not dragging me to this one

There's three villains in this movie, right? How on earth does one become attached to any of these characters in such a short amount of time? Perhaps they should have taken notes from TDK for villain development (minus Two-Face).

That was actually one of the many problems I had with X-Men's, The Last Stand. Far too many villains that cluttered up everything.

spoilerish alert

there's not really 3 villains in this movie. There's 2 primary villains, and there's not a real problem with the development of the main 2, although its a bit formulaic in some parts. I don't think that was the main problem.

I thought the issue of Peter searching for parts of his past were pretty much the biggest waste of time, with little to no payoff. I guess there was some payoff, but they were answering a question I didn't care to ask.

As for the teenage drama aspect, its a story about a teenage superhero who's always down on his luck and always struggling with responsibility. He's got family and a girlfriend and worries about money. There's gonna be drama, there was plenty in the original comic as well, though it was a bit simpler and more old-fashioned, but actually relatively current with those times. And for better or worse, they're presenting it for modern audiences, to try to hook a new generation of spider fans, not to cater to 50 year old fanboys who will watch the movie either way. Not to say that it was done perfectly or there weren't holes, but that's what they were going for.

But as it stands, I'm not remotely enthused about another spiderman movie, based on what they look like they're trying set up.

Sony Just sucks!

UGH!

For what its worth, if your son is under the age of 12 he's going to absolutely love it. My nephew was among the many children that were in the theater and they all really seemed to enjoy the film. Yourself on the other hand....eh, it's somewhat entertaining.

Sony Just sucks!

UGH!

For what its worth, if your son is under the age of 12 he's going to absolutely love it. My nephew was among the many children that were in the theater and they all really seemed to enjoy the film. Yourself on the other hand....eh, it's somewhat entertaining.

he's not

Ehh, I don't put much faith in critics. According to those numbers, Spiderman 3 is better, which is an absolute joke.

Exactly! All those spiderman movies IMO were garbage. Tobey sucks, especially the part where he's consumed by the black suit and he goes and gets new clothes, haircut, and he dances in the bar. What a freaking joke!

Sony Just sucks!

UGH!

he's not

Dodged a bullet there then, lol

Sony Just sucks!

UGH!

he's not

Dodged a bullet there then, lol

the movie is not so bad as to be a bullet really, more of a not cold enough beer. It gets the job done usually, but you know you could have enjoyed it more.

I would rate this movie as juuuuust about average for recent comic book movies I saw.

Iron Man

Batman TDK

Avengers

Captain America 2

Spiderman 2

Batman Begins

Spiderman

Iron Man 3

BAtman DKR

Thor

Captain America

Blade

ASM2

Fantastic Four

ASM

Iron Man 2

Blade 3

PUnisher war zone

PUnisher (tom jane)

Fantastic Four 2

Spiderman 3

Blade 2

** did not see thor 2

spoilerish alert

there's not really 3 villains in this movie. There's 2 primary villains, and there's not a real problem with the development of the main 2, although its a bit formulaic in some parts. I don't think that was the main problem.

That's good to know. The trailer makes It look like Electro is the main villain, while Rhino and GG are just fillers that may pave the path for the next film. I was a little concerned about that.

Not that anyone cares, but the airplane they used in Spiderman is now the one we use on the Blacklist. We cut it to pieces in Long Island and reassembled it in NYC