• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Wolverine art @ $140K with 22 days to go!!

519 posts in this topic

I make my own hot chili powder, and love to sprinkle it on popcorn.

;)

hm

I have to try this... Do you simply dry & grind to make the powder or so you stick in other herbs to taste as well? Do you melt butter on too?

Have you ever fingered your nostrils... Or worse... With popped-corn-chilli-fingers?

ANSWERS MY GOOD MAN, I need them.

:foryou:

I dry my own peppers and then use a combination of ingredients. I like salt, black pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, cumin, paprika, and oregano to mix into the ground dried peppers. Amounts vary and it is always good.

I don't use extra butter, what I pop the corn in is usually enough.

That last question sounds too pervy to answer.

(:

-slym

Fantastic. Thx mate, I'll give that a go. I have a freezer full of chilli & my wife wants me to do something with it.

No. Not pervy... ;)

Side note:

I have to admit I hadn't heard of eminem collecting before and I googled it for gits and shiggles and I found an article online that talks about his "otherworldly" collection that even (!) includes an "ultra rare amazing fantasy 15" (!!). He may have other stuff we don't know about but from reading that article you'd sure wouldnt think he's cut from the nick cage / Kirk Hammett cloth

It's well known in Detroit circles that eminem collects comics. He used to buy regularly from local dealers.

I wouldn't call him super savvy like someone who lives on this chat forum but he likes his comics.

With regards to those who think that people who become rich and famous don't get into the various aspects of the comics industry unless they were already lifelong fans before: The single greatest coin collection of all time was put together by a man who wasn't famous, but was certainly rich, and he began this pursuit when he was 29. His name was Louis Eliasberg. A passion from childhood certainly helps, but isn't necessary.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that Marshall Mathers....Eminem to the rest of the world...needs to build up confidence and courage. Eminem....? The man has a net worth between $115-$160 million. If Wolverine was that important to him...and he's 41, so he's the perfect age...would it really matter what his "connections" were? He already has an entire music industry at his beck and call, as well as many connections in Hollywood. His people need only place a phone call, and the information he wanted would be his within hours, if not minutes.

Rich and famous people make "big purchases" (and "big" is entirely relative) all the time in markets they know little about.

There may BE virtually zero chance the piece is headed to Detroit any time soon, but the reasons why would not be the ones some state. It would only be because of lack of interest, because all the resources are already in place.

I don't see how this differs significantly from what Gene was saying. What you call "interest", he framed as a certain "psychosis" or requisite passion.

The reasons given were "lack of a lifelong passion, lack of knowledge about the market, lack of courage, lack of confidence, lack of connections, lack of time, lack of resources." Whatever Marshall Mathers lacks in knowledge, can easily be made up for, and a "lifelong passion" is hardly necessary to have interest. He already has all the rest.

Rich people make "big" (the term being relative) purchases in markets they know nothing about all the time. It only takes interest...even passing interest for some. Some people can spend a million dollars like I spend $5.

so you're saying Eminem will buy this piece ? or that he "could" or "might?

because Gene acknowledges the possibility that he COULD or MIGHT buy it… but he just (correctly) sees it as a remote possibility. As a betting man who follows the market and the OA market closely, his conclusion is that its a small chance that a "rich famous person even one who reads comic books" will step up and buy this piece.

I think he knows what he is talking about.

Yes.

In fact, he called me the other day and we chatted about it. He even wanted to call up Heritage and just outright offer $10 million, and see if the owner bit.

I told him to just let the chips fall where they may. Cuz me and the Marsh (that's what I call him) are tight like that.

because Gene acknowledges the possibility that he COULD or MIGHT buy it but he just (correctly) sees it as a remote possibility. As a betting man who follows the market and the OA market closely, his conclusion is that its a small chance that a "rich famous person even one who reads comic books" will step up and buy this piece.

I think he knows what he is talking about.

Of course, it's an extremely remote possibility.

Side note:

I have to admit I hadn't heard of eminem collecting before and I googled it for gits and shiggles and I found an article online that talks about his "otherworldly" collection that even (!) includes an "ultra rare amazing fantasy 15" (!!). He may have other stuff we don't know about but from reading that article you'd sure wouldnt think he's cut from the nick cage / Kirk Hammett cloth

It's well known in Detroit circles that eminem collects comics. He used to buy regularly from local dealers.

I wouldn't call him super savvy like someone who lives on this chat forum but he likes his comics.

With regards to those who think that people who become rich and famous don't get into the various aspects of the comics industry unless they were already lifelong fans before: The single greatest coin collection of all time was put together by a man who wasn't famous, but was certainly rich, and he began this pursuit when he was 29. His name was Louis Eliasberg. A passion from childhood certainly helps, but isn't necessary.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that Marshall Mathers....Eminem to the rest of the world...needs to build up confidence and courage. Eminem....? The man has a net worth between $115-$160 million. If Wolverine was that important to him...and he's 41, so he's the perfect age...would it really matter what his "connections" were? He already has an entire music industry at his beck and call, as well as many connections in Hollywood. His people need only place a phone call, and the information he wanted would be his within hours, if not minutes.

Rich and famous people make "big purchases" (and "big" is entirely relative) all the time in markets they know little about.

There may BE virtually zero chance the piece is headed to Detroit any time soon, but the reasons why would not be the ones some state. It would only be because of lack of interest, because all the resources are already in place.

I don't see how this differs significantly from what Gene was saying. What you call "interest", he framed as a certain "psychosis" or requisite passion.

The reasons given were "lack of a lifelong passion, lack of knowledge about the market, lack of courage, lack of confidence, lack of connections, lack of time, lack of resources." Whatever Marshall Mathers lacks in knowledge, can easily be made up for, and a "lifelong passion" is hardly necessary to have interest. He already has all the rest.

Rich people make "big" (the term being relative) purchases in markets they know nothing about all the time. It only takes interest...even passing interest for some. Some people can spend a million dollars like I spend $5.

Those reasons he gave were to explain why some very wealthy and well-known people don't make a splash in collectibles markets as often as one might think they would, or as often as their wealth would allow. And he's basing that assertion, as it pertains specifically to original comic art, to the fact that, according to him, nearly all "big wave" sales can be attributed to a very small group of people, and that few major pieces sell and disappear without a trace.

None of that is inconsistent with what you're saying. His point is that it's unlikely some Marshal Mathers-type character will sweep in with his giant checkbook to set a record on this piece. You got caught up on an incorrect generalization he made about coin collectors and lost track of the main point.

Yes.

In fact, he called me the other day and we chatted about it. He even wanted to call up Heritage and just outright offer $10 million, and see if the owner bit.

I told him to just let the chips fall where they may. Cuz me and the Marsh (that's what I call him) are tight like that.

Is that how you got his net worth info too? :baiting: Those net worth sites aren't worth the paper they're printed on, and they aren't printed on paper :insane:

I can't categorically speak to the US since I don't live or practice there but in canada unless someone's net worth gets discussed in a public trial or something there would be no way to ever reliably get the net worth of a public figure. You might be able to find out what certain assets in the person's name (such as real estate) are worth but other assets like stock portfolios or others assets held in a private corporation owned by the individual you'd never be able to find out about, to say absolutely nothing of the liabilities the person may or may not have, which is again to say nothing about the liabilities companies owned by the person may or may not have. Let alone for companies owned by companies owned by the individual. Or companies owned by the individual's family trust.

Its a little bit like saying "wow, she's hot" based on a blurry jpg of her fourth toenail. :insane:

Pretty sure his bank account is sexier than mine though and exactly how wealthy he is isn't really relevant to the discussion, but still. I almost snorted out my coffee when I read that we we had his net worth down quite so accurately.

This is quite the protracted squabble now hm Let it go guys ;)

Side note:

Those reasons he gave were to explain why some very wealthy and well-known people don't make a splash in collectibles markets as often as one might think they would, or as often as their wealth would allow. And he's basing that assertion, as it pertains specifically to original comic art, to the fact that, according to him, nearly all "big wave" sales can be attributed to a very small group of people, and that few major pieces sell and disappear without a trace.

None of that is inconsistent with what you're saying. His point is that it's unlikely some Marshal Mathers-type character will sweep in with his giant checkbook to set a record on this piece. You got caught up on an incorrect generalization he made about coin collectors and lost track of the main point.

The coin bit was just an analogy as part of the larger discussion. Nothing's been lost track of, and no one's been caught up in this small point.

No one disagrees that it's unlikely that some Marshall Mathers-type character will swoop in.

It's the reason(s) why that won't happen that is/are under dispute.

It's funny I didn't question it then but when I look at Keaton now I just think to myself that he, to use a Joecollectorism, has got breadstick arms. When I find myself thinking that batman looks like I could b!tchslap him it loses some dramatic effect.

Jonathan Ross is a lifelong comic collector and major player in the OA market. What people don't get is that people don't become rich and famous and then decide to collect the best of the best comic books and OA. If you weren't already hardcore into it earlier, like Ross, it is very unlikely you'll get into it when you have limitless other options at your disposal.

Eminem buys comics and likes John Romita. That doesn't really tell me anything - is he a big player in comics? He's definitely not a big player in OA (if at all). Even if he thought Ross' OA was cool and that he'd like to pick something up, it'd be extremely unlikely that he'd be so enamored of the Hulk #180 page that he'd be willing to shell out half a million bucks, let alone a million, to buy it without really knowing the market.

Like I said - you need a lifelong passion, the means/resources, the knowledge, the connections and time to build up your confidence and courage to make a big purchase in a market you don't know anything about. I think there is virtually zero chance that the Hulk #180 page will be headed to Detroit anytime soon.

I agree on your knowledge regrading prices and current power players. But I have to disagree pretty strongly with this statement.

I see no reason why a very wealthy individual with even only a passing interest wouldn't spend 500k on something they thought was cool. Especially when as you have shown OA is so difficult to price and the uninitiated (myself included) can easily way overvalue pieces after perusing past auction results.

Like I said - you need a lifelong passion, the means/resources, the knowledge, the connections and time to build up your confidence and courage to make a big purchase in a market you don't know anything about. I think there is virtually zero chance that the Hulk #180 page will be headed to Detroit anytime soon.

I agree on your knowledge regrading prices and current power players. But I have to disagree pretty strongly with this statement.

I see no reason why a very wealthy individual with even only a passing interest wouldn't spend 500k on something they thought was cool. Especially when as you have shown OA is so difficult to price and the uninitiated (myself included) can easily way overvalue pieces after perusing past auction results.

How many times has a wealthy outsider with no or only a passing interest spent $500K on American comic book art at auction? The answer is: never. I'm going to play the odds and say it's not going to happen this time around. Am I 100% certain? No, but with a track record of 100%, I'd say it's a pretty good bet and that only someone with a firm grasp of comics history and this piece's place within it, is confident in the OA market and where it might be going and has the interest and resources is going to be walking away with this piece.

Everybody has read stories about wealthy individuals blowing big money on stupid things. Because we are comic and OA collectors, we think, "well, why not on comics/OA?", because that's what most of us would do if we fell into a hundred million bucks. And, of course, the answer is that people who fall into money or earn big money not only have their own set of existing interests, but the world is their oyster at that point and they have a limitless array of venues to spend their money. Comics will pass through a minuscule portion of these peoples' minds. Comic art even less.

Not to mention, let's face it - when you hear about people blowing stupid amounts of money on frivolous things on a whim, it's usually on blinged out jewelry. Supercars. Blinged-out supercars. Hiring Katy Perry to sing at their daughter's bat mitzvah. Things that may be egregiously priced, but that they can understand. And that have price tags. Who goes to auctions of things they have no real interest in/no real experience dealing with and decides to drop half a stick on something without an established track record of being worth that much? Virtually no one. That's just not how the world works. I'm not saying that's a metaphysical absolute. I am saying that the odds are remote enough to not even be worth considering.

I didn't want to post anything further in this thread, but, since I have, my previous point regarding coin collectors was obviously a generalization and not 100% true in all cases. It was never meant to do anything other than to point out the obvious differences between the coin hobby (a "status" hobby as someone described) and the comics/comic art hobby, which (along with baseball cards, toys, etc.) is largely fueled by nostalgia and the narrative of recapturing youth, and to point out that trying to disprove my point about the latter by pointing out anything to do with the former made little sense.

Did Bale get all pumped up again for the last movie? He sure didn't need to, with the Bat-armour being so large and bulky.

-------

No idea, haven't seen it. But in the photo above, look at how easily Jack N can put his hands around Keaton's upper bicep and how thin his shoulder looks. He can almost close his hand around Keaton's bicep and that's with a costume on. :boo: Hit the gym, batman :insane: He looks like he weighs a buck fifty.

How many times has a wealthy outsider with no or only a passing interest spent $500K on American comic book art at auction? The answer is: never. I'm going to play the odds and say it's not going to happen this time around. Am I 100% certain? No, but with a track record of 100%, I'd say it's a pretty good bet and that only someone with a firm grasp of comics history and this piece's place within it, is confident in the OA market and where it might be going and has the interest and resources is going to be walking away with this piece.

Everybody has read stories about wealthy individuals blowing big money on stupid things. Because we are comic and OA collectors, we think, "well, why not on comics/OA?", because that's what most of us would do if we fell into a hundred million bucks. And, of course, the answer is that people who fall into money or earn big money not only have their own set of existing interests, but the world is their oyster at that point and they have a limitless array of venues to spend their money. Comics will pass through a minuscule portion of these peoples' minds. Comic art even less.

Not to mention, let's face it - when you hear about people blowing stupid amounts of money on frivolous things on a whim, it's usually on blinged out jewelry. Supercars. Blinged-out supercars. Hiring Katy Perry to sing at their daughter's bat mitzvah. Things that may be egregiously priced, but that they can understand. And that have price tags. Who goes to auctions of things they have no real interest in/no real experience dealing with and decides to drop half a stick on something without an established track record of being worth that much? Virtually no one. That's just not how the world works. I'm not saying that's a metaphysical absolute. I am saying that the odds are remote enough to not even be worth considering.

I didn't want to post anything further in this thread, but, since I have, my previous point regarding coin collectors was obviously a generalization and not 100% true in all cases. It was never meant to do anything other than to point out the obvious differences between the coin hobby (a "status" hobby as someone described) and the comics/comic art hobby, which (along with baseball cards, toys, etc.) is largely fueled by nostalgia and the narrative of recapturing youth, and to point out that trying to disprove my point about the latter by pointing out anything to do with the former made little sense.

I agree that it is remote. I have two issues with your statement. I dispute that a life long passion is a necessary condition for a large purchase in any field, which you have now redacted/rephrased to make your intended point clear.

Secondly I would say your wording is still too strong when you say "the odds are remote enough to not even be worth considering". The mega rich and famous abound with anecdotes of profligate purchases. I see no reason why a 100 millionaire with a demonstrated interest in comics couldn't suddenly become enamored with a certain field and throw themselves into it.

As a comic example WallStreetRebel built a top ranking X-Men set (second or third from memory?) in a very short period of time after not collecting at all.

As a comic example WallStreetRebel built a top ranking X-Men set (second or third from memory?) in a very short period of time after not collecting at all.

Fair enough, but Gene does have a point in that OA is a trickier animal. Someone who gets interested out of the blue can just look up prices in GPA and feel secure that they are getting their money's worth.

When you start from scratch in OA it simply takes quite a bit of time before you can build up the confidence in your internal valuations.

The first little while is all just a struggle to understand why this piece sells for this and that piece sells for that. Its not the mind frame anyone likes to be in when spending a significant sum, even if they can easily afford it.

A piece like this is especially hard to value. If MM wants a kirby splash, well, he can look on heritage for past results and get at least some kind of sense of what to pay. But to ask the guy to just walk up and have the confidence to buy a herb trimpe wolverine page for six and seven figures when he is not long removed from a mid grade avengers ? That would be one spicy meatball.