• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Wolverine art @ $140K with 22 days to go!!

519 posts in this topic

I make my own hot chili powder, and love to sprinkle it on popcorn.

;)

-slym

hm

I have to try this... Do you simply dry & grind to make the powder or so you stick in other herbs to taste as well? Do you melt butter on too?

Have you ever fingered your nostrils... Or worse... With popped-corn-chilli-fingers?

ANSWERS MY GOOD MAN, I need them.

:foryou:

Edited by dntfeedthemnkys

i heard a rumor Eminem could be actively seeking this OA

im sure he has the funds for a $1 milllion purchase

lol Do you say stuff like this just to try to give Gene an aneurysm?

Side note:

I have to admit I hadn't heard of eminem collecting before and I googled it for gits and shiggles and I found an article online that talks about his "otherworldly" collection that even (!) includes an "ultra rare amazing fantasy 15" (!!). He may have other stuff we don't know about but from reading that article you'd sure wouldnt think he's cut from the nick cage / Kirk Hammett cloth

i heard a rumor Eminem could be actively seeking this OA

im sure he has the funds for a $1 milllion purchase

lol Do you say stuff like this just to try to give Gene an aneurysm?

Like I've said before, having mega-bucks is a necessary, but insufficient, condition to winning a major trophy piece like this. The reason why just about every single major OA trophy piece has gone to one of the "usual suspects" (there are a very few where we don't know what happened to them, but it's likely that these, too, have gone to longtime collectors), is because it takes a very particular kind of clinical psychosis to spend hundreds of thousands, let alone a million bucks or more, on B&W drawings of men and women in tights, a kind of psychosis that only comes from a lifetime of being passionately involved with the storylines, characters, etc.

Guys like Kirk Hammett and Nic Cage had that (though, neither of them managed to make a big splash in the OA world as they both had many competing interests and demands on their time such as busy careers, a hostile spouse in the case of Cage, etc. as well). Hugh Jackman clearly doesn't fit the FBI profile, so he's not going to win this page no matter how much he earns in X-Men/Wolverine salary and royalties. Eminem? I don't know enough about him to comment, but it would be very unusual for anyone, even someone who does have the fever and passion for the material, to come in and drop a million bucks on their first OA purchase. Nobody, especially a celebrity outsider, wants to come in and look like a fool.

We had an OA get-together in NYC on Saturday and there were a couple of guys in attendance who have celebrity clients. The major takeaways from both of them? 1. Many celebrities are notoriously cheap, as they often get so many things for free and expect certain privileges. 2. Highly successful celebrities have an infinite number of options as to where to spend their time and money. Once they latch onto something, yes, they can become big spenders, but, the probability of getting to that point is tiny, which is why there are much fewer hardcore celebrity collectors than one might expect (I'd argue the same applies for successful people in other fields). 2c

I have little doubt that this page will be won by one of the usual suspects for a sub-$1 million price.

Guys like Kirk Hammett and Nic Cage had that (though, neither of them managed to make a big splash in the OA world .....

Didn't Kirk Hammett have the complete interior pages to X-Men 1 at one point? That's quite a splash in the OA world in my mind

Side note:

I have to admit I hadn't heard of eminem collecting before and I googled it for gits and shiggles and I found an article online that talks about his "otherworldly" collection that even (!) includes an "ultra rare amazing fantasy 15" (!!). He may have other stuff we don't know about but from reading that article you'd sure wouldnt think he's cut from the nick cage / Kirk Hammett cloth

It's well known in Detroit circles that eminem collects comics. He used to buy regularly from local dealers.

I wouldn't call him super savvy like someone who lives on this chat forum but he likes his comics.

Jonathan Ross is a lifelong comic collector and major player in the OA market. What people don't get is that people don't become rich and famous and then decide to collect the best of the best comic books and OA. If you weren't already hardcore into it earlier, like Ross, it is very unlikely you'll get into it when you have limitless other options at your disposal.

Eminem buys comics and likes John Romita. That doesn't really tell me anything - is he a big player in comics? He's definitely not a big player in OA (if at all). Even if he thought Ross' OA was cool and that he'd like to pick something up, it'd be extremely unlikely that he'd be so enamored of the Hulk #180 page that he'd be willing to shell out half a million bucks, let alone a million, to buy it without really knowing the market.

Like I said - you need a lifelong passion, the means/resources, the knowledge, the connections and time to build up your confidence and courage to make a big purchase in a market you don't know anything about. I think there is virtually zero chance that the Hulk #180 page will be headed to Detroit anytime soon.

Guys like Kirk Hammett and Nic Cage had that (though, neither of them managed to make a big splash in the OA world .....

Didn't Kirk Hammett have the complete interior pages to X-Men 1 at one point? That's quite a splash in the OA world in my mind

Yes, he bought it and sold it a few years later and that was about the extent of his involvement other than his involvement on the periphery with Famous Monsters covers and Frazetta paintings. Like I said, not really a big splash. (shrug)

Yes, he bought it and sold it a few years later and that was about the extent of his involvement other than his involvement on the periphery with Famous Monsters covers and Frazetta paintings. Like I said, not really a big splash. (shrug)

So if he did that, why is there zero chance Eminem wouldn't do the same with this piece?

So if he did that, why is there zero chance Eminem wouldn't do the same with this piece?

I didn't say zero chance, just highly unlikely. Hammett was already involved in both art and comics and definitely had the connections, which led to a private negotiated deal with an auction house and a major OA dealer for the X-Men #1 story - it's not like he just opened a Heritage catalog and decided he had to have the story. Very different circumstances.

Did you read that second article? The guy needed a mid grade avengers 3 . All that money , big marvel fan. , and he still needs a comic that certain regular joes wouldn't bother with

Why are the major players' names shrouded in such secrecy?

Who are they?

Peace,

Chip

Most of the major players' names are well-known (a few are off the radar), but people want to respect their privacy (a lot of major purchases have never been confirmed by their owners publicly). I certainly wouldn't want to mention any names this close to the auction and risk being blamed in any way for running the price up on them as a result of airing their identities (even if, again, most of their identities are well known).

If you do search for the major artists on ComicArtFans.com and see who owns them, it's not hard to get a sense of who at least a number of the major players are.

Did you read that second article? The guy needed a mid grade avengers 3 . All that money , big marvel fan. , and he still needs a comic that certain regular joes wouldn't bother with

The one that was 5 years old?

Exactly. People think that when celebrities get involved, they're all going to want the best of the best, money is no object and trophy items are preferred. While there is always the exception(s) that prove the rule, generally speaking, it takes a really deep clinical psychosis to be obsessed with the difference between a 9.2 and a 9.4 or with CGC labels at all. The overwhelming majority of comic fans out there just want a copy that looks nice, doesn't cost too much and that they can read. (shrug)

Sorry, "virtually zero" chance. It's already been shown here Eminem is into comics too and he was just recently on a variant cover (forget which one) so maybe he is thinking about getting into OA now?

Even if he was, I'm sure once he sees where OA prices are nowadays, he'll run in :fear: no matter how much money he has. :P

There are already celebrities (excluding Ross, who is hardcore) who dabble in collecting OA, including ones that I suspect are wealthier than Eminem. It still hasn't stopped all these big OA pieces from going to the same usual suspect collections. (shrug)

Until I see celebrity outsiders coming in and winning these big OA auctions, I'm going to stick with my position, which has been the correct one. :sumo: