• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Wolverine art @ $140K with 22 days to go!!

519 posts in this topic

Did you read that second article? The guy needed a mid grade avengers 3 . All that money , big marvel fan. , and he still needs a comic that certain regular joes wouldn't bother with

Exactly. People think that when celebrities get involved, they're all going to want the best of the best, money is no object and trophy items are preferred. While there is always the exception(s) that prove the rule, generally speaking, it takes a really deep clinical psychosis to be obsessed with the difference between a 9.2 and a 9.4 or with CGC labels at all. The overwhelming majority of comic fans out there just want a copy that looks nice, doesn't cost too much and that they can read. (shrug)

I thought we were talking about OA and that comic rules didn't apply to OA...

My company has some popular musical artists as clients and from what I've seen they have no trouble at all away tons of money on trivial things. Just like we were talking about with fine art; it's a status symbol to have the expensive pieces. So I really don't see the stretch here that a celebrity with a ton of money and who is into comics puts down on this piece.

Side note:

I have to admit I hadn't heard of eminem collecting before and I googled it for gits and shiggles and I found an article online that talks about his "otherworldly" collection that even (!) includes an "ultra rare amazing fantasy 15" (!!). He may have other stuff we don't know about but from reading that article you'd sure wouldnt think he's cut from the nick cage / Kirk Hammett cloth

It's well known in Detroit circles that eminem collects comics. He used to buy regularly from local dealers.

I wouldn't call him super savvy like someone who lives on this chat forum but he likes his comics.

With regards to those who think that people who become rich and famous don't get into the various aspects of the comics industry unless they were already lifelong fans before: The single greatest coin collection of all time was put together by a man who wasn't famous, but was certainly rich, and he began this pursuit when he was 29. His name was Louis Eliasberg. A passion from childhood certainly helps, but isn't necessary.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that Marshall Mathers....Eminem to the rest of the world...needs to build up confidence and courage. Eminem....? The man has a net worth between $115-$160 million. If Wolverine was that important to him...and he's 41, so he's the perfect age...would it really matter what his "connections" were? He already has an entire music industry at his beck and call, as well as many connections in Hollywood. His people need only place a phone call, and the information he wanted would be his within hours, if not minutes.

Rich and famous people make "big purchases" (and "big" is entirely relative) all the time in markets they know little about.

There may BE virtually zero chance the piece is headed to Detroit any time soon, but the reasons why would not be the ones some state. It would only be because of lack of interest, because all the resources are already in place.

Sorry, "virtually zero" chance. It's already been shown here Eminem is into comics too and he was just recently on a variant cover (forget which one) so maybe he is thinking about getting into OA now?

Even if he was, I'm sure once he sees where OA prices are nowadays, he'll run in :fear: no matter how much money he has. :P

There are already celebrities (excluding Ross, who is hardcore) who dabble in collecting OA, including ones that I suspect are wealthier than Eminem. It still hasn't stopped all these big OA pieces from going to the same usual suspect collections. (shrug)

Until I see celebrity outsiders coming in and winning these big OA auctions, I'm going to stick with my position, which has been the correct one. :sumo:

I actually don't doubt someone who is actually in the OA world will probably end up buying the piece. I'm only going back and forth on this because I think it's comical how you state your opinions (even if they are well informed) as fact. :sumo:

Did you read that second article? The guy needed a mid grade avengers 3 . All that money , big marvel fan. , and he still needs a comic that certain regular joes wouldn't bother with

Exactly. People think that when celebrities get involved, they're all going to want the best of the best, money is no object and trophy items are preferred. While there is always the exception(s) that prove the rule, generally speaking, it takes a really deep clinical psychosis to be obsessed with the difference between a 9.2 and a 9.4 or with CGC labels at all. The overwhelming majority of comic fans out there just want a copy that looks nice, doesn't cost too much and that they can read. (shrug)

I thought we were talking about OA and that comic rules didn't apply to OA...

My company has some popular musical artists as clients and from what I've seen they have no trouble at all away tons of money on trivial things. Just like we were talking about with fine art; it's a status symbol to have the expensive pieces. So I really don't see the stretch here that a celebrity with a ton of money and who is into comics puts down on this piece.

Exactly.

There are simply some things that transcend logic, reason, trends, past history, "the usual suspects", and any other factors that would normally be figured in.

This is one of those pieces.

With regards to those who think that people who become rich and famous don't get into the various aspects of the comics industry unless they were already lifelong fans before: The single greatest coin collection of all time was put together by a man who wasn't famous, but was certainly rich, and he began this pursuit when he was 29. His name was Louis Eliasberg. A passion from childhood certainly helps, but isn't necessary.

Coins <> Comics. When you're rich, certain hobbies find you (like coins and fine art), as opposed to you finding them. People don't get nostalgic over coins. This analogy makes zero sense.

There may BE virtually zero chance the piece is headed to Detroit any time soon, but the reasons why would not be the ones some state. It would only be because of lack of interest, because all the resources are already in place.

Didn't I say that resources are a necessary but insufficient condition?? There are many, many thousands of people who have more resources than the small group of people from which the likely buyer of this page will emerge. What those many thousands of people, including Eminem, don't have is that single-minded obsessiveness that has led this small group to pursue and amass the world's best comic art collections.

It's like one OA BSD said to me recently. If a celebrity had somehow heard about this piece and was interested in it, what do you think would happen? He or their advisor or agent would call up Heritage. The guy at Heritage would tell the guy about the piece and that the estimate is $100,000-up. The advisor would say thank you, hang up, and call his client back. Most likely, the celebrity would say, "$100K? For that?" But, even if he wasn't deterred by the fact that it was like 100x more expensive than the VG copy of Hulk #181 in his collection, is the celebrity going to say, "OK, bid up to a million?" Hell, no!

This is just not how the world works outside of the fanciful imaginations of those in their comfy comic world bubble.

Coins <> Comics. When you're rich, certain hobbies find you (like coins and fine art), as opposed to you finding them. People don't get nostalgic over coins. This analogy makes zero sense.

Wow.

lol

I actually don't doubt someone who is actually in the OA world will probably end up buying the piece. I'm only going back and forth on this because I think it's comical how you state your opinions (even if they are well informed) as fact. :sumo:

Stick around, noob, I've still got a lot to teach you. :sumo:

bud-fox-gordon-gekko-310.jpg

Wow.

lol

Says the guy who tries to use a coin example to disprove the assertion that "people who become rich and famous don't get into the various aspects of the comics industry unless they were already lifelong fans before." :facepalm:

Keep up the good work, Socrates!

Wow.

lol

Says the guy who tries to use a coin example to disprove the assertion that "people who become rich and famous don't get into the various aspects of the comics industry unless they were already lifelong fans before." :facepalm:

You have no idea what you're talking about. Why anyone takes you seriously is beyond me.

"People don't get nostalgic over coins."

That's one of the more uneducated blanket statements I have ever seen on this board.

:facepalm:

i heard a rumor Eminem could be actively seeking this OA

im sure he has the funds for a $1 milllion purchase

lol Do you say stuff like this just to try to give Gene an aneurysm?

This is all your fault. :pullhair:

lol

No thanks.

lol

No thanks.

Sandbagged me in the Hulk #180 page thread, huh? I guess you think you taught the teacher a lesson, that the tail can wag the dog huh? Well let me clue you in, pal. The ice is melting right underneath your feet.

Did you think you could've learned as much about the OA market this far, this fast with anyone else, huh? That you'd be out there rubbing shoulders with The Vacuum and getting calls from Romitaman? No. You'd still be doing eBay searches and hanging out with RMA in Comics General!

I took you in! A NOBODY! I opened the doors for you! Showed you how the system works! The value of information! How to *get it*! Burkey, Albert Moy, how to deal with the Donnellys - introduced you to all the big dealers as well as collectors so far off the radar that NORAD can't even find them! And this is how you pay me back?

I GAVE you the OA market. I GAVE you your manhood. I gave you EVERYTHING!

wall-street-gordon-gekko-attackiert-bud-fox.jpg

I make my own hot chili powder, and love to sprinkle it on popcorn.

;)

hm

I have to try this... Do you simply dry & grind to make the powder or so you stick in other herbs to taste as well? Do you melt butter on too?

Have you ever fingered your nostrils... Or worse... With popped-corn-chilli-fingers?

ANSWERS MY GOOD MAN, I need them.

:foryou:

I dry my own peppers and then use a combination of ingredients. I like salt, black pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, cumin, paprika, and oregano to mix into the ground dried peppers. Amounts vary and it is always good.

I don't use extra butter, what I pop the corn in is usually enough.

That last question sounds too pervy to answer.

(:

-slym

Wow.

lol

You have no idea what you're talking about. Why anyone takes you seriously is beyond me.

"People don't get nostalgic over coins."

That's one of the more uneducated blanket statements I have ever seen on this board.

:facepalm:

I think you're both arguing just to argue at this point.

Side note:

I have to admit I hadn't heard of eminem collecting before and I googled it for gits and shiggles and I found an article online that talks about his "otherworldly" collection that even (!) includes an "ultra rare amazing fantasy 15" (!!). He may have other stuff we don't know about but from reading that article you'd sure wouldnt think he's cut from the nick cage / Kirk Hammett cloth

It's well known in Detroit circles that eminem collects comics. He used to buy regularly from local dealers.

I wouldn't call him super savvy like someone who lives on this chat forum but he likes his comics.

I'm not sure why anyone thinks that Marshall Mathers....Eminem to the rest of the world...needs to build up confidence and courage. Eminem....? The man has a net worth between $115-$160 million. If Wolverine was that important to him...and he's 41, so he's the perfect age...would it really matter what his "connections" were? He already has an entire music industry at his beck and call, as well as many connections in Hollywood. His people need only place a phone call, and the information he wanted would be his within hours, if not minutes.

Rich and famous people make "big purchases" (and "big" is entirely relative) all the time in markets they know little about.

I don't see how this differs significantly from what Gene was saying. What you call "interest", he framed as a certain "psychosis" or requisite passion.

And there is something to the idea that certain hobbies are driven more by nostalgia and others more by status. People are wildly diverse, and when you're talking about why someone does what they do, motivations will run the gamut. That said, I think it's reasonable to assume that the primary motivation behind someone with resources choosing to put the time, effort and money into original comic art will differ from another individual with similar resources deciding to collect fine art, or wine; the latter two examples most likely not being motivated by nostalgia or a lifelong passion, at least not to the extent that is typical among the OA crowd.

That said, I know nothing about coins or coin collectors. Again, I'm sure motivations run the gamut, so I don't agree with Gene's blanket statement either, but it doesn't invalidate the rest of his argument.