• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When Did Pressing Become A Thing?
1 1

125 posts in this topic

Pressing was an isolated incident with specific books prior to CGC, but it really took off with the slabbed speculation where a even .2 jump could mean thousands of dollars, and probably went mainstream in the early-2000's.

If I was to guess where things really went off the rails, it would be in the 2003-2004 era, where guys like Ewert were gaming the system and it really became an epidemic.

How does pressing have anything to do with undisclosed micro-trimming?

Neither can be consistently detected.

You do the math. :/

Neither can farting on a book and letting it air out. Neither farting nor pressing is equivalent to undisclosed destruction of a book meant to defraud a buyer.

Farting does not flatten/crush the spine, does not pop the staples and does not create right edges pokethroughs aka Costanza style.

I will take your farted books over your pressed books any time.

Document preservation has been around since the time of ancient egypt. I'm sure as soon as comics began to realize serious values, smart enterprising young men began to fiddle with techniques on conservation, preservation and restoration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preservation_(library_and_archival_science)

It's brilliant, isn't it, revisionism?

NOD now caused pressing?

:facepalm:

+1, just plan crazy :facepalm:

Yeah, "sunlight is the best disinfectant" twisted in to "who dragged it under a grow-light, man!!" :screwy:

If by "a thing" the OP meant "absolutely no going back", I think an argument could be made for the 2012 Schmell sell off event/CCS homecoming.

Full public display of a champion with winnings, followed with an "all skate" announcement.

Prior to that it was all about managing just how slowly to open the flood gate, to not inadvertently drown themselves in the process. Slooooooowly, cautiously, correcting any missteps, for as many years as necessary.

Pressing was an isolated incident with specific books prior to CGC, but it really took off with the slabbed speculation where a even .2 jump could mean thousands of dollars, and probably went mainstream in the early-2000's.

If I was to guess where things really went off the rails, it would be in the 2003-2004 era, where guys like Ewert were gaming the system and it really became an epidemic.

How does pressing have anything to do with undisclosed micro-trimming?

Neither can be consistently detected.

You do the math. :/

Neither can farting on a book and letting it air out. Neither farting nor pressing is equivalent to undisclosed destruction of a book meant to defraud a buyer.

Farting does not flatten/crush the spine, does not pop the staples and does not create right edges pokethroughs aka Costanza style.

I will take your farted books over your pressed books any time.

I had no idea that when I had the four books pressed of mine that they came back with crushed spines, popped staples, and Costanza'd edges. Oh, wait, that didn't happen.

-slym

It's brilliant, isn't it, revisionism?

NOD now caused pressing?

+1, just plan crazy :facepalm:

Yeah, "sunlight is the best disinfectant" twisted in to "who dragged it under a grow-light, man!!" :screwy:

Are you people high?

Here is what the OP asked:

I guess my question is when did pressing go mainstream?

Here is my first answer (in agreement with Transplant).

And the answer to the OP's question, in my hindsight, is when NOD started having lengthy efforts to talk about pressing and disclosure of pressing. I was in there along with them, but it was, IMHO, the main thing that led to the explosion of pressers. At least pressers on these boards.

Yup, and I stated the same when the entire NOD thing initially started.

As much as their movement was a dislike and anti-pressing, all it did was increase awareness and therefore increase incidence of pressing. Like wildfire.

Where in this entire thread did anybody say NOD caused pressing?

Why you guys twist words in an effort to straighten out your agendas didn't make sense to me until know but since you guys were likely supporters of NOD it's understandable I guess that you would get defensive.

Please understand that I was not taking a swipe at NOD. I was imply relaying the fact that NOD opened the knowledge and idea of pressing to more people in a shorter period of time than any other information stream. I said it was going to happen 8 years ago when NOD was first formed on this very forum.

Again, I found out from an anti presser and NOD member first.

After that, it was obviously CGC, the grade increments, money and better looking books that caused everyone to choose to press books.

But they couldn't choose to press them until they found out about it first.

Circa 2006-2008.

It's just a difference of interpreting history then. You think "mainstream" occurred 2006-2008.

In 2006 NOD formed over PCS, Ewert and a host of non-disclosure issues, there was an uproar over changes to Restoration definitions In New 2006 Overstreet Guide, and the Scoop pressing debates raged.

Obviously it wasn't "mainstream" throughout 2006 with maneuverings, shock and debates occurring.

So 2012 gets my "mainstream" vote. Or it became "mainstream" enough, for the very 1st time, to bring PCS back inhouse and comfortably put out the Welcome All mat.

No way in hell that could've occurred on Day-One. No way. And if it could've occured in 2006-2008, it absolutely would have.

I imagine pressing became "a thing" of major significance the moment the 1st big dealer got books back with SCS.

CGC had to fix those books.

The moment they restored those books to their pre-slabbing glory.....they knew there was no turning back.

It's just a difference of interpreting history then. You think "mainstream" occurred 2006-2008.

Mainstream to me is when you have a picture of a Spidey mask in public areas, when Wolverine is recognized outside of comics and when everyone is talking about it.

Pressing became mainstream when it became common knowledge and in my experience, the cottage pressing industry, convention talk and pressing in general became a commonplace word after the 2006-2008 period.

I'd peg it at 2008 if I had to as my memory serves me.

You say 2012 because of CCS. Fair enough. I think it was already a household word by 2008.

Household word?

Personally I still have doubts about "mainstream", beyond the context of this messageboard.

I bet if you surveyed Comic Con attendees as they entered, the percentage be fairly tiny still. And that's just a general awareness of pressing, not the broader world of all non-additive restoration techniques in play today.

Household word?

Personally I still have doubts about "mainstream", beyond the context of this messageboard.

I bet if you surveyed Comic Con attendees as they entered, the percentage be fairly tiny still. And that's just a general awareness of pressing, not the broader world of all non-additive restoration techniques in play today.

Exactly... most comic book readers wouldn't know or care about pressing and wouldn't even know what it involves.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but I searched and couldn't find anything...

Today if a book has been slabbed recently, most people assume it's probably already been pressed. I was wondering if there was a consensus on when you might not assume a book has been pressed from the date it was slabbed. 2008? 2004? 2001?

I guess my question is when did pressing go mainstream?

If I found a book that was slabbed in 2007, and the seller didn't know its history, safe to assume it hadn't already been pressed?

It became the norm when people started seeing the same book they sold last month, next month with a diff grade for 3x more.

Household word?

Household word within the context of the hobby.

When you're hanging with a board member and they say 'I wanna show you something' and the walk you into a room and show you their new press and then you listen to people at cons talk about it at every level I'd say that's mainstream.

I want to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's like an advance course on comics -- I've learned a lot!

The knowledge and experience on these boards truly runs deep. To me collecting isn't just about speculating or money (although I do get just as caught up in it as the next guy) but appreciating the history of the hobby as well. Too cool.

To Dav and Nick and others who want to challenge my opinion on when pressing became a thing, please remember that I was there with you screaming to the top of my lungs. But what I realize now is that a side effect of proactively disclosing pressing is that people, who may have been unaware of what pressing was, will want to know what pressing is. Once you know what pressing is, it's hard to not consider pressing books rather than sell them and let someone else collect the benefit.

I still think proactively disclosing pressing was a good idea. But it definitely increased discussion about pressing and the number of people who do it.

I want to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's like an advance course on comics -- I've learned a lot!

The knowledge and experience on these boards truly runs deep. To me collecting isn't just about speculating or money (although I do get just as caught up in it as the next guy) but appreciating the history of the hobby as well. Too cool.

No, no, no, you're doing it all WRONG!

Comics General isn't for learning anything. Everyone knows Comics General is the place to go to confirm your own opinions and denigrate anyone who disagrees with you.

Noobs.

:cool:

To Dav and Nick and others who want to challenge my opinion on when pressing became a thing, please remember that I was there with you screaming to the top of my lungs. But what I realize now is that a side effect of proactively disclosing pressing is that people, who may have been unaware of what pressing was, will want to know what pressing is. Once you know what pressing is, it's hard to not consider pressing books rather than sell them and let someone else collect the benefit.

I still think proactively disclosing pressing was a good idea. But it definitely increased discussion about pressing and the number of people who do it.

I run a pressing business due to what I discovered here.