• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasonable Price for ASM 361

489 posts in this topic

Is anyone talking about the 2nd printing yet? I see the gap is closing between the 1st and 2nd printing. CGC 9.8 1st printing = $225 & CGC 9.8 2nd printing = $173. hm

The 90 day average is literally 6 dollars behind the other.

The same thing happened for awhile with the asm 300 chromium reprint. For awhile that was actually "more" valuable than the first printing. Now it's not close. The second printing of asm 361 isn't a scarce comic at all. I fully expect the first printing to pull away from the second printing sooner rather than later for good, as happened with 300. Pretty much everybody wants the first printing of the first appearance of a major character, whereas "second printings" are a bit more of a niche sub-market with a smaller collector base.

-J.

I'm sorry, but some of what you said above doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

First of all,the ASM #300 chromium reprint is not the ASM #300 second print. It came out 10 years later and is officially Marvel Collectibles Classic #1. The ASM #361 second print came out a month after the first print. That's a completely different comparison. Secondly, The ASM #361 second print is extremely scarce compared first print in universal 9.8. There are 917 blue 9.8's of the first print on the census, compared to only 47 blue 9.8's of the second print. I've been watching second prints on eBay and they don't come up much often. When they do they're bought within hours or sooner.

Is anyone talking about the 2nd printing yet? I see the gap is closing between the 1st and 2nd printing. CGC 9.8 1st printing = $225 & CGC 9.8 2nd printing = $173. hm

The same thing happened for awhile with the asm 300 chromium reprint. For awhile that was actually "more" valuable than the first printing. Now it's not close. The second printing of asm 361 isn't a scarce comic at all. I fully expect the first printing to pull away from the second printing sooner rather than later for good, as happened with 300. Pretty much everybody wants the first printing of the first appearance of a major character, whereas "second printings" are a bit more of a niche sub-market with a smaller collector base.

-J.

First of all,the ASM #300 chromium reprint is not the ASM #300 second print. It came out 10 years later and is officially Marvel Collectibles Classic #1. The ASM #361 second print came out a month after the first print. That's a completely different comparison. Secondly, The ASM #361 second print is extremely scarce compared first print in universal 9.8. There are 917 blue 9.8's of the first print on the census, compared to only 47 blue 9.8's of the second print. I've been watching second prints on eBay and they don't come up much often. When they do they're bought within hours or sooner.

And I didn't say the chromium 300 was the "second printing", now did I illustrious? lol And I only used the chromium reprint as an example because it is in fact a verifiably low print run reprint with only around 3500 copies I believe.

Further, please don't make the same mistake so many other do by equating currently low census numbers with "rarity". Very little from the copper age is actually "rare". If these second printings hold any sustained value, more and more will hit the census, and that will only hasten the price disparity between the first print. There are usually a couple available at any given time as is. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

And I didn't say the chromium 300 was the "second printing", now did I illustrious? lol

Further, please don't make the same mistake so many other do by equating currently low census numbers with "rarity". Very little from the copper age is actually "rare". If these second printings hold any sustained value, more and more will hit the census, and that will only hasten the price disparity between the first print. There are usually a couple available at any given time as is. (thumbs u

-J.

The numbers between the first print 9.8's and second print 9.8's will be never be close, no matter how many are submitted, the gap is way too large now. The second print will always have much lower numbers in 9.8 since it has the silver ink metallic cover that is unforgiving to even non color breaking creases.

-J.

But hes right that second (or higher) printings are a niche market compared to originals. They appeal to the bored and jaded collectors who already have the originals they want and don't know how else to expand their collections.

It's only in the last few years that most second+ printings and reprints have really started to be sought out in any significant numbers and have achieved any value. Which obviously affects the submission/census numbers.

-J.

Yeah, I hate when people equate census numbers to extant copies. I wish Death would claim those people. :shy:

-J.

Yeah, I hate when people equate census numbers to extant copies. I wish Death would claim those people. :shy:

lol Yes those who do should certainly die at least 100 deaths.

-J.

As soon as Carnage is confirmed in a movie, these books will be going for $400 or more in 9.8. So if you're on the fence, get one now before any official announcement.

That assumes that the movie news spike continues indefinitely. I suspect it won't, but when it scales back I can't say.

So far only rumors have been thrown around for Carnage to appear in a Venom movie. When Carnage is confirmed to be in any movie, prices will go up.

Further, please don't make the same mistake so many other do by equating currently low census numbers with "rarity".

-J.

You're the one who made the claim, first that there were only around 30 copies, then upping it to around 100, of the Sandman #8 variant still extant.

Based on what...?

The census numbers.

You can't have it both ways.

Further, please don't make the same mistake so many other do by equating currently low census numbers with "rarity".

-J.

You're the one who made the claim, first that there were only around 30 copies, then upping it to around 100, of the Sandman #8 variant still extant.

Based on what...?

The census numbers.

:eyeroll:

Seriously, let it go already it's apples and oranges. Not only are you mis-quoting me, you are making statements in a vacuum. Sandman 8b IS a rare comic from the copper age, and worth several hundreds of dollars in low grade raw because of that, and the fact that it is a key first appearance in the series.

Neither asm 361 second print nor asm 301 , any print, in 9.8 or otherwise are "rare", and never will be. This non-argument you have been attempting to make across multiple threads and sub-forums has grown tiresome. Let's please change the channel.

-J.

I'm not sure if #361 2nd printing is rare but I do know that the market is showing an interest in this comic. Heck, I never thought an Amazing Spider-Man #361 CGC 9.8 1st printing would clear $200 but yet here we are. And Amazing Spider-Man #361 2nd printing seems to be right behind it. Feel free to argue about rarity but it's hard to debate the facts. (shrug)

Edited by whetteon

I'm not sure if #361 2nd printing is rare but I do know that the market is showing an interest in this comic. Heck, I never thought an Amazing Spider-Man #361 CGC 9.8 1st printing would clear $200 but yet here we are. And Amazing Spider-Man #361 2nd printing seems to be right behind it. Feel free to argue about rarity but it's hard to debate the facts. (shrug)

Uh, isn't that what the first 12 pages of this thread are about? hmlol

Uh, isn't that what the first 12 pages of this thread are about? hmlol

But now we have permission, so it's go time.

This is one of the rare instances that the first prints seem more desirable than the second. I've noticed this on raws, as well as graded:

This is one of the rare instances that the first prints seem more desirable than the second. I've noticed this on raws, as well as graded:

At this time that appears to be true. The gap is closing recently. Last year it was crazy to see a 2nd printing get over $100+ in 9.8. This year they have been sales of 9.8 2nd printing in the $200's. That's a big gain in less than 365. Just right behind the 1st printing in 9.8 also in the $200's. I'm interested to see if the 2nd printing pulls ahead. hm

(thumbs u

Edited by whetteon

At this time that appears to be true. The gap is closing recently. Last year it was crazy to see a 2nd printing get over $100+ in 9.8. This year they have been sales of 9.8 2nd printing in the $200's. That's a big gain in less than 365. Just right behind the 1st printing in 9.8 also in the $200's. I'm interested to see if the 2nd printing pulls ahead. hm

(thumbs u

If the only thing significant about the book is its current perception of "rarity", I wouldn't count on it. The vast majority of collectors want the first print of books like this. The second printing doesn't rank much above novelty status. It is the first print that is the "key". It is the first print that will go NM 98-style nuclear if/when a movie announcement is made, and it will be the one everyone will be chasing. (thumbs u

-J.

-J.

Based on what...?

The census numbers.

Seriously, let it go already it's apples and oranges. Not only are you mis-quoting me, you are making statements in a vacuum. Sandman 8b IS a rare comic from the copper age, and worth several hundreds of dollars in low grade raw because of that, and the fact that it is a key first appearance in the series.

Neither asm 361 second print nor asm 301 , any print, in 9.8 or otherwise are "rare", and never will be. This non-argument you have been attempting to make across multiple threads and sub-forums has grown tiresome. Let's please change the channel.

-J.

No, that's pretty much a completely accurate representation of your comments, as others have also pointed out.

If you find the "non-argument" tiresome, you should stop making it. I wasn't the one who said "low census numbers" = "not many copies extant"; you were. And you cannot have it both ways.

If you don't like your arguments biting you in the rear, make better arguments. It's pretty straightforward.

(thumbs u

If the only thing significant about the book is its current perception of "rarity", I wouldn't count on it. The vast majority of collectors want the first print of books like this. The second printing doesn't rank much above novelty status. It is the first print that is the "key". It is the first print that will go NM 98-style nuclear if/when a movie announcement is made, and it will be the one everyone will be chasing. (thumbs u

-J.

Here's where you might have a problem...

When Spidey #361 2nd print came out, later printings were one step above bubonic plague. People bought them, but only if they were forced to, and had no other choice, if they wanted to read them.

They CERTAINLY never bought them to collect. And, it would be another decade before anyone took a "later printing" seriously for any book.

That means this book, and others like it, suffered from attrition rates far above normal for the first printings. That, and the metallic, unforgiving ink means that it will be a difficult book to track down in 9.8.

Not rare...there will likely be more 2nd print 361s on the census than first print #301s by the middle of next year...but certainly toughER to find than first prints, for sure.

The fact that it is a second print definitely counts against it...but these days, the mentality of "2nd printing?? EWWWW! Get it awAY from me!!" is long gone.

We shall see.

-J.

Based on what...?

The census numbers.

-J.

No, that's pretty much a completely accurate representation of your comments, as others have also pointed out.

If you find the "non-argument" tiresome, you should stop making it. I wasn't the one who said "low census numbers" = "not many copies extant"; you were. And you cannot have it both ways.

If you don't like your arguments biting you in the rear, make better arguments. It's pretty straightforward.

Sic 'em RMA, sic 'em lol