• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasonable Price for ASM 361

489 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if #361 2nd printing is rare but I do know that the market is showing an interest in this comic. Heck, I never thought an Amazing Spider-Man #361 CGC 9.8 1st printing would clear $200 but yet here we are. And Amazing Spider-Man #361 2nd printing seems to be right behind it. Feel free to argue about rarity but it's hard to debate the facts. (shrug)

This is one of the rare instances that the first prints seem more desirable than the second. I've noticed this on raws, as well as graded:

At this time that appears to be true. The gap is closing recently. Last year it was crazy to see a 2nd printing get over $100+ in 9.8. This year they have been sales of 9.8 2nd printing in the $200's. That's a big gain in less than 365. Just right behind the 1st printing in 9.8 also in the $200's. I'm interested to see if the 2nd printing pulls ahead. hm

(thumbs u

If the only thing significant about the book is its current perception of "rarity", I wouldn't count on it. The vast majority of collectors want the first print of books like this. The second printing doesn't rank much above novelty status. It is the first print that is the "key". It is the first print that will go NM 98-style nuclear if/when a movie announcement is made, and it will be the one everyone will be chasing. (thumbs u

-J.

Here's where you might have a problem...

When Spidey #361 2nd print came out, later printings were one step above bubonic plague. People bought them, but only if they were forced to, and had no other choice, if they wanted to read them.

They CERTAINLY never bought them to collect. And, it would be another decade before anyone took a "later printing" seriously for any book.

That means this book, and others like it, suffered from attrition rates far above normal for the first printings. That, and the metallic, unforgiving ink means that it will be a difficult book to track down in 9.8.

Not rare...there will likely be more 2nd print 361s on the census than first print #301s by the middle of next year...but certainly toughER to find than first prints, for sure.

The fact that it is a second print definitely counts against it...but these days, the mentality of "2nd printing?? EWWWW! Get it awAY from me!!" is long gone.

We shall see.

Maybe I was an aberration, but I grabbed the second prints for my collection when I saw them. Granted I only grabbed one of most, because I didn't think they were going to be valuable, but I wanted it for my collection. (Mainly just the Marvel ones with the metallic ink, though; I didn't think the roman numerals on the DC reprints made them all that desirable, and still don't.)

I'm not sure if #361 2nd printing is rare but I do know that the market is showing an interest in this comic. Heck, I never thought an Amazing Spider-Man #361 CGC 9.8 1st printing would clear $200 but yet here we are. And Amazing Spider-Man #361 2nd printing seems to be right behind it. Feel free to argue about rarity but it's hard to debate the facts. (shrug)

This is one of the rare instances that the first prints seem more desirable than the second. I've noticed this on raws, as well as graded:

At this time that appears to be true. The gap is closing recently. Last year it was crazy to see a 2nd printing get over $100+ in 9.8. This year they have been sales of 9.8 2nd printing in the $200's. That's a big gain in less than 365. Just right behind the 1st printing in 9.8 also in the $200's. I'm interested to see if the 2nd printing pulls ahead. hm

(thumbs u

If the only thing significant about the book is its current perception of "rarity", I wouldn't count on it. The vast majority of collectors want the first print of books like this. The second printing doesn't rank much above novelty status. It is the first print that is the "key". It is the first print that will go NM 98-style nuclear if/when a movie announcement is made, and it will be the one everyone will be chasing. (thumbs u

-J.

Here's where you might have a problem...

When Spidey #361 2nd print came out, later printings were one step above bubonic plague. People bought them, but only if they were forced to, and had no other choice, if they wanted to read them.

They CERTAINLY never bought them to collect. And, it would be another decade before anyone took a "later printing" seriously for any book.

That means this book, and others like it, suffered from attrition rates far above normal for the first printings. That, and the metallic, unforgiving ink means that it will be a difficult book to track down in 9.8.

Not rare...there will likely be more 2nd print 361s on the census than first print #301s by the middle of next year...but certainly toughER to find than first prints, for sure.

The fact that it is a second print definitely counts against it...but these days, the mentality of "2nd printing?? EWWWW! Get it awAY from me!!" is long gone.

We shall see.

Maybe I was an aberration, but I grabbed the second prints for my collection when I saw them. Granted I only grabbed one of most, because I didn't think they were going to be valuable, but I wanted it for my collection. (Mainly just the Marvel ones with the metallic ink, though; I didn't think the roman numerals on the DC reprints made them all that desirable, and still don't.)

The DC's generally had different colored logos, or had different cover verbage, starting with Superman #50.

I think the different colored logos were an outstanding idea. Really makes the books look neat next to each other.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

'A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.'

There are a number of examples now where later printings are more desirable. You may end up being right, but I could see things going he other way.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

There are a number of examples now where later printings are more desirable. You may end up being right, but I could see things going he other way.

"Past performance is the best predictor of future success.".

Name one first appearance "key" where a second or subsequent printing is worth more than the first printing (other than the clearly anomalous MOS 18).

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

Name one first appearance "key" where a second or subsequent printing is worth more than the first printing (other than the clearly anomalous MOS 18).

-J.

You've just qualified the argument beyond the parameters that 500 stated.

And why is MOS #18 "clearly anomalous"?

What if "Hush" becomes a very popular character?

Batman #608 second print is worth substantially more than the first.

Nearly 30 years ago, the 2nd print of Adventurers #1 was worth much more, because it was the first appearance of Elf Warrior.

It is not without precedent.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

-J.

Nearly 30 years ago, the 2nd print of Adventurers #1 was worth much more, because it was the first appearance of Elf Warrior.

So that's a "none" from RMA. And there's nothing "qualified" about the comparison at all.

Hush first appeared in batman 609 actually, unless you count his cover appearance on the 608RRP (which I personally do), and that is by far the most valuable book in the run.

MOS 18 is clearly anomalous because it is the only outlier example of a later printing being "worth" more than the first printing, and there is no guarantee that one random exception will even hold over the long term either.

The collector base at large wants first prints. If you like chasing unicorns, trying to prove the world wrong, be my guest. But my gut tells me the more likely scenario is you have a batch of second prints to sell. :shy:

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

-J.

So that's a "none" from RMA. And there's nothing "qualified" about the comparison at all.

Hush first appeared in batman 609 actually, unless you count his cover appearance on the 608RRP (which I personally do), and that is by far the most valuable book in the run.

MOS 18 is clearly anomalous because it is the only outlier example of a later printing being "worth" more than the first printing, and there is no guarantee that one random exception will even hold over the long term either.

The collector base at large wants first prints. If you like chasing unicorns, trying to prove the world wrong, be my guest. But my gut tells me the more likely scenario is you have a batch of second prints to sell. :shy:

-J.

Not a first appearance, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Hulk #377 3rd print here. Much rarer and more expensive than the dollar box status of the 1st and 2nd prints.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

-J.

-J.

Not a first appearance, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Hulk #377 3rd print here. Much rarer and more expensive than the dollar box status of the 1st and 2nd prints.

^^

2nd, 3rd, etc printings are becoming the new RRP of the copper age. The fact that this comic has a market value so close to the 1st printing really speaks for itself.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

-J.

-J.

^^

2nd, 3rd, etc printings are becoming the new RRP of the copper age. The fact that this comic has a market value so close to the 1st printing really speaks for itself.

I think it's silly to discount something like the Man of Steel issue, because there's nothing in particular that's out of the ordinary about that. The Hulk issue, however, was printed years after the first print, which seems to me to be an odd case.

There has been some discussion about one of the Ghost Rider reprints being tough to find in high grade. Does that issue in general command a premium compared to the first print.

Also, not Copper, but some of the new Valiant titles have second prints of the first issue that go for more, especially X-O #1.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

-J.

-J.

...for the reason in bold. The first appearance of carnage is what makes asm 361 relevant and valuable. The second print of that very popular first printing has no relevance beyond its current perception of rarity. However it too had a very sizable print run, and they will find their way to the census if they maintain a modicum of value. Digging up one or two oddball examples out of hundreds or thousands does not make a compelling case for your position.

Again, there is very little in the copper age that is actually "rare". If you want to talk about genuinely rare books, I will meet you over in the GA section. (thumbs u

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

-J.

-J.

^^

I think it's silly to discount something like the Man of Steel issue, because there's nothing in particular that's out of the ordinary about that. The Hulk issue, however, was printed years after the first print, which seems to me to be an odd case.

There has been some discussion about one of the Ghost Rider reprints being tough to find in high grade. Does that issue in general command a premium compared to the first print.

Also, not Copper, but some of the new Valiant titles have second prints of the first issue that go for more, especially X-O #1.

Limiting the discussion to an apples to apples comparison of later printings of the "key" first appearance of a character, MOS 18 is indeed the one and only outlier example that exists of a later printing being worth more at the current time. However, like the ASM 300 chromium that was at one time worth more than the first printing of asm 300, there is no guarantee that will always be the case, particularly if they drop doomsday in one of the movies. In order for a hypothesis to be proven correct, the results need to be repeatable. Citing "one" example out of thousands does more to discount your theory than prove it. Believing that the asm 361 second print will somehow buck history and turn out to be the "second" example is probably more wishful thinking than possibility.

-J.

(thumbs u

-J.

Be careful.

-J.

-J.

^^

Limiting the discussion to an apples to apples comparison of later printings of the "key" first appearance of a character, MOS 18 is indeed the one and only outlier example that exists of a later printing being worth more at the current time. However, like the ASM 300 chromium that was at one time worth more than the first printing of asm 300, there is no guarantee that will always be the case, particularly if they drop doomsday in one of the movies. In order for a hypothesis to be proven correct, the results need to be repeatable. Citing "one" example out of thousands does more to discount your theory than prove it. Believing that the asm 361 second print will somehow buck history and turn out to be the "second" example is probably more wishful thinking than possibility.

-J.

Walking Dead #33 and #34 are also books where the 2nd prints command much higher prices than their first print counterparts. With #33 being a "key"

And although GPA shows them to be about the same, WD #2 second print is more desired amongst WD collectors than the first print would be.

I'd also bet dollars to doughnuts that a Vengeance of Bane 9.8 third print would smoke the GPA price of a 9.8 first print, but alas none exist.

Jim

I think the thing that's being overlooked here, but that we all inherently know, is that it's a bit pointless to try to establish an absolute regarding collecting. In this argument, we're basically dealing with three types of collectors; first appearance hunters, reprint hunters, and completists. Considering that there are different numbers of those types of collectors (and the numbers could be changing all the time), and that each book has its own unique set of characteristics (print run, importance of characters and creators, availability in high grade). Mix all of those factors together and you can cherry pick data to illustrate pretty much any argument, but when you look at everything as a whole you'll see that there aren't going to be any absolutes, especially as collectors enter or leave the market or change their collecting focus.

Oh yeah...Web of Spidey #118, key book, first appearance, the second print will sell across the board in any grade for more than a first print will.

Jim

Thank you for the input Jim. However I am struggling to find any "key first appearances" in any of those walking dead books, or the Web of spiderman book. I will admit to having read none of them, though CGC does not denote any "key" first appearances on any of the labels. So it does not appear these are an apples to apples comparison. 

Whetteon, the GPA numbers are misleading and do not tell the whole story. As of now there are 15-20 copies of asm 361 second printing available, most of them are raw. As additional copies hit the census, the perception of "rarity" will evaporate. Very little in the copper age is "rare". Since this is apparently the only basis for it's value, prices will moderate, if not decline, while the first printing will inevitable march onward and upward. That is history's pattern. I'm an odds man and I like to play them safe. Asm 361 is the "key". It's second printing is an interesting curiosity, at best. If you're an avid collector you'll want both. If you just want the first appearance you'll only want/need the first printing. Most people fall in the latter category.

-J.

I think the thing that's being overlooked here, but that we all inherently know, is that it's a bit pointless to try to establish an absolute regarding collecting. In this argument, we're basically dealing with three types of collectors; first appearance hunters, reprint hunters, and completists. Considering that there are different numbers of those types of collectors (and the numbers could be changing all the time), and that each book has its own unique set of characteristics (print run, importance of characters and creators, availability in high grade). Mix all of those factors together and you can cherry pick data to illustrate pretty much any argument, but when you look at everything as a whole you'll see that there aren't going to be any absolutes, especially as collectors enter or leave the market or change their collecting focus.

+1

This. (thumbs u

-J.