• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

The show is really quite good.

All shows have their issues, especially at the beginning. Most shows are worked on furiously as they begin, attempting to make them stronger. This is so with the writing, as well as the acting. It takes a while for the actors to begin to truly inhabit their characters, and for the writers to find the truest voices for the characters. When those things do come together, that's when sparks really start to fly.

This show is already pretty creative, and often in surprising ways. It will likely (hopefully) continue doing that.

To those that think it lacks direction, I feel the opposite - it is building momentum slowly (and occasionally not so slowly), and definitely seems to be going somewhere solid.

I didn't get a chance to watch Episode #3 yet. But I think you all have done a good job of filling me in.

Thanks!

:P

Just caught up with three. Pretty good episode.

(thumbs u

I'm still liking it.

And Nick lol I refused to look at this thread until I am caught up. Too many potential spoilers.

I almost didn't notice that Channel 5 over here in the UK is showing the series. doh! First episode next week. (thumbs u

I didn't get a chance to watch Episode #3 yet. But I think you all have done a good job of filling me in.

Thanks!

(thumbs u

I'm still liking it.

And Nick lol I refused to look at this thread until I am caught up. Too many potential spoilers.

(worship)

I should know better.

lol

I still have not seen Episode 3. On-Demand didn't have it posted yet. Though I wonder if the Fox site has it listed now as a full episode at its site.

Thanks!

(thumbs u

I'm still liking it.

(worship)

I should know better.

lol

I still have not seen Episode 3. On-Demand didn't have it posted yet. Though I wonder if the Fox site has it listed now as a full episode at its site.

Yes - I watched it on fox.com yesterday.

Just watched the first episode. definitely not in the league of Arrow, but it was decent. the only thing that really bothered me was Bullock telling Jim that they'd lose their jobs if it was revealed that Pepper was framed. Pepper was about to murder Jim, so Bullock had to shoot him.

Edited by Hawkman

Yes - I watched it on fox.com yesterday.

Saw it tonight. Not a bad episode.

1) Someone was going to extremes to destroy evil people across Gotham.

2) What triggered his hate was the collection of the children from the earlier episode. So seeing Gotham's children being treated as cattle was the snapping of the straw.

3) Ballonman was just some silly name assigned to him by the press I believe. He never calls himself that.

4) Cobblepot, Catwoman and Gordon are the real standout characters. Bruce Wayne needs to be in the background, learning from his experiences as he watches others take action.

I get the feeling some just want to find a reason to dislike this show.

I'm liking the show but I really can't stand some of the corniness in there. That feels campy to me. I'd like the show to get more serious and cut the comedy. I've never liked a drama with a comedic overtone. That is why I like Walking Dead so much, it is dead serious, no cornball humor.

I thought the pilot had some weird music in it.

It's a great time for a comic fan

flash, gotham walking dead

Plus if I don't like the adaptations I've got the comics

What's there to complain about?

Anyone have any thoughts on the timeline of this show? The pacing? Where it fits in the Batman mythos?

Judging from baby Bruce it's roughly a decade out. And ten years seems like an extremely long time for as corrupt as they're already portraying Gotham.

Instead of developing the level of corruption slowly, to a fever pitch as the show runs through several seasons, it's like James Gordon is going to be out there all by his lonesome for a while. And if they go the vigilante-of-the-week route, by the time The Batman would appear vigilantes would be really old news. Tough to "strike fear" if your the last guy in a decade-long parade.

Anyone have any thoughts on the timeline of this show? The pacing? Where it fits in the Batman mythos?

Judging from baby Bruce it's roughly a decade out. And ten years seems like an extremely long time for as corrupt as they're already portraying Gotham.

Instead of developing the level of corruption slowly, to a fever pitch as the show runs through several seasons, it's like James Gordon is going to be out there all by his lonesome for a while. And if they go the vigilante-of-the-week route, by the time The Batman would appear vigilantes would be really old news. Tough to "strike fear" if your the last guy in a decade-long parade.

I actually was thinking about this as well. I think from his current age he is probably slightly longer than a decade from becoming Batman. I think they are going to have to fast forward a bit at some point, with an emphasis on Gordon moving up ranks in the GCPD. Watching Gordon deal with what is a laughably corrupt Gotham he can't do much about day in and day out is going to become tiresome.

I am really curious what kind of direction they have planned for the show. The way it currently sits it is going to become stale quickly.

Watched all 3

kickasstorrents has them online now.

Great start and loving it so far.

Nice to see the Penguin being a monster. Selina Kyle and James Gordon the other standouts.

Nice gritty 'popcorn' show.

9/10 from me (FWIW)

Jada chews up too much scenery for me. I cringe when she's acting up.

She is by far the worst part of the show. I can't tell if she's intentionally trying to be like Eartha Kitt's Catwoman (seriously, I can't be the only one who see's this..) or if she has no idea what to do in the role. I have a feeling her character is going to die though.

The Penguin is great. I wish we could get more Riddler though. All in all I'm enjoying the show.

Jada chews up too much scenery for me. I cringe when she's acting up.

She is by far the worst part of the show. I can't tell if she's intentionally trying to be like Eartha Kitt's Catwoman (seriously, I can't be the only one who see's this..) or if she has no idea what to do in the role. I have a feeling her character is going to die though.

The Penguin is great. I wish we could get more Riddler though. All in all I'm enjoying the show.

I had thought that too as she does remind me of Kitt.

And yes, I said earlier that they are cultivating the Penguin into an A+ villain. He has had laughable incarnations in the past and has never been one of my favorite of Bat's characters but he is being shown as a worthy opponent.

So far so good.

she's intentionally trying to be like Eartha Kitt's Catwoman (seriously, I can't be the only one who see's this..)

You're not. :)

I noticed that right away.

Ditto.

I thought I was the only one