• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

There were several elements worthy of discussion, but... no spoilers for those that haven't seen #3 yet.

Not saying who delivered it: "Drop it! Drop it or I'll shoot!" :facepalm:

It's hard to imagine a group of professional writers letting a worn out cliché like that slide. I mean they just landed a brand new job and it's frikin' Gotham, not 77 Sunset Strip. Unbelievable.

What year does this show take place, noticed the scene where Gordon was looking for the killer, everyone had typewriter s in front of them, then I started to notice the cars

“It’s a mash-up, to use the modern phrase,” Heller said. “If today Batman exists, then this world is the past. But it’s everybody’s past, an 18-year-old’s past and a 54-year-old’s past. So in your memory, the past is all mashed up together. So in this Gotham, it’s a kind of timeless world. It’s yesterday, it’s today, and it’s tomorrow all at the same time, because that’s the world that dreams live in.”

What year does this show take place, noticed the scene where Gordon was looking for the killer, everyone had typewriter s in front of them, then I started to notice the cars

“It’s a mash-up, to use the modern phrase,” Heller said. “If today Batman exists, then this world is the past. But it’s everybody’s past, an 18-year-old’s past and a 54-year-old’s past. So in your memory, the past is all mashed up together. So in this Gotham, it’s a kind of timeless world. It’s yesterday, it’s today, and it’s tomorrow all at the same time, because that’s the world that dreams live in.”

Interesting. So they are trying to craft it in a way a longing for the 'good old days' plays into the show bond.

Makes sense. They're doing it with the dialog as well. Some of it is cliche (like the "drop it or I'll shoot" line), but it appears intentional - rather than lazy or bad writing. Go back and watch the scene with the weather balloon factory owner (IIRC). That was straight out of an Edward G. Robinson or other 40's/50s crime drama. Anachronism, sure. But I like it.

it is definitely growing on me. Last night's episode was good. I am wondering who the girl singer is meant to be.... Harley perhaps?

I sat up and took notice when she sang the Echo And The Bunnymen title song from their 1984 LP, Ocean Rain

Edited by tabcom

The Penguin/Cobblepot just steals the show every time he is in a scene.

By far the biggest surprise.

I know - it's amazing how he grows on you. He's got the best "villain" part of the whole show, I like what they are doing with him.

I don't know much about the Bat universe, but I like the potential behind the idea of the singer being Harley Quinn - not so much as being accurate, but I think that her presence on the show could be the "Joker" element. Gotham clearly plays fast and loose with the timline, so maybe...

Any other suggestions who the singer might turn out to be? Or maybe she's just a creation of the show - Fish Mooney is exclusive to the show, right? She doesn't exist in the comics does she?

I know - it's amazing how he grows on you. He's got the best "villain" part of the whole show, I like what they are doing with him.

I don't know much about the Bat universe, but I like the potential behind the idea of the singer being Harley Quinn - not so much as being accurate, but I think that her presence on the show could be the "Joker" element. Gotham clearly plays fast and loose with the timline, so maybe...

Any other suggestions who the singer might turn out to be? Or maybe she's just a creation of the show - Fish Mooney is exclusive to the show, right? She doesn't exist in the comics does she?

I don't know, I have always thought of Harley as being younger.

There were several elements worthy of discussion, but... no spoilers for those that haven't seen #3 yet.

Not saying who delivered it: "Drop it! Drop it or I'll shoot!" :facepalm:

It's hard to imagine a group of professional writers letting a worn out cliché like that slide. I mean they just landed a brand new job and it's frikin' Gotham, not 77 Sunset Strip. Unbelievable.

Third week of me really wanting to like it. Third week of me not liking it.

The actors don't look natural, Gordon has a frozen face with little expression, Bruce Wayne is just hard for me to believe and that "Drop it" line made me and Louise look at each other and roll our eyes. :facepalm:

I'll give it a few more shows but count me as the show is moving too fast and not well written.

Would be amazeballs if they reveal the singer to be Harley. Harley hasn't been in any non-animated TV show/movie right???

Looks like the actress is Makenzie Leigh...although virtually no info about her online.

With it's current timeline, the singer being Harley would be way off. Bruce and Selina are kids now, and I've always thought of Harley Quinn to be much younger than those two.

it is definitely growing on me. Last night's episode was good. I am wondering who the girl singer is meant to be.... Harley perhaps?

I sat up and took notice when she sang the Echo And The Bunnymen title song from their 1984 LP, Ocean Rain

It was "Spellbound" by Souxsie and the Banshees.