• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

I kind of liked the balloon man. What a miserable way to go... handcuffed to a weather balloon, helpless to do anything and just hanging in the air. Yikes. :fear:

One scene was a little :facepalm: - at the end when the balloon man was cuffed and was floating away and Gordon jumped onto him they were really high up and then the balloon is shot and suddenly they're like 10 feet in the air. :D

I liked this episode a lot though. Good stuff.

Just watched #2. I'm out.

Over acted and uninteresting. Penguin was actually the best part. What a shame, such a cool premise but a terrible cast and writing.

Last night I watched 1, 2 and the beginning of 3 (fell asleep. Balloonman? really?) Overall it seems like a directionless mess. Harvey Bullock retcons to Lt. Eckhardt from the '89 movie? Zero redeeming qualities. And Alfred? Wow.

The main question that kept creeping up is "where is this going?". This morning I thought maybe the official one-sentence blurb would clear that up...

"GOTHAM is an origin story of the great DC Comics super villains and vigilantes, revealing an entirely new chapter that has never been told."

Or not.

Is it soap opera, a thriller, a police procedural? Who knows. I kept thinking if every other character is a sociopath it's going to meander all over the map, becoming dull and pointless.

The most interesting character was Gordon's girlfriend Barbara. She stole whatever scene she was in, short-lived bright spots in an otherwise muddy tale.

Erin+Richards+Gotham+Zip+Line+Comic+Con+Comic+O8XzHeZyiPhl.jpg

It was weird the second victim was called Cranston and in that scene the killer looked like the Shadow

I thought the same thing!

Kind of like Alfred, he doesn't fit the mold, but he's younger than he was when we meet him in the books.

I like Gordon, but I'm waiting to see if the show comes together, right now I'm not sure.

I've loved Arrow except for the flashbacks, I figure this one needs a little time, but it's not on the top of my list.

It is interesting to read reviews on here. Especially when it comes to what content strikes a positive or negative note with an individual. Yet the same negative or positive will have an opposing view from someone else seeing things the opposite.

It has to be a tough business to compete in when it comes to the entertainment industry. You have to pick your battles which part of the audience you are going after with a production. Otherwise, you are all over the place trying to appease everyone.

Good grief. Barbara is one of the characters I like the least. And the backstory to her character introduced in episode 3..... :facepalm:

Haven't got to her backstory yet. They mess her character up too?

What I thought made her interesting was she's not his wife...yet. It could still go either way. And the moment she heard a rumor he was corrupt she was in his face.

Every other character is a murderer, corrupt official, street thief, serial killer, insane person, gang stooge, crime lord, or Alfred. So at least Barbara showed a little mini-heroism in a tale that's ultimately supposed to be about heroics.

It was weird the second victim was called Cranston and in that scene the killer looked like the Shadow

I noticed the Shadow resemblance but missed the Cranston reference. Good catch (thumbs u

Good grief. Barbara is one of the characters I like the least. And the backstory to her character introduced in episode 3..... :facepalm:

Agreed, Barbara is a throw-away character, reminds me of any of the characters (except Coulson and Mae) in MAOS. I suppose at some point a few seasons from now Barbara and Gordon will have a baby girl named . . .

I don't know why all the criticism over Gotham. I would grade it 7.5. I mean, compare it to MAOS (1.5 PLOD) and Arrow (2.5 meh) ...

What I thought made her interesting was she's not his wife...yet. It could still go either way. And the moment she heard a rumor he was corrupt she was in his face.

Every other character is a murderer, corrupt official, assassin, street thief, serial killer, insane person, gang stooge, crime lord, or Alfred. So at least Barbara showed a little mini-heroism in a tale that's ultimately supposed to be about heroics.

re: backstory: Maybe I mis-interpreted something but are they saying Barbara and the Police woman had a relationship? So... Barbara was a lesbian?

And my favorite character on the show is Selina. She has just the right amount of attitude, and I can't help but like her.

The show's a little hokey but still worth tuning in.

Maybe a little more than a little - I mean the scene where Cumberpots arrives in Gotham and we see rampant crime happening everywhere, was a little cheesy - but it's entertaining and I'm hanging in there.

I noticed the Shadow resemblance but missed the Cranston reference. Good catch (thumbs u

It was a cool move. Kane/Finger were influenced by The Shadow when they created Batman. Wayne is influenced by this Shadow-like figure in the early stages of becoming Batman.

Meta. :luhv:

Every other character is a murderer, corrupt official, assassin, street thief, serial killer, insane person, gang stooge, crime lord, or Alfred. So at least Barbara showed a little mini-heroism in a tale that's ultimately supposed to be about heroics.

re: backstory: Maybe I mis-interpreted something but are they saying Barbara and the Police woman had a relationship? So... Barbara was a lesbian?

And my favorite character on the show is Selina. She has just the right amount of attitude, and I can't help but like her.

Is that it? A lesbian backstory? If so that may be the least shocking thing in the show. These days it goes without saying writers will slip in pc elements. Almost a requirement. It's probably safe to assume every character on the show is potentially bi or gay at some point. No big deal.

On the otherhand Gordon pretended to shoot an unarmed man in the back of the head. Instead of pistol-whipping Bullock the moment he suggested it, then cuffing his sorry butt.

How does a character come back from that? Being responsible for both a murderous cop remaining on the force and a serial killer roaming at will? As sorry stakes go, Gordon's bad karma shot right through the roof.