• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

Good grief. Barbara is one of the characters I like the least. And the backstory to her character introduced in episode 3..... :facepalm:

Haven't got to her backstory yet. They mess her character up too?

What I thought made her interesting was she's not his wife...yet. It could still go either way. And the moment she heard a rumor he was corrupt she was in his face.

Every other character is a murderer, corrupt official, assassin, street thief, serial killer, insane person, gang stooge, crime lord, or Alfred. So at least Barbara showed a little mini-heroism in a tale that's ultimately supposed to be about heroics.

re: backstory: Maybe I mis-interpreted something but are they saying Barbara and the Police woman had a relationship? So... Barbara was a lesbian?

And my favorite character on the show is Selina. She has just the right amount of attitude, and I can't help but like her.

My son thought maybe a college-fling. hm

I don't know why all the criticism over Gotham. I would grade it 7.5. I mean, compare it to MAOS (1.5 PLOD) and Arrow (2.5 meh) ...

+1

I could not get into the few episodes of Arrow I watched until I caught one with Deathstroke and Brother Blood during the summer. I might start tuning in now as he is a great villain for the show.

MAOS bites big time. I stopped watching it after episode 3 or 4 and have not tuned back in.

Gotham has better potential than both IMHO as it is really just another Police/Law & Order/NCIS type show at its roots. The benefit it has, though, is that the characters and storyline are already well established.

Edited by kimik

I'm happy with Gotham.

+1. Much better than a lot of the other krap on tv right now.

I could start throwing darts at it, but why, when I'm happy with it?

Good grief. Barbara is one of the characters I like the least. And the backstory to her character introduced in episode 3..... :facepalm:

Haven't got to her backstory yet. They mess her character up too?

What I thought made her interesting was she's not his wife...yet. It could still go either way. And the moment she heard a rumor he was corrupt she was in his face.

Every other character is a murderer, corrupt official, assassin, street thief, serial killer, insane person, gang stooge, crime lord, or Alfred. So at least Barbara showed a little mini-heroism in a tale that's ultimately supposed to be about heroics.

re: backstory: Maybe I mis-interpreted something but are they saying Barbara and the Police woman had a relationship? So... Barbara was a lesbian?

And my favorite character on the show is Selina. She has just the right amount of attitude, and I can't help but like her.

Is that it? A lesbian backstory? If so that may be the least shocking thing in the show. These days it goes without saying writers will slip in pc elements. Almost a requirement. It's probably safe to assume every character on the show is potentially bi or gay at some point. No big deal.

On the otherhand Gordon pretended to shoot an unarmed man in the back of the head. Instead of pistol-whipping Bullock the moment he suggested it, then cuffing his sorry butt.

How does a character come back from that? Being responsible for both a murderous cop remaining on the force and a serial killer roaming at will? As sorry stakes go, Gordon's bad karma shot right through the roof.

The whole city is corrupt. I like the way Gordon is handling that realization. Sometimes ya gotta bend the rules to stay in the game.

I still see his character as having a solid moral compass.

I could not stand the lack of basic science in the balloon-man episode. As someone with the part time hobby of launching weather balloons for atmospheric experiments it was completely cringe worthy.

oNObxMf.gif

I just feel like the show is more about the Penguin coming to power, than about anything else. Which isn't a bad thing. I still enjoy the show. I just wish they will choose a direction. (as someone mentioned earlier in this thread)

The series is "OK" for me. Hasn't blown me over, but it's not bad either. The blasphemy here is that anything dealing with Batman should not be mediocre it appears. :)

As far as the complaints about Bullock being corrupt and so unlikable here, I believe that's intentional. His story arc as the series progress is supposed to be about redemption and becoming the Bullock we all expect in the comics. He has to start off this way for the series to work, at least for this character any way.

As far as the Barbara and Montoya arc goes, that felt a bit forced to me. Not sure if it was really necessary to go this way for the series. Unless of course, they're looking to play the "hot lesbian sex" angle if the ratings start to tank.

The series is "OK" for me. Hasn't blown me over, but it's not bad either. The blasphemy here is that anything dealing with Batman should not be mediocre it appears. :)

As far as the complaints about Bullock being corrupt and so unlikable here, I believe that's intentional. His story arc as the series progress is supposed to be about redemption and becoming the Bullock we all expect in the comics. He has to start off this way for the series to work, at least for this character any way.

As far as the Barbara and Montoya arc goes, that felt a bit forced to me. Not sure if it was really necessary to go this way for the series. Unless of course, they're looking to play the "hot lesbian sex" angle if the ratings start to tank.

Just as long as the Penguin doesn't jump in.

I just feel like the show is more about the Penguin coming to power, than about anything else. Which isn't a bad thing. I still enjoy the show. I just wish they will choose a direction. (as someone mentioned earlier in this thread)

For me, it's about Gordon's story and Penguin's story. The rest is incidental. Looking at it that way, it's pretty enjoyable.

For me, it's about Gordon's story and Penguin's story. The rest is incidental. Looking at it that way, it's pretty enjoyable.

+2 Maybe Bruce Wayne, too.

I guess the Penguin character is standing out to me more than Gordon right now.

Yeah, most definitely. Whoever that actor is, they're lucky they found him. He does a good job of keep an over-the-top character grounded and interesting.

+2 Maybe Bruce Wayne, too.

There's not much Bruce in the show, which is just as well as I'd have trouble taking a brooding 10 year old too seriously.