• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

Sopranos peaked half way through it's run, stumbled in the back half, and limped across the finish line. Lame ending.

Breaking Bad got better each season...each season ending in a better conclusion until it's last eight episodes, some of the best television ever, culminating into one of the best series finales ever (and a perfect song for it). A perfect 5 seasons.

Sopranos will always be the critical darling, but the truth of it is... almost half the series is just ok.

Although I agree the Sopranos ending was weak (it was no 'Breaking Bad' with that :grin: ), much of its run was very well crafted.

Tony as a character went from a low to a high, and then back down again as the government got smarter how to tap into his operations.

In November and December 2009, a large number of television critics named The Sopranos the best series of the decade and all time in articles summarizing the decade in television. In numbered lists over the best television programs, The Sopranos frequently ranked first or second, almost always competing with The Wire. In 2013, TV Guide ranked The Sopranos No. 2 in its list of The 60 Greatest Dramas of All Time, In the same year, the Writers Guild of America named it the best-written television series of all time and TV Guide ranked it as the greatest show of all time.

If the show went downhill after the first few seasons, why were critics and viewers so high on its overall story? Most probably because it had a strong running for most of its Six Seasons.

We all have shows we can appreciate more than others. That's the benefit of so many channels - so many options.

Sopranos peaked half way through it's run, stumbled in the back half, and limped across the finish line. Lame ending.

Breaking Bad got better each season...each season ending in a better conclusion until it's last eight episodes, some of the best television ever, culminating into one of the best series finales ever (and a perfect song for it). A perfect 5 seasons.

Sopranos will always be the critical darling, but the truth of it is... almost half the series is just ok.

Although I agree the Sopranos ending was weak (it was no 'Breaking Bad' with that :grin: ), much of its run was very well crafted.

Tony as a character went from a low to a high, and then back down again as the government got smarter how to tap into his operations.

In November and December 2009, a large number of television critics named The Sopranos the best series of the decade and all time in articles summarizing the decade in television. In numbered lists over the best television programs, The Sopranos frequently ranked first or second, almost always competing with The Wire. In 2013, TV Guide ranked The Sopranos No. 2 in its list of The 60 Greatest Dramas of All Time, In the same year, the Writers Guild of America named it the best-written television series of all time and TV Guide ranked it as the greatest show of all time.

If the show went downhill after the first few seasons, why were critics and viewers so high on its overall story? Most probably because it had a strong running for most of its Six Seasons.

We all have shows we can appreciate more than others. That's the benefit of so many channels - so many options.

I would never question it as one of the greatest series of all time....

but, Seasons 4,5, and 6 were ok, and the ending was lame. lol

I would never question it as one of the greatest series of all time....

but, Seasons 4,5, and 6 were ok, and the ending was lame. lol

The ending was lame. It was like the producers just threw something together while running off to the next gig just to fulfill their contract. What a shame.

The good thing is there are many people that found gold mixed within Seasons 4, 5 and 6. It just wasn't your cup of chai.

;)

I agree the first 3 seasons were better but the latter had Ralphie who was great and Johnny Sac was perfect. Season 6 had one of my favorite scenes where Tony curbstomps Coco for scaring Meadow, he was one scary dude when he had to be. Steve Buscemi was a letdown though, had high hopes for him.

Breaking bad is a better all around show from start to finish.

all these TV superhero shows are very limited, and a guilty pleasure for us starved comics fans. But as "art" or "film" or great TV shows like Thrones, Breaking Bad, etc, theres no comparison. But SHOULD there be? They are both aiming at different goals. I liked Arrow last year when I was binge watching, the small bites of fun came a lot faster. But waiting a week for each show now is feeling less like must see TV. But still watchable to see where they go and what characters they will introduce.

Exactly. These superhero TV shows are like the superhero movies. Does Avengers or Iron Man 3 come close to the level of a movie like The Godfather? No, it is just a fun movie. Just like these superhero TV shows.

Expecting a superhero TV show to be like Breaking Bad is just :insane: We don't expect it of the superhero movies, so why do we expect it from the superhero TV shows? (shrug)

4vibak.jpg

The best shows right now are Game of Thrones and Vikings. :cloud9:

all these TV superhero shows are very limited, and a guilty pleasure for us starved comics fans. But as "art" or "film" or great TV shows like Thrones, Breaking Bad, etc, theres no comparison. But SHOULD there be? They are both aiming at different goals. I liked Arrow last year when I was binge watching, the small bites of fun came a lot faster. But waiting a week for each show now is feeling less like must see TV. But still watchable to see where they go and what characters they will introduce.

Exactly. These superhero TV shows are like the superhero movies. Does Avengers or Iron Man 3 come close to the level of a movie like The Godfather? No, it is just a fun movie. Just like these superhero TV shows.

Expecting a superhero TV show to be like Breaking Bad is just :insane: We don't expect it of the superhero movies, so why do we expect it from the superhero TV shows? (shrug)

4vibak.jpg

Do you like movies about gladiators?

4vibak.jpg

Do you like movies about gladiators?

:hi:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I agree the first 3 seasons were better but the latter had Ralphie who was great and Johnny Sac was perfect. Season 6 had one of my favorite scenes where Tony curbstomps Coco for scaring Meadow, he was one scary dude when he had to be. Steve Buscemi was a letdown though, had high hopes for him.

Breaking Bad is better than the Wire- there, it's been said.

Edited by paperheart

The Wire is the critics' darling. I liked the first couple seasons but did find it kind of slow. Except when Omar made an appearance.

The Wire is the critics' darling. I liked the first couple seasons but did find it kind of slow. Except when Omar made an appearance.

the Wire was terrific but ended with a thud. Season 5 wasn't very good. Breaking Bad built from greatness to an unparalleled finale.

GOTHAM Showrunner Says Killing Off Established DC Characters Is Not Out Of The Question

----------------------

"I wouldn’t say it’s iron clad. You’d need a damn good reason to do it and a damn good end game to justify it. We’re certainly just learning the ropes at this stage. Not to be modest about it, but we’re still learning how to do a show this big. I’m always deeply reluctant to kill off characters simply for the shock value of killing them off. I’m not averse to cheap tricks. But apart from anything else, this season literally every actor has come through and [performed really strong]. I would hate to lose any of them. Killing off Sean Bean in the first season of Game of Thrones made everyone go, “Oh, what a good idea that is!” But I don’t think it’s a good idea if you’ve got Sean Bean. The bad one was on Deadwood, when they had David Carradine doing that marvelous Wild Bill Hickok, and then he was gone."

----------------------

GOTHAM Showrunner Says Killing Off Established DC Characters Is Not Out Of The Question

----------------------

Killing off Sean Bean in the first season of Game of Thrones made everyone go, “Oh, what a good idea that is!” But I don’t think it’s a good idea if you’ve got Sean Bean.

----------------------

ThatIsWhyYouFail-2.jpg

ThatIsWhyYouFail-2.jpg

lol

I do agree. The main character's death in GoT is what helps kick off the entire war of kings. You can't keep him around just because you like the way the actor delivers.

Yeah, what this quote does is confirm what my eyes were all ready telling me -- that this show is all about style and no substance. The creators are clueless about storytelling and have no real coherent vision. They're just making it up as they go along, throwing stuff up on the wall to see what sticks. But mostly what they're throwing up is smoke and mirrors.

Edited by Theagenes

Isn't Renee Montoya a lesbian in the comics?

Correct!

The show is just representing the character the way she was created.

Renee Montoya

Why did anyone think this was a plot twist to take viewer minds off a weak -script?

Yeah it is being represented correctly... But, with a supporting cast member like Barbara Gordon?