• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gotham
3 3

1,832 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE: Bruno Heller Confirms Court of Owls for Gotham

In that vein, I asked, well, what about the theory that the Galavan siblings’ long history in Gotham means the Court of Owls is coming, or is that at least something he’s interested in exploring?

“Yeah, absolutely, [i'm interested]. I won’t say that it’s part of – I don’t even want to say that, because I don’t want to spoil part of the story,” Heller said after a bit of a chuckle. He continued, “The Court of Owls is deep, deep, deep Gotham mythology. The comic book fans know about it, but I would suspect the larger audience is not so familiar. We sometimes have to make a distinction between the ‘Nolan-era Batman movie fans’ and the comic book fans. It’s not that they’re two separate audiences, just that there are two levels of engagement. Court of Owls is very much deep DC mythology.

“We are absolutely going to explore that world down the line. Looking at the longevity of the show, we have to hold some cards back, we can’t just throw all of the elements, all of the story at once,” he explained - he even noted earlier during the conversation that he felt they made a mistake trying to throw too much into season one. Heller didn’t mince words, though, and did say definitively, “The long arc of the show is Bruce Wayne’s journey of discovery down into the depths of the physical and meta-physical world of Gotham. The Court of Owls is a brilliant conceit that will absolutely be part of our storytelling. I just won’t tell you when.”

I enjoy the show, but the writers' moral compass is a little off.

In this episode you had Bruce lecture Gordon that "the ends justify the means". Gordon is persuaded, and has Penguin brutally murder at least one innocent man in order to get his job back so that he can do 'good works'.

I don't believe any comicbook hero of Bruce's stature should ever... EVER... suggest that that is OK. This isn't Spiderman agonizing over stealing a solid gold notebook or something, this is one of the two greatest comicbook heroes of all time saying that it's OK to commit an atrocity if you reckon, on balance, that it'll help you prevent more atrocities in future. Rubbish.

It's a fun series though. Funnily enough my favourite scenes are those involving young Bruce and Alfred.

In this episode you had Bruce lecture Gordon that "the ends justify the means". Gordon is persuaded, and has Penguin brutally murder at least one innocent man in order to get his job back so that he can do 'good works'.

I don't believe any comicbook hero of Bruce's stature should ever... EVER... suggest that that is OK. This isn't Spiderman agonizing over stealing a solid gold notebook or something, this is one of the two greatest comicbook heroes of all time saying that it's OK to commit an atrocity if you reckon, on balance, that it'll help you prevent more atrocities in future. Rubbish.

It's a fun series though. Funnily enough my favourite scenes are those involving young Bruce and Alfred.

I got the chance to watch it last night.

I liked this episode, because it at least was consistent how twisted things are across Gotham prior to an aggressive savior such as Batman. A horrible place to live!

But what concerned me is how Jim Gordon was handled. He is supposed to be the uncompromising, consistent hero that unfortunately stands alone for years before Batman steps out from the shadows. Either they are going to use his actions from the Season 2 premiere to drive his efforts further so as never to be put in that situation again, or that the guilt is what eats away at him where he even needs a Batman to inspire him again.

Bruce's statement to him are the words of an inexperienced child. I hope that was what they were going after with the discussion between him and Jim Gordon. Especially with Alfred telling him he is speaking as a child with no worldly direct knowledge yet.

I liked this episode, because it at least was consistent how twisted things are across Gotham prior to an aggressive savior such as Batman. A horrible place to live!

But what concerned me is how Jim Gordon was handled. He is supposed to be the uncompromising, consistent hero that unfortunately stands alone for years before Batman steps out from the shadows. Either they are going to use his actions from the Season 2 premiere to drive his efforts further so as never to be put in that situation again, or that the guilt is what eats away at him where he even needs a Batman to inspire him again.

Bruce's statement to him are the words of an inexperienced child. I hope that was what they were going after with the discussion between him and Jim Gordon. Especially with Alfred telling him he is speaking as a child with no worldly direct knowledge yet.

Yes, good points. And you can excuse Bruce by arguing it is his immaturity and anger, since Gordon is talking about being unable to continue the pursuit of his parents' murderer.

Yes, good points. And you can excuse Bruce by arguing it is his immaturity and anger, since Gordon is talking about being unable to continue the pursuit of his parents' murderer.

..... sometimes a good person can make a bad decision.... perhaps this is part of orienting the moral compass. Alfred is easily my favorite factor in the show.... and his expanded role just makes so much sense. It would pay for the elder Wayne to have selected a manservant with "skills"...... a combo Butler/ Bodyguard should the need arise. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... sometimes a good person can make a bad decision.... perhaps this is part of orienting the moral compass. Alfred is easily my favorite factor in the show.... and his expanded role just makes so much sense. It would pay for the elder Wayne to have selected a manservant with "skills"...... a combo Butler/ Bodyguard should the need arise. GOD BLESS...

its actually VERY common for butlers in England to have had military experience, as it often instills some very venerable qualities, like loyalty, honor, discipline, obedience, aside from the obvious physicality, toughness, and whatever actual skills they get from their military job.

I'm not sure why

Barbara Kean is now a homicidal maniac? Did I miss something in the books?

I gave up trying to follow any story line from any book in anything on the big or small screen. But, what an interesting way to increase the value of any Joker's Daughter books. :D

This was a great way to open the season. Bruce and Alfred are both brilliantly cast. I agree the moral compass conversation has more to do with Bruce still growing up. And we know from the comics that Jim has personal struggles from time to time - it makes sense that was rooted in some questionable choices with unknown consequences in his younger career.

As to Barb - I think we're going to find out she's not actually who she says she is... she is demonstrating some dual personality and is becoming friendly with Joker...

Oh Jim. What were you thinking?

Morena Baccarin Is Having A Baby With Gotham Co-Star Ben McKenzie!

Reps for both Morena Baccarin (Deadpool) and Ben McKenzie (The O.C.) have confirmed to US Magazine that the actress is pregnant with her Gotham co-star's baby.

Baccarin, 36, and McKenzie, 37, play onscreen couple Dr. Leslie "Lee" Thompkin (Morena Baccarin) and Jim Gordon (Ben McKenzie), respectively, on Fox's comic book-based television series, Gotham.

This summer, Baccarin filed for divorce from Austin Chick, who she married back in 2011 and had her first child with in October of 2013. According to TMZ, Baccarin filed for joint custody of their 23-month-old son Julius and wants Chick "to move from L.A. to New York where she films the show" because in the near future her pregnancy will prevent her from boarding a plane "to pick up and deliver their son."

:ohnoez:

It was the locker scene. It had to have been the locker scene.

Finally got to watch the episode. In season 1 they took some "aggressive" liberties with the Batman mythos. In season 2 they have apparently started to absolutely mess on it.

I am kind of shocked, with Batman being DC's golden goose, and with one of the most fleshed out and well known backstories with a fairly solid continuity(compared to many others anyways) that they have allowed the show to go so far away from the source material.

It is so far removed at this point it is ridiculous.

I like show all in all and will continue to watch it, but I will just have to imagine this occurred on Earth 21982449 because this certainly isn't anything remotely close to Earth 1 Batman's backstory.

With the way DC has protected the character in the past I really can't believe they OKed the -script of this show.

Finally got to watch the episode. In season 1 they took some "aggressive" liberties with the Batman mythos. In season 2 they have apparently started to absolutely mess on it.

I am kind of shocked, with Batman being DC's golden goose, and with one of the most fleshed out and well known backstories with a fairly solid continuity(compared to many others anyways) that they have allowed the show to go so far away from the source material.

It is so far removed at this point it is ridiculous.

I like show all in all and will continue to watch it, but I will just have to imagine this occurred on Earth 21982449 because this certainly isn't anything remotely close to Earth 1 Batman's backstory.

With the way DC has protected the character in the past I really can't believe they OKed the -script of this show.

It's a bit like gothic Smallville really. To be fair, if they didn't play havoc with the continuity they would be hard pressed to have anything interesting to do with young Bruce.

its actually VERY common for butlers in England to have had military experience, as it often instills some very venerable qualities, like loyalty, honor, discipline, obedience, aside from the obvious physicality, toughness, and whatever actual skills they get from their military job.

There is some precedence for this in the comics for example the Batman: Earth One hardcover

The trend to "superhero-fy" every non-powered supporting character in comics is a trend I generally don't appreciate.