• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 300 Test Your Grading Skills Against CGC

42 posts in this topic

I have 3 copies of ASM 300 coming back from CGC early next week. Let's see what you guys think. No prizes to be awarded but you get bragging rights if you nail them. I know the grades but I do not know which copy got which grade, so I will post results Monday or Tuesday when I have the books back.

I know what I graded them and which one I think got which CGC grade and I will post that as well before I open the box.

Copy A

asm300_copyA_fc_zps1922a63f.jpg

asm300_copyA_bc_zpsc951ba47.jpg

Copy B

asm300_copyB_fc_zps0473c7e2.jpg

asm300_copyB_bc_zps6846512c.jpg

Copy C

asm300_copyC_fc_zpsbd4619ff.jpg

asm300_copyC_bc_zps92323676.jpg

Copy A 9.0

Copy B 8.5

Copy C 9.4

Copy B is tough for me, as I don't know how CGC will treat the rubbed areas on the back. I went with some leniency.

It's very hard to differentiate the 9.X grades with scans this size.

A. 9.4

B. 9.2

C. 9.6

The only reason I graded these so high is because to me it seems like CGC has become very lenient with this particular Comic.

I would normally grade these issues at:

A. 8.5

B. 8.0

C. 9.4

I'm a really big fan of this Comic and I've purchased 6 CGC 9.6's within the past 3 months and I returned 5 of them because they all had color breaking spine ticks, corner dings, non color breaking creases, all of these flaws were really visible from outside the slab.

2 of them had at least a 1/4" color breaking spine crease on them and one of the 2 had a color breaking corner ding on the back cover.

One thing I noticed on all 5 of the ones I returned they were all graded within the last 4 months. The only 9.6 that I didn't send back it was graded back in 2004.

Again, this is just my opinion but I feel like CGC has become extremely lenient with this Comic.