• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

I saw it last night. It wasn't as bad as I was anticipating going in, but it's no where near the quality of the Disney/Marvel movies. I keep reading in interviews a lot of scenes that filled in more character development was cut, so maybe the BluRay will have all those available to plug back in. I don't like the fact that Oscorp is the source of Spider-Man's entire rogues gallery now though.

The "sad" thing about this is that the reboot was NOT needed AT ALL. Having seen ASM 1 I am very much convinced of this. What I am hearing about ASM II does not leave me with good feelings.

They could have picked up from ASM 3 ended. They could have "righted the ship" with Spidey 4, bought it back down a notch, focussed on what makes Spider-Man, Spider-Man. They didn't need a complete reboot. Spidey 3 did not 'bomb' at the box office. Was it critically acclaimed? No. But people still would have gone to see a Spidey 4.

New cast and team would not have been a problem. These characters are bigger than the actors (so long as they are half decent - We will have an Iron Man w/o RD Jr and it will still sell). More importantly, all the groundwork had already been establsihed and most of it was pretty solid.

Peter and MJ are back together, BUT Gwen is now in the picture. Love triangle, just like the comics people. Captain Stacy is here now too. All the Bugle folks are around. Heck, with the loss of Harry, bring in Flash Thompson as a buddy for Pete. Awesome supporting cast right there.

Curt Connors has already been introduced as Pete's prof, so there was a perfect Lizard set up.

We know VENOM is not really 'dead' - They could have had another kick at the can to bring him back RIGHT. Sandman could potentially be brought back too. Think of the Return of the Sinister Six storyline where Doc Ock "blackmailed" Sandman to join their cause. Did Doc Ock really die at the end of Spidey 2???

After Spidey was a bit of a jerk after the whole Venom thing, he could be back to being disliked by the general public.

Sure, Green Goblin "died", but we all know he comes back (or could), he could be the villain in the background, pulling the strings - His return could have been EPIC.

And think of all the villains and other cast they STILL could have used at the time that they had not yet used, Black Cat, Carnage, Electro, Kraven, Lizard, Mysterio (I sooo want to see a Mysterio on the big screen), Rhino, Silver Sable, Spider-Slayers...Lots of cool options with the rogues gallery and multitude of story lines Spidey has.

Anyway, Sony, in my eyes, seems to have fudged up the Spidey franchise.

Chuck,

I truly believe anyone else they got to play JJ other than the previous actor would have been a total flop and that has to be the reason they haven't incorporated him in the film series yet. I have a feeling we will see him in part 3 as the comedic character due to people begging again to see him on the screen.

And I see that as all the more reason they shouldn't have rebooted the series in the first place, and an example of what's flawed about it....

Also I hear yea on the origin aspect, but it is not like the Raimi movies were 20-30 years ago so they probably felt there was no need to regurgitate what people just saw a couple years back (yes even if it was 11 years from each part 1's). Same goes with Ben as Batman soon, there is just no need to rehash it so soon besides maybe a 1 minute flashback.

Once again, I see this as what is flawed about the reboot... if you're not going to do it right, why do it? Skip the origin. Why tell it wrong?

I for one really enjoy the S6 all coming from Oscorp. An evil empire is a cool concept, you know a real life Star bucks :insane:

Yeah.... I find the evil empire concept a bit tiring. Been reading that kind of thing for 40 years....

I guess I knew besides the one big death in this movie that this movie was basically a filler movie similar to the Iron Man sequels.

Not... a good recommendation....

The big keys for me is how will the movies be going forward with S6 and Venom/Carnage. That is what I am really waiting for and hoping those are not screw ups.

We shall see......

If they make it that far....!

These movies are more geared to that Venom/Carnage crowd, so... they ought to just skip the S6.

As selfish as this sounds -

I personally like the new Spidey franchise, but I do not disagree that it shouldn't exist in its current state. I would LOVE for Sony to screw it up at this point.

Why?

Because it makes it that much more likely that Sony will let the rights expire and revert back to Marvel. ;)

I personally like the new Spidey franchise, but I do not disagree that it shouldn't exist in its current state. I would LOVE for Sony to screw it up at this point.

Why?

Because it makes it that much more likely that Sony will let the rights expire and revert back to Marvel. ;)

There will be peace in the middle east and a fictional event know as Revelations will also happen before Sony ever gives up Spider-man back to Marvel.

Why?

There will be peace in the middle east and a fictional event know as Revelations will also happen before Sony ever gives up Spider-man back to Marvel.

One thing I think will come from all this if ASM 2 doesn`t get the desired box office results is there will be a change in Spider-Man`s costume.

I know a sacrilege thought. :o

Spider-Man`s costume just like Superman`s and Batman`s doesn't work in live action movies that well. They look great in the comic books and animation series, but for some reason they don`t seem to fit in after seeing Iron Man fly around in armor.

I think they definitely will change Spider-Man`s costume for the next movie somewhat.

Here was a rejected costume that Marc Webb wanted compared to the one they used for ASM 2. I like it myself. It seems more realistic for live action movies.

Any thoughts about they will change Spider-Man`s costume for ASM 3 somewhat?

spidey-costumes.jpg

Amazing-Spider-Man-alternate-costume

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I hope they don't change the costume. The ASM 2 costume is just too good for them to throw it away. I mean, it has gotten a lot of praise. I understand the alternate might be more realistic, but the new costume just makes it look like he stepped out of the books. And with that side by side comparison, I just think the new costume knocks the other one out of the park. The alternate one has eyes that make him look surprised all the time

Why do they feel they always need to start over from the beginning with these movies for each "re-launch"? What's wrong with making a movie with a good superman/spiderman/etc story without retelling the same story and origin from the ground up each time? Everyone knows spider-man's origin, superman's, batman's origin for christsakes. We don't need the origin re-told each time just because it's a different actor

Edited by Mr Pristine

Why do they feel they always need to start over from the beginning with these movies for each "re-launch"? What's wrong with making a movie with a good superman/spiderman/etc story without retelling the same story and origin from the ground up each time? Everyone knows spider-man's origin, superman's, batman's origin for christsakes. We don't need the origin re-told each time just because it's a different actor

Agree 100%

No need to see an origin re-telling ever again on any of these 3 characters. I was actually a little surprised they did it with Superman this time around.

Why?

One thing I think will come from all this if ASM 2 doesn`t get the desired box office results is there will be a change in Spider-Man`s costume.

Spider-Man`s costume just like Superman`s and Batman`s doesn't work in live action movies that well. They look great in the comic books and animation series, but for some reason they don`t seem to fit in after seeing Iron Man fly around in armor.

I think they definitely will change Spider-Man`s costume for the next movie somewhat.

Here was a rejected costume that Marc Webb wanted compared to the one they used for ASM 2. I like it myself. It seems more realistic for live action movies.

spidey-costumes.jpg

I like that they went with a more spandexy look this time. The modern body armour thing is really stiff and overused, and will look really dated in the years to come. You can never go wrong by going classic and iconic.

Why?

spidey-costumes.jpg

I cannot come up with a reason why the costume on the left is more "realistic". care to explain?

That's the mistake that we as "insiders" make. Not "everyone" knows the origin or even more than the very basic concept of these characters. Most people have the attention span of a fly...give it 10 years and there will be a whole new audience for new Batman movies 2c

Why?

spidey-costumes.jpg

I cannot come up with a reason why the costume on the left is more "realistic". care to explain?

there's your answer. story sucks, box office blows, change the costume. doh!

Why?

spidey-costumes.jpg

Movie was very good my friend, but we change the costume if the box office is weaker because

Spider-Man just like Superman has become stale to certain parts of the movie going audience. :o

I will give you an example

I saw Man of Steel last year with my wife, and raved about it. I asked my 22 year old nephew and his wife if they were going to see it. The answer they replied was no. They would catch Man of Steel on Red Box, as they figured you seen one Superman story you seen them all.

Lets jump now to about a week ago. I ask my 23 year old nephew and his wife if they want to go see ASM 2 with me and my wife. Again a decline.

He said to be honest Spider-Man is not that exciting to him anymore, as he has moved onto The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones kind of stuff.

I think that is what is happening. A certain fan base has become bored with Superman, and Spider-Man and have moved onto more contemporary characters.

Another future example will be Tarzan. I will go see it, but do you think many other people will be excited to go see it? Probably not because the perception of Tarzan is he is old and boring, and that perception is now what might be what is happening to Spider-Man with the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones kind of crowd.

That`s why I could see a new look for Spider-Man would happen so they can get the Walking Dead kind of audience more interested.

IMHO

Why?

spidey-costumes.jpg

In today`s world of Call of Duty, Iron Man and Halo to certain audiences a guy swinging around in pajamas or spandex seems out of place.

Hence that`s why I would go with a more modern costume.

Maybe bring the black one out for ASM 3?

1323877.jpg

Why?

spidey-costumes.jpg

Movie was very good my friend, but we change the costume if the box office is weaker because

Spider-Man just like Superman has become stale to certain parts of the movie going audience. :o

I saw Man of Steel last year with my wife, and raved about it. I asked my 22 year old nephew and his wife if they were going to see it. The answer they replied was no. They would catch Man of Steel on Red Box, as they figured you seen one Superman story you seen them all.

Lets jump now to about a week ago. I ask my 23 year old nephew and his wife if they want to go see ASM 2 with me and my wife. Again a decline.

He said to be honest Spider-Man is not that exciting to him anymore, as he has moved onto The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones kind of stuff.

I think that is what is happening. A certain fan base has become bored with Superman, and Spider-Man and have moved onto more contemporary characters.

Another future example will be Tarzan. I will go see it, but do you think many other people will be excited to go see it? Probably not because the perception of Tarzan is he is old and boring, and that perception is now what might be what is happening to Spider-Man with the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones kind of crowd.

That`s why I could see a new look for Spider-Man would happen so they can get the Walking Dead kind of audience more interested.

IMHO

i saw enough terrible trailers as Sony got increasingly desperate and read enough reviews to know i wouldn't waste my time seeing it if someone paid me to see it.

Edited by paperheart

Why?

spidey-costumes.jpg

IMHO

i saw enough terrible trailers as Sony got increasingly desperate and read enough reviews to know i wouldn't waste my time seeing it if someone paid me to see it.

Same here. Nothing to do with the costume. The trailers failed to excite, the turnout was ok, the word of mouth stinks.

That's why Sony threw as much into that ad campaign as they could - they HAD to get the best opening possible because they knew they had a turd, and it's competition is going to clobber it in another week.

All the non-comic folk in my office and that I know have actually said they will rent Spidey but will be going to see X-Men...Word of mouth matters...Spidey does not need to be dark and edgy...He needs a good -script with solid actors and costume designs (other than Spidey's) that don't look like complete and utter mess.

Ok, that movie stank.

Just sat through 2.5 hours of and cheesy -script.

There were a few good action sequences but I wouldn't have gone to see it if I knew it was going to be like this.

The Rhino blew chunks. Electro blew chunks (Batman Bale voice anyone?) and the Goblin blew chunks.

Sorry guys, I'd love to love it but this movie was written with 17 year olds in mind.

6/10 (5.0/5.5 if unpressed)