• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 2 is a winner. The Rotten Tomatoes reviews were off.

856 posts in this topic

hm

Where I was of a mind to give this a shot when I receive my next Redbox free movie coupon, I think I'll hold off.

:(

Trust me. It`s enjoyable. This is coming from the guy who thinks True Detective, Game of Thrones,Man of Steel and Gotham are entertaining.

Is it the greatest thing ever?

No, but you won`t be bored. ;)

If you're talking about me you have me mixed up with another boardie. I have never seen a single one of those shows or movies listed so I can't nor have I commented on them except maybe stating that no one can surpass Terence Stamp as Zod. As I said I thought the first 1:45 minutes or so were ok but then it by the time it was done it left me felling the way Crystal Skull was portrayed on South Park. I was not bored watching that film either but a lot of bad and silly choices were mad after 19 years.

On the flip side I finally watched 2001 A Space Oddisy a few weeks ago and yeah that bored me and that is from around my favorite period for movies, and I love some Kubrik's other films but I remember thinking holy I'm bored during the trippy space travel scene, at least that was near the end. I had held off on watching the film even though it is a classic just due to watching a few minutes of the beginning of the film on TV a number years ago. There were some cool space scenes and the HAL stuff is classic but for the most part I was really bored. I'm with Rock Hudson in wondering what the hell I just watched.

hm

Where I was of a mind to give this a shot when I receive my next Redbox free movie coupon, I think I'll hold off.

Trust me. It`s enjoyable. This is coming from the guy who thinks True Detective, Game of Thrones,Man of Steel and Gotham are entertaining.

I concur. The movie had some glaring issues- plot and villains being one of them. However, I felt like the portrayal of Peter as Spider-Man may have been the closest I've seen. I also felt like the relationship between Gwen and Peter was well done and Emma Stone was worth the price of admission. She was better than any on screen love interest in any comic film I've seen, so far.

I agree..Emma was great and Spidey scenes are great.

I can't get over the fact all villains come from Oscorp, Peter gets bitten at Oscorp, his Dad worked for Oscorp.

It's so far from the source material it makes me ill. Plus, why do they have to tie everything to Oscorp in a little bow? Sickening.

I even thought about buying the Blu Ray last night and passed on it.

Ugh!

hm

If you're talking about me you have me mixed up with another boardie. I have never seen a single one of those shows or movies listed so I can't nor have I commented on them except maybe stating that no one can surpass Terence Stamp as Zod. As I said I thought the first 1:45 minutes or so were ok but then it by the time it was done it left me felling the way Crystal Skull was portrayed on South Park. I was not bored watching that film either but a lot of bad and silly choices were mad after 19 years.

On the flip side I finally watched 2001 A Space Oddisy a few weeks ago and yeah that bored me and that is from around my favorite period for movies, and I love some Kubrik's other films but I remember thinking holy I'm bored during the trippy space travel scene, at least that was near the end. I had held off on watching the film even though it is a classic just due to watching a few minutes of the beginning of the film on TV a number years ago. There were some cool space scenes and the HAL stuff is classic but for the most part I was really bored. I'm with Rock Hudson in wondering what the hell I just watched.

2001 A Space Odyssey bored me. It`s funny my old philosophy professor gave me the homework assignment to watch that a few years ago, and then write a report on it. 2001 A Space Odyssey made me fall asleep. :o

I had to watch 2001 A Space Odyssey a few times to get thru it, so I could write my report. :)

btw my post was aimed at Bosco685, as I know he loves Man of Steel and True Detective. I wanted to let him know ASM 2 is not the worst picture ever, and he should give it a watch. :)

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

btw my post was aimed at Bosco685, as I know he loves Man of Steel and True Detective. I wanted to let him know ASM 2 not the worst picture ever, and he should give it a watch. :)

{slowly toys with his REDBOX FREE MOVIE COUPON in thought}

hm

The Rotten Tomatoes Review were off....

Here are your tomatoes.....

:boo::boo::boo::boo::boo::boo::boo::boo:

:gossip:

ASM 2 did get a 53% on Rotten Tomatoes, so it passed in my book.

If you really want to see a worst superhero movie then ASM2, then go see the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie that got 19% at Rotten Tomatoes. I seen TMNT with four non-comicbook people, and they all hated it and called it a borefest.

Of course I was the lone defender of TMNT that day, and gave it a pass. :tonofbricks:

Doc M without the nutsack

That sums it up

Electro's look is also a bit derivative of Kessler from the Infamous videogame.

Rented the blu-ray from Redbox last night.

My review:

There was some seriously great talent in Jaimie Foxx and Paul Giamatti completely wasted in this movie.

Emma was pretty good.

Spidey looked good but reminded me of whiny Anakin Skywalker, alot.

I am glad we only spent $2 to see this and instead saw GotG in the theatre.

The people bored by 2001-do you know what the movie was about? People I talk to that were bored by the movie had absolutely no idea what was going on. If you understand the plot, it's fascinating.

I imagine watching any foreign movie without subtitles would also be boring because you would have absolutely no idea what was going on.

Of course I'm expecting people to google then claim they knew what it was about so as not to appear dense....

Edited by kav

The people bored by 2001-do you know what the movie was about? People I talk to that were bored by the movie had absolutely no idea what was going on. If you understand the plot, it's fascinating.

I imagine watching any foreign movie without subtitles would also be boring because you would have absolutely no idea what was going on.

Of course I'm expecting people to google then claim they knew what it was about so as not to appear dense....

I mostly was bored with the psychedelic scene at the end. I wasn't high and it carried on too long. Apparently that scene is what saved it from being pulled from theaters, thanks to all the stoners of the late 60's.

The psychedelic scenes were a very small part of the movie! How can that turn you off to the whole movie?

OK here's a synop:

Proto man is dying. Not enough food. A higher civilization from the stars goes around nurturing potential intelligent races. They do it with the monolith-something so technically advanced it's pointless to try to describe. The monolith increases the brain power of the ape-men-teaches them. There's food all around you! Meat. Here's a tool-and a weapon.

Then the scene where the ape man throws up his bone club in victory cuts to an orbiting nuclear weapon station-man's first weapon cuts to his last. Both shown in free-fall.

A monolith has been found on the moon. It was placed there as an alarm-when the ape men evolve enough to dig it up, it will trigger a signal to another monolith-a larger one-orbiting Jupiter. The sun overhead triggers the transmission.

Discovery mission to Jupiter-to see what the monolith sent the transmission to. HAL is the only 'crew' member who knows the mission, Dave and Frank do not-they are basically janitors until the real scientists are awakened.

HAL's programming is delicate-he becomes schizophrenic having to keep the secret from humans. His solution is to claim the AE 35 unit-which keeps the antennae pointed precisely at Earth for communication-will fail.

Then when HAL is found out his only option is to kill the entire crew and proceed with the mission.

Dave destroys HAL's higher centers and approaches the monolith in space-he is a dead man-without HAL-he cannot go back in hibernation and cannot survive on Discovery long enough for 're acquisition'. But he still is a professional and he's going to survey the monolith. It turns out the larger monolith is a space gate-it shuttles him all around the universe until he ends up in a strange room inside a star. He exits the pod. The monolith begins speeding up his aging-it discards his old body and creates a higher form for the next stage of Man's evolution-the Star Child. The Star Child doesn't need monoliths-it warps space and returns to it's home planet-a planet riddled with strife. It does not know what it will do-but it will think of something....

I love that movie

Still the most realistic sci fi ever made-only had 2 errors-all gravity related-one: the people on the lunar base walked around in Earth gravity and there should have been no gravity in the pod bay-it was not in the centrifuge.

Every other sci fi movie is loaded with errors even 'Gravity'....

The special effects were incredible for the period with the low tech they had available-everything had to be done manually. The scene where we see an x ray view of the AE 35 unit on the computer screen was actually a wire dummy.....all those lines.....

This was the other movie we had to review for that philosophy class.

51175A95QSL._SY300_.jpg

Akira Kurosawa`s Seven Samurai was more enjoyable then 2001: A Space Odyssey !

I will give kudos to the Hal scenes and it has a nice futuristic look.

I love that movie

Still the most realistic sci fi ever made-only had 2 errors-all gravity related-one: the people on the lunar base walked around in Earth gravity and there should have been no gravity in the pod bay-it was not in the centrifuge.

Every other sci fi movie is loaded with errors even 'Gravity'....

The special effects were incredible for the period with the low tech they had available-everything had to be done manually. The scene where we see an x ray view of the AE 35 unit on the computer screen was actually a wire dummy.....all those lines.....

The 2001: A Space Odyssey did have great special effects for the time in the 1960s,but lets not forgot a sci-fi movie that came out at about the same time that had just as great special effects Planet of the Apes. So even 2001: A Space Odyssey can`t claim to have the first groundbreaking special effects for that time period, when Planet of the Apes was breaking ground at the same time.

planet-of-the-apes-poster1.jpg

The psychedelic scenes were a very small part of the movie! How can that turn you off to the whole movie?

OK here's a synop:

Proto man is dying. Not enough food. A higher civilization from the stars goes around nurturing potential intelligent races. They do it with the monolith-something so technically advanced it's pointless to try to describe. The monolith increases the brain power of the ape-men-teaches them. There's food all around you! Meat. Here's a tool-and a weapon.

Then the scene where the ape man throws up his bone club in victory cuts to an orbiting nuclear weapon station-man's first weapon cuts to his last. Both shown in free-fall.

A monolith has been found on the moon. It was placed there as an alarm-when the ape men evolve enough to dig it up, it will trigger a signal to another monolith-a larger one-orbiting Jupiter. The sun overhead triggers the transmission.

Discovery mission to Jupiter-to see what the monolith sent the transmission to. HAL is the only 'crew' member who knows the mission, Dave and Frank do not-they are basically janitors until the real scientists are awakened.

HAL's programming is delicate-he becomes schizophrenic having to keep the secret from humans. His solution is to claim the AE 35 unit-which keeps the antennae pointed precisely at Earth for communication-will fail.

Then when HAL is found out his only option is to kill the entire crew and proceed with the mission.

Dave destroys HAL's higher centers and approaches the monolith in space-he is a dead man-without HAL-he cannot go back in hibernation and cannot survive on Discovery long enough for 're acquisition'. But he still is a professional and he's going to survey the monolith. It turns out the larger monolith is a space gate-it shuttles him all around the universe until he ends up in a strange room inside a star. He exits the pod. The monolith begins speeding up his aging-it discards his old body and creates a higher form for the next stage of Man's evolution-the Star Child. The Star Child doesn't need monoliths-it warps space and returns to it's home planet-a planet riddled with strife. It does not know what it will do-but it will think of something....

I will rewatch this today, and see if my perspective has changed since I last watched it in 2007? hm

Which source material?

They appear to be modelling the movies off of the Ultimate Spiderman books. Everything originates with Oscorp in those as well.

It's a C+/B- movie to me. Better than the first reboot, much better than the 3rd Tobey movie, but not as good as the first two Tobey movies.

I agree..Emma was great and Spidey scenes are great.

I can't get over the fact all villains come from Oscorp, Peter gets bitten at Oscorp, his Dad worked for Oscorp.

It's so far from the source material it makes me ill. Plus, why do they have to tie everything to Oscorp in a little bow? Sickening.

I even thought about buying the Blu Ray last night and passed on it.

Ugh!