• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has MP 15 "REALLY" hit all time highs?

531 posts in this topic

Now, going back to the topic full circle. Hector told me that chapao12 had a MP 15 listing which is weird because he is the one who Hit my BIN for the book I am selling and is a NPB.

I don't know if maybe he is the one setting up price values so that he can go ahead and resell his book if he indeed has a copy himself. (I will be on the lookout on my end for any cgc 9.8 that appears from now on and check if he will relist it once again or something.)

This is the best quote. Says he didn't manipulate the price and that his Shill did. Only to have pointed out that he is the shill. :cloud9:

How much you wanna bet he didn't open a case against himself?

So how can we let Ebay know about this person and his shill bidding accounts ?

He is pretty much done on this website . But getting him booted off of Ebay would probably hurt as much if not more.

That could also be a warning to other people trying or doing this already .

Simply call ebay and point out his two usernames with his same contact info and show how he's bidding on himself and he's toast. And it's not so easy to set up a new ebay/paypal account once you've been kicked off-I've visited the kicked off ebay forums and it's a nightmare-they have great programs for detecting that stuff.

I think its been the trend of the last 5 years.

Isn't Gerry Ross rated the #1 comic book scammer too?

I'm sure that doesn't help Canadas rep.

That guy still owes me money. :mad: It's been so long...20 years? I forget how much. :tonofbricks: Maybe 50 bucks. :frustrated:

Brilliant work to weed out a greedy, lying scammer. Hopefully this works to deter others from trying the same thing. Wish Ebay was better at monitoring its own sellers for fraudulent activity and not leaving it to others. Thanks to those that have provided a service to the collecting community.

Congrats guys on busting this lying POS.

The bigger concern is, how many other people are pulling the same crud on ebay and other auction sites? I mean really, if this dolt could do it anyone could.

This has always been a concern.

As a community, we felt somewhat assured that not allowing sources like Comiclink to cherry-pick sales data would give GPA more balanced analytics with less chance of data being skewed for self-serving purposes.

The issue however is that eBay is a far bigger problem than Comiclink ever could be, because of the way eBay makes it impossible to even know whose who, especially in the case of hiding any/all potential relationships between bidder and seller. Comiclink isn't any better as far as anonymizing consigners, but with eBay, any one with a couple of aliases has full control and can run the full gamut of trickery as we've seen in this case. eBay simply doesn't care, because if it did, they would have a use case from this example to make changes and quick before people completely lose confidence.

I highly doubt this is a one-of-situation either, as running a scheme like this in the manner this individual has simply doesn't appear to be the work of a first trial run. And the other drawback is that you need to be on top of these listings before they disappear from eBay's archiving function to have a shot at being able to tease out any wrongdoing. The negative trickle effect is that any 3rd-party that utilizes eBay's data inherits all the transparency issues, and like I've said before, unless you have a way to peel back the layers of each data point, you simply can't have the complete picture when it comes to referencing eBay sales.

This has to be one of the best threads on here. Great detective work Jay, Harvey and the others involved. When BBT first popped up here and started his wheeling & dealing I was skeptical. Glad he's been ousted. Chalk him up there with DD, Ewald, OR, spinal adjusters, and the other shadey ppl that are manipulating this hobby to the point where its getting to where it is difficult to trust sellers. Fortunately, I've floated around the boards long enough to learn who to deal with. Mega kudos again for catching the scam.

Congrats guys on busting this lying POS.

The bigger concern is, how many other people are pulling the same crud on ebay and other auction sites? I mean really, if this dolt could do it anyone could.

This has always been a concern.

As a community, we felt somewhat assured that not allowing sources like Comiclink to cherry-pick sales data would give GPA more balanced analytics with less chance of data being skewed for self-serving purposes.

The issue however is that eBay is a far bigger problem than Comiclink ever could be, because of the way eBay makes it impossible to even know whose who, especially in the case of hiding any/all potential relationships between bidder and seller. Comiclink isn't any better as far as anonymizing consigners, but with eBay, any one with a couple of aliases has full control and can run the full gamut of trickery as we've seen in this case. eBay simply doesn't care, because if it did, they would have a use case from this example to make changes and quick before people completely lose confidence.

I highly doubt this is a one-of-situation either, as running a scheme like this in the manner this individual has simply doesn't appear to be the work of a first trial run. And the other drawback is that you need to be on top of these listings before they disappear from eBay's archiving function to have a shot at being able to tease out any wrongdoing. The negative trickle effect is that any 3rd-party that utilizes eBay's data inherits all the transparency issues, and like I've said before, unless you have a way to peel back the layers of each data point, you simply can't have the complete picture when it comes to referencing eBay sales.

Not really. Between what we do in-house and what the boards do here, and a number of sleuths that report to us directly, there are over 16,146 ebay auctions not included in GPA. Sometimes immediately, most within days to weeks, others over a longer period. But I agree with you, this is a problem for eBay that they could easily fix, or at least mostly fix

What is the best way to report suspicious sales to GPA? I got a couple good ones to send in.

That is a slippery slope your getting into what is to stop someone from screwing with gpa by reporting false sales without hard evidence or doing it to use it to their advantage?

What is the best way to report suspicious sales to GPA? I got a couple good ones to send in.

That is a slippery slope your getting into what is to stop someone from screwing with gpa by reporting false sales without hard evidence or doing it to use it to their advantage?

Firstly we don't just remove sales on someone's gut feel, but people do try.

Secondly, the sale isn't deleted, but segregated from and noted below the main analysis,

I hope this does not hurt boardies overall view of Canadian boardies as buyers and sellers :foryou: , but yeah, this sucks.

What is so headshaking to me, is...Is all of this work to lie and cheat worth a few extra bucks? How many hours go into creating shills and fake listings and wildly_fanciful_statement and then, when caught, how many hours go into walls of text :eek:

To me, it just does NOT seem worth it, the stress, your reputation, just...Sad.

On the positive, this just highlights the number of GOOD people and the wealth of information here on the boards so a big :acclaim: to the detectives who figured this guy out.

I hope this does not hurt boardies overall view of Canadian boardies as buyers and sellers :foryou: , but yeah, this sucks.

What is so headshaking to me, is...Is all of this work to lie and cheat worth a few extra bucks? How many hours go into creating shills and fake listings and wildly_fanciful_statement and then, when caught, how many hours go into walls of text :eek:

On the positive, this just highlights the number of GOOD people and the wealth of information here on the boards so a big :acclaim: to the detectives who figured this guy out.

There is no price on your reputation,it should never be for sale.

Doubt we'll see him here again (under that ID at least). He got stone-cold busted and then lied his off and got busted doing that.

If we do, he'll probably have yet another excuse but he'll start it off by saying something like, "Everybody has already made up their mind, so nothing I say will matter anyway....". Making it like we're the issue, not his actions.

I don't mess with eBay anymore, haven't in a long time. But I'm glad that a lot of you do and do keep an eye out for this stuff. As many have said, this kind of stuff messes with hobby as a whole. This is market manipulation and so it does affect my collecting too. It's a shame really.

Good riddance to this guy. I hope that the boardie that bought this book for real has backed out of the sale.

There is no price on your reputation,it should never be for sale.

And if it is for sale, certainly don't shill it.