• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
55 55

8,665 posts in this topic

Just now, Number 6 said:

The impression I get is that this wasn’t so much the seller noticing that addresses didn’t match, but that eBay/PayPal put up a yellow flag on the transaction details highlighting that the address was unvarified. 

Since both eBay and PayPal have cautioned sellers about shipping to an unverified address it’s understandable that it might give a seller pause. 

+1.  The issue is with hackers changing the shipping address for accounts not used very often.  They hack the account, change the address, the item ships then they remove the address and/or restore the default.  There are a few boardies that have been victims of this particular scheme.     

If the buyer name is exactly the same in eBay and PayPal, and the address match exactly then I see no reason for the additional scrutiny.

however if I won that book for that price and I wanted that book why not just ask why they needed that information instead of the response they sent

56 minutes ago, Timmay said:

There is no need for any of this.

The buyer paid, the seller ships book.

That's it.

It's that simple.

Not necessarily.  Something could have been flagged on the sellers end. We don't know why the seller initially asked. 

I just don't get what the big deal would be after the sellers initial comment to ask why and upon satisfactory response, to provide it again. It is not like the seller was asking for his social security number.  Maybe he just wanted it confirmed, for whatever reason, via the ebay message system.  Could the seller have explained or handled it better? For sure. So could the buyer. It was a very snarky reply and I could see, if the seller, for whatever reason had concern, to back away. 

We all handle things differently and all I am saying is that the whole thing could have likely been resolved between the buyer and seller without any drama in like 5 minutes with maybe three sentences or a tiny bit of friendly back and forth. 

Edited by Wall-Crawler

4 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

Not necessarily.  Something could have been flagged on the sellers end. We don't know why the seller initially asked. 

I just don't get what the big deal would be after the sellers initial comment to ask why and upon satisfactory response, to provide it again. It is not like the seller was asking for his social security number.  Maybe he just wanted it confirmed, for whatever reason, via the ebay message system.  Could the seller have explained or handled it better? For sure. So could the buyer. It was a very snarky reply and I could see, if the seller, for whatever reason had concern, to back away. 

We all handle things differently and all I am saying is that the whole thing could have likely been resolved between the buyer and seller without any drama in like 5 minutes with maybe three sentences or a tiny bit of friendly back and forth. 

Agreed.  Something could have been flagged on seller's end or the seller could have had problems in the past where buyer had recently moved and buyer's paypal address had not been updated and that led to lost books and or negative feedback.  Why not politely ask the seller why he needed the info rather than get hostile?  

@ygogolak I really think you and the seller should work this out as you both seem to be in the wrong.

seller: probably old school. If the PayPal payment states seller protection eligible there should be no reason for him to ask to confirm the address. No fraudsters will buy a $25 book. However - his enquiry was formal but polite.

buyer - you: can understand why you got annoyed but just because you have twice the feedback does not make you more superior. Your reply was unwanted.

if I was the seller - I would have gone ahead with the transaction (given $25 book) but I would also have added you to my block list. 

You say you are not a seller - so FYI - it is not about whether a buyer will say a few negative feedbacks are ok. The issue with getting a negative feedback is that it has a significant impact on ebay’s Search engine and his items will must likely be in the bottom of the best match now. 

In summary - both you and the seller do not look good in this transaction. You say seller has reached out. Get the transaction completed and amend the feedback

Edited by Poka
Hmm

17 minutes ago, SoYouSay said:

Great advice. MCS agrees with you:

NOTE REGARDING SHIPPING ADDRESS: If you choose to pay via PayPal, we can only ship to the address you select on the PayPal web site. Any address you previously entered or selected during this checkout session will be ignored. Only the address you select on PayPal will be used, so please make sure it is the address you want. If the address you want to ship to is not a "confirmed" address in your PayPal account, you will have to add the address and confirm it with PayPal before it will be available as a shipping destination.

In regards to my particular transaction, I have already stated it's been confirmed for a long time.

24 minutes ago, Poka said:

@ygogolak I really think you and the seller should work this out as you both seem to be in the wrong.

seller: probably old school. If the PayPal payment states seller protection eligible there should be no reason for him to ask to confirm the address. No fraudsters will buy a $25 book. However - his enquiry was formal but polite.

buyer - you: can understand why you got annoyed but just because you have twice the feedback does not make you more superior. Your reply was unwanted.

if I was the seller - I would have gone ahead with the transaction (given $25 book) but I would also have added you to my block list. 

You say you are not a seller - so FYI - it is not about whether a buyer will say a few negative feedbacks are ok. The issue with getting a negative feedback is that it has a significant impact on ebay’s Search engine and his items will must likely be in the bottom of the best match now. 

In summary - both you and the seller do not look good in this transaction. You say seller has reached out. Get the transaction completed and amend the feedback

Most of my transaction feedback is being a seller.

Negative feedback pushes your listings lower? It's not based on search words? We're talking about comics which are usually pretty specific, not a toothbrush for instance.

48 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Agreed.  Something could have been flagged on seller's end or the seller could have had problems in the past where buyer had recently moved and buyer's paypal address had not been updated and that led to lost books and or negative feedback.  Why not politely ask the seller why he needed the info rather than get hostile?  

Because I'm being accused before even being asked.

Why don't people just look at feedback and make a determination on their own?

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

In regards to my particular transaction, I have already stated it's been confirmed for a long time.

If there was some problem with your address wouldn't other sellers have gotten notifications??  (shrug)

7 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I'm  wondering why you didn't just respond with a short "just curious why you want this information?" and to have a "normal" dialogue from there. Honestly, it would have taken what, a few short extra sentences?

I think that would have been the better way to go...I don't think the seller deserves a neg for asking that initial question as there could have been extenuating circumstances for him asking in the first place.

Now, I think if you provided your shipping info and it matched your PayPal info and he still refused to ship, sure, give him a neg but I just don't see what ended up transpiring as neg worthy.

2c

It was multiple other messages, for a couple of days.

6 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn't expect this much dialogue.

I do agree that I could have responded differently. I was feeling good off some Espolon on a Saturday night and probably should have slept it off.

I have responded to the seller, who offered me a discount to complete the canceled transaction and remove feedback, to pay the original agreed amount of they want.

Good stuff---classy move!

10 hours ago, ygogolak said:
10 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Does your eBay name/address match your PayPal info

ive had instances where the names don’t match. I’ve had issues with those transactions in the past but always ruled in my favor because I shipped to the address that PayPal provided

Also doesn’t this seem a bit aggressive? 

I don’t think his request was unreasonable and honestly your response comes across I’m better than you etc

Yes, everything matches exactly.

Of course it's aggressive. I was dumbfounded and feeling good on the jerk juice.

Yeah the intent there looks bac.  If it was $10 book Id ship anyways, but if it was over say $50 and it was unconfirmed I would have asked
the same sort of question.

Based on that information I might have cancelled your transaction just because the content makes you like a problem I don't need.

6 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:
7 hours ago, Timmay said:

There is no need for any of this.

The buyer paid, the seller ships book.

That's it.

It's that simple.

I agree with Wall-crawler. $10 book no big deal I wouldn't even ask.

$50 or higher book I would ask why they don't match and wait for an answer. 

32 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Most of my transaction feedback is being a seller.

Negative feedback pushes your listings lower? It's not based on search words? We're talking about comics which are usually pretty specific, not a toothbrush for instance.

Yes - negative feedback is one of the inputs to eBay’s SEO

couple of articles (among many)

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/11-Cassini-Helps-for-Sellers/td-p/18949907

https://crazylister.com/blog/ebay-search-engine-cassini/

16 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I didn't expect this much dialogue.

I do agree that I could have responded differently. I was feeling good off some Espolon on a Saturday night and probably should have slept it off.

I have responded to the seller, who offered me a discount to complete the canceled transaction and remove feedback, to pay the original agreed amount of they want.

You understand how this makes you look right? There are a lot sellers that look at this thread a lot. Based of the value of the book I might have asked you the same question.

At $30 I probably wouldn't have asked that, but you get the point right? Had you responded as such I might have just cancelled the transaction especially if the amount was higher.

18 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Yeah the intent there looks bac.  If it was $10 book Id ship anyways, but if it was over say $50 and it was unconfirmed I would have asked
the same sort of question.

Based on that information I might have cancelled your transaction just because the content makes you like a problem I don't need.

Or you could just ship the item that I paid for to my already PayPal and eBay verified address.

But what fun is that right?

12 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

You understand how this makes you look right? There are a lot sellers that look at this thread a lot. Based of the value of the book I might have asked you the same question.

At $30 I probably wouldn't have asked that, but you get the point right? Had you responded as such I might have just cancelled the transaction especially if the amount was higher.

Please, tell me how this makes me look? Like someone that expects to get what they paid for without any hassle?

Edited by ygogolak