• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,602 posts in this topic

Ebay username: escaflown4

This guy didn't read the description carefully and decided he didn't want the item after receiving it and asked for a return/refund. OK, annoying but fine and I agreed to it and asked him to return the item, promising to refund him when received. All good so far, but he then files a paypal dispute which of course throws my account into a negative balance, so now I can't do any business using Paypal. I have some other transactions I needed to complete which I now can't.

Note to buyers...if you're in a situation like this and the buyer is nice and cooperative, don't file a dispute. It will f up their finances temporarily and will just make them angry and less cooperative

Oat Willy, I guess you never thought I happen to be a board member. So for everyone else that wants a clarification, here are the facts from my side.

I am assuming he is referring to the following auction since that's the only item I have initiated a return request on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVIL-ERNIE-1991-92-Eternity-Mini-Series-1-5-1st-LADY-DEATH-/121681830184?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=n2GhZLDVL556jUvAIKQ9ErCZbNc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Normally I don't bother with returning items unless I feel the books are grossly over graded compared to what was advertised which happens to be the case here. He advertised issue #1 as VF+ but it was more of a Fine / Fine+ condition. I just like how he twisted the situation claiming I didn't read the description and am returning it just because I felt like it. Sorry my friend, I got better things to do with my spare time.

Now let's get to the second part. I sent him a message telling him that I would like to return the books since I feel they are over graded. After I didn't hear back from him, I initiated a return request through eBay hoping to get a response back. He did respond back later that day to my original eBay message stating that he is out of town and can take care of it on 7/13. I responded back that I am ok with this. Now I never initiated any type of PayPal dispute which he is claiming. The only thing I did was start a return request through eBay and that was it. I do not know why his PayPal account went into negative balance nor was this any of my intentions. Again, I just like how this was twisted in his version of the story in which he stated he replied first and I opened a PayPal dispute afterward which is far from the truth.

I would definitely like to hear more on what Oat Willy has to say now that the facts have been brought out from the other side of the table. If this was all a misunderstanding, then I would like to get this resolved amicably.

This guy didn't read the description carefully and decided he didn't want the item after receiving it and asked for a return/refund. OK, annoying but fine and I agreed to it and asked him to return the item, promising to refund him when received. All good so far, but he then files a paypal dispute which of course throws my account into a negative balance, so now I can't do any business using Paypal. I have some other transactions I needed to complete which I now can't.

Note to buyers...if you're in a situation like this and the buyer is nice and cooperative, don't file a dispute. It will f up their finances temporarily and will just make them angry and less cooperative

Oat Willy, I guess you never thought I happen to be a board member. So for everyone else that wants a clarification, here are the facts from my side.

I am assuming he is referring to the following auction since that's the only item I have initiated a return request on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVIL-ERNIE-1991-92-Eternity-Mini-Series-1-5-1st-LADY-DEATH-/121681830184?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=n2GhZLDVL556jUvAIKQ9ErCZbNc%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Normally I don't bother with returning items unless I feel the books are grossly over graded compared to what was advertised which happens to be the case here. He advertised issue #1 as VF+ but it was more of a Fine / Fine+ condition. I just like how he twisted the situation claiming I didn't read the description and am returning it just because I felt like it. Sorry my friend, I got better things to do with my spare time.

Now let's get to the second part. I sent him a message telling him that I would like to return the books since I feel they are over graded. After I didn't hear back from him, I initiated a return request through eBay hoping to get a response back. He did respond back later that day to my original eBay message stating that he is out of town and can take care of it on 7/13. I responded back that I am ok with this. Now I never initiated any type of PayPal dispute which he is claiming. The only thing I did was start a return request through eBay and that was it. I do not know why his PayPal account went into negative balance nor was this any of my intentions. Again, I just like how this was twisted in his version of the story in which he stated he replied first and I opened a PayPal dispute afterward which is far from the truth.

I would definitely like to hear more on what Oat Willy has to say now that the facts have been brought out from the other side of the table. If this was all a misunderstanding, then I would like to get this resolved amicably.

Who's twisting what? I replied to your message asking to do a return almost immediately, letting you know that I would accept the return. Didn't hear anything back from you, and after a couple days I thought you had either decided to keep the books, or you were going to follow my instructions and send them back. Then I get your reply to my message AND the notice of your dispute at the same time. When you filed the dispute, they immediately pulled the funds out of my paypal account. My balance was at 0.00 so this threw my account into a negative balance. I found this out this morning when I tried to pay an invoice for an item I had purchased. Well guess what, now that seller's finances are affected also because I can't pay them via paypal.

As for how we can resolve this, it would be much appreciated if you would cancel that dispute (which also affects my sellers rating btw), and just send the books back to me like I had already offered to let you do. If you are eager to get this rolling I will be home on Monday 7/13, so if you want to send them before that so that they arrive on Monday, but no sooner, that would be great. I can reimburse you the shipping if you use Media Rate with Tracking (delivery confirmation). Please package well so they arrive in the same condition you received them in. Feel free to use the same carton I sent them in if it's still in good shape.

As for the books. I stand by my grading. But no problem, you weren't happy, and I want my buyers to happy, first and foremost.

Edited by Oat Willy

This has been my problem with this thread and its predecessor from the beginning. There are always two sides to every story. I'm against encouraging others to dump giant unvetted wads of eBay users into their blocked buyers list. Add in the power of Google and the popularity of this site, and this thread has the ability to really hurt someone who is innocently tarnished.

Want a great example of this? The predecessor to this thread was started by a guy who soon found his own eBay account on the list. And as with most of the accused, it was simply added to the list without any discussion or vetting.

Very strange. In my experience PayPal does not immeditaely pull any funds but rather waits until the case has been resolved. I also don't know why this affected your ability to pay another seller since you should have a bank account and/or credit cards linked to your PayPal as well. Doesn't really add up. Also, why would escaflown4 open a dispute if you had in fact agreed to a return?

Donmeca - do you honestly not think you lowballed him? You can argue if that is ok or not, but at least own up to it.

No, I've never seen any evidence to suggest that he does.

He kept senting me several messages BEFORE it was sold wanting to buy it for first 150

then 200. That same day I sold for 740 I emailed him. YES to gloat about making 740.

only because he was a "BLANK BLANK" with no brains and very unrealistic pricing.

YES i admit it. I did brag about

selling the book :(

still his response was strange/weird/ or whatever

started weird / ended weird....

I guess its in my nature to mess with people sometimes. :()

Elektra101

Let's not forget i DIDN'T send you a message.... i made an offer, then you declined with you offer afterwords i made another offer with a message. The way I interpreted via the way you posted it on here as if i messaged you PRIOR to making the offer... which NEVER happened.

Elektra101

You ever seen That 70s show??? well think of Ashton Kutcher saying BURN !!! because you just did that to yourself... im glad you blocked me, but i was about to do it to you prior.....

Not that Elektra101 behaved in a professional manner...he/she did not...but is it correct that you made a $150 offer on a book that hasn't sold for $150 since 2012, and has a current 12 month average price of $690, and a 90 day average of $700...? And followed it up with a $200 offer...?

If that is true, I'm not quite sure what ground you have to stand on, here.

It's still BUY IT NOW OR MAKE AND OFFER. it doesn't state anywhere on ebay that the offer has to be a certain amount. while at this point considering the movie is coming out next week, it might climb up in sales with the next few days. i still don't feel i was low balling him.

(emphasis added)

Just wanted to make sure all the facts were in before rushing to judgment.

Here are the sales for the last 6 months:

Jun-05-2015 $650 Cert# 1204009033

May-25-2015 $612 Cert# 1203909002

May-24-2015 $717 Cert# 1290478005

May-17-2015 $750 Cert# 0208120010

May-04-2015 $650 Cert# 1301226015

Apr-22-2015 $699 Cert# 1202739004

Apr-17-2015 $799 Cert# 0240986001

Apr-16-2015 $725 Cert# 0208120009

Apr-15-2015 $700 Cert# 1305165020

Apr-09-2015 $700 Cert# 0252230010

Apr-05-2015 $627 Cert# 0247445011

Mar-22-2015 $657 Cert# 1290478003

Mar-22-2015 $710 Cert# 1216468008

Feb-28-2015 $625 Cert# 0232770009

Feb-18-2015 $790 Cert# 1202485012

Feb-03-2015 $820 Cert# 1202485013

Jan-15-2015 $707 Cert# 0243792009

...but you still don't feel a $150, then $200, offer was "low-balling"?

Interesting.

It really comes down to respect, doesn't it...?

I don't keep up with all the current sales on any particular book. as far as respect goes, last i checked this is ebay, you can offer any amount of money you wish. not what someone feels they deserve. if someone doesn't like it, they shouldnt have a buy it now or best offer listed.

If you "don't keep up with all the current sales on any particular book", how did you come up with an offer of $150 and $200...?

What if the book was only worth $40? How could you know?

You're 100% correct....with a best offer, you can offer any price you want, from 1 cent to 1 cent less than the BIN. So, it's incumbent on sellers to not make it possible for others to make lowball offers...? You can't just respect them on your own, and do a few seconds worth of research, to come up with a fair offer? After all, we're talking about fair market value, not some pie-in-the-sky asking price.

Or is it really that you secretly hoped you had found a sucker who didn't know any better, and hoped you could take advantage of them...?

No, because they have best offer, that opens them up to disrespect, because they asked for it, right? Does common courtesy ever come into play, and if so, when? I mean, hell, even Elektra101 admitted his sending you those messages was inappropriate. Any give on your side...?

hm

I had a car listed on ebay 2 years for $22k... i got low ball offers up the wazoo. i didn't put that person on a list or start saying they owe me a respectable offer. you know why? because you can offer whatever you choose to thats how ebay works, and i of course just brushed it off and continued on.

As is often so very, very true in life...it's not really about what we CAN do...but what we SHOULD do...that makes all the difference.

Who's twisting what? I replied to your message asking to do a return almost immediately, letting you know that I would accept the return. Didn't hear anything back from you, and after a couple days I thought you had either decided to keep the books, or you were going to follow my instructions and send them back. Then I get your reply to my message AND the notice of your dispute at the same time. When you filed the dispute, they immediately pulled the funds out of my paypal account. My balance was at 0.00 so this threw my account into a negative balance. I found this out this morning when I tried to pay an invoice for an item I had purchased. Well guess what, now that seller's finances are affected also because I can't pay them via paypal.

That's not the buyer's responsibility. It is important that a seller not "spend the money" until he is sure that the buyer is satisfied with his purchase.

This additional issue can be resolved simply by adding to your Paypal account the negative balance.

As for how we can resolve this, it would be much appreciated if you would cancel that dispute (which also affects my sellers rating btw), and just send the books back to me like I had already offered to let you do. If you are eager to get this rolling I will be home on Monday 7/13, so if you want to send them before that so that they arrive on Monday, but no sooner, that would be great. I can reimburse you the shipping if you use Media Rate with Tracking (delivery confirmation). Please package well so they arrive in the same condition you received them in. Feel free to use the same carton I sent them in if it's still in good shape.

At this point, it would be inadvisable for Esca to cancel the dispute until it is fully resolved. A buyer cancelling a dispute is saying to eBay "everything is ok, and it has been resolved to my satisfaction", which it has not.

As for the books. I stand by my grading. But no problem, you weren't happy, and I want my buyers to happy, first and foremost.

That's the best attitude to have as a seller. :)

Oat Willy, I'll let the others judge if anything was twisted now that both side of the story has been presented. Let me re-iterate for you the sequence of events.

*I initiated the return request on eBay on the morning of July 2nd

*You responded to my original eBay message later in the afternoon on July 2nd.

*I responded back to you on the morning of July 4th.

That was it. I did not file any dispute with PayPal. There would be no sense in me in opening a dispute since you already agreed to the refund. It just doesn't make sense. I do not know why PayPal would take away your funds when the eBay case has not been closed yet. I would recommend checking with PayPal on this and how it is tied to the return request from eBay.

I'm sorry to hear about your PayPal balance being affected, but I am still puzzled on why you can't make payment with other methods like a credit card tied to your account or balance the account with a direct deposit from your bank? If this is due to a financial issue on your end, again I am sorry to hear about it but I am not sure how this becomes my problem.

Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable with cancelling the return request until everything is settled. If I cancel the request, eBay will assume the transaction is good and I will have no recourse or protection if the refund process does not work out. Once everything is settled satisfactory, I will be glad to cancel the request and leave a positive note. Since the carton is still in good shape, the books will be returned to you in the exact same fashion as I have received them.

Edited by Escaflown4

Very strange. In my experience PayPal does not immeditaely pull any funds but rather waits until the case has been resolved. I also don't know why this affected your ability to pay another seller since you should have a bank account and/or credit cards linked to your PayPal as well. Doesn't really add up. Also, why would escaflown4 open a dispute if you had in fact agreed to a return?

I seem to recall that with the split of eBay and Paypal companies that a new method of handling funds was set to take effect around June. It basically froze funds during a dispute and was to handled solely by PayPal. I could be wrong about this but that sounds like what may have happened here.

I think if you enact a return - whether you talked/agreed with the seller before hand -- it sets a rigid set of refunding of monies in motion. It is far more proactive for the buyer getting a refund and somewhat ignores that the seller has not gotten their stuff back. I went through this myself a short while ago. The seller acted as if I had ripped them off. I simply wanted to know where to send them the stuff and how to track it so that it shows in the system I did exactly that. Sadly-- unless the seller approves paying for the return shipping-- the only other action is to simply give a refund. It is silly really-- and I can see sellers getting screwed left and right from it.

Not that this is the case here (or in my case)-- but heaven help us once the scam artists catch on that this is the new method.

And in my case it it went down like this:

1) tried to contact seller about the situation-- no response

2) enacted a return 2 days later, still no seller communication

3) get an email saying the seller has refunded my the money and the return was complete (it wasn't-- I still had the item)

4) could not find ANYTHING on eBay on how to handle this-- either printing a label or tracking the return-- as far as they were concerned the matter was completed.

5) contact the seller on my own to see if they know how to handle this-- they act like I am angling for them to pay return shipping (not the case) but tell me to mail it their address.

6) now the item is shown as complete, delivered, but that I haven't paid for it along with a "return completed" note

So the item is en route to returned right now-- but I have no way of showing this on eBay. I also cannot give the seller positive feedback or vice versa. How is this a better method exactly? It seems like they broke something that was working before.

I'm curious how many people see a low ball offer as a sign of disrespect. Seems silly to me to attach such emotion over it. And for those that do do you also find someone listing a book way above fmv as a sign of disrespect towards buyers?

I'm curious how many people see a low ball offer as a sign of disrespect. Seems silly to me to attach such emotion over it. And for those that do do you also find someone listing a book way above fmv as a sign of disrespect towards buyers?

I don't take offense at them. Sometimes people throw a bid of what they can afford or a bit under that to test the waters. You can always throw back a counter offer to show them you have a much higher value on the item. Typically I find that stops them from sending another low ball.

Sometimes though-- I just ignore it and hit decline. It can be a bit annoying if they are offering some crazy low number and trying to ask for more stuff or special treatment on the shipping on top of that. Those people are typically trouble makers and I will block them if it sounds like they are trying to screw with me. I guess that is taking offense. Or perhaps defense.

When did recognizing disrespect become an emotional response?

The answer to your question is no. The corollary you're looking for is not pricing the item in the first place.

The answer to your question is no. The corollary you're looking for is not pricing the item in the first place.

I think the whole idea of disrespect is an emotional response. So to be clear on your answer then, a seller looking for a sucker by pricing something high is fine, but a buyer doing the same is disrespectful?

I think the whole idea of disrespect is an emotional response.

"Disrespect" isn't an emotion. Emotions are things like "anger", "fear", "joy", things one feels as part of a mental response to circumstances.

"Disrespect" is an action, something one does, not feels.

So to be clear on your answer then, a seller looking for a sucker by pricing something high is fine, but a buyer doing the same is disrespectful?

That is not the answer I gave, no. The buyer is not doing "the same" as the seller, though it may appear so on the surface.

The corollary you are looking for is a seller not pricing their items. That is the corollary to the buyer who makes lowball offers.

I think the whole idea of disrespect is an emotional response.

"Disrespect" isn't an emotion. Emotions are things like "anger", "fear", "joy", things one feels as part of a mental response to circumstances.

"Disrespect" is an action.

So to be clear on your answer then, a seller looking for a sucker by pricing something high is fine, but a buyer doing the same is disrespectful?

That is not the answer I gave, no.

The corollary you are looking for is a seller not pricing their items. That is the corollary to the buyer who makes lowball offers.

I disagree on both points.

On pricing you brought up a buyer looking for a "sucker" to take advantage of with a low ball offer. I see no difference with a seller pricing way high looking for a "sucker".

This has been my problem with this thread and its predecessor from the beginning. There are always two sides to every story. I'm against encouraging others to dump giant unvetted wads of eBay users into their blocked buyers list. Add in the power of Google and the popularity of this site, and this thread has the ability to really hurt someone who is innocently tarnished.

Want a great example of this? The predecessor to this thread was started by a guy who soon found his own eBay account on the list. And as with most of the accused, it was simply added to the list without any discussion or vetting.

what's your eBay ID? :baiting: Edited by jsilverjanet