• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBAY: BLOCKED USER LIST
54 54

8,600 posts in this topic

So I just got a message on eBay from someone asking for a discount claiming to be a disabled army veteran. Normally I am all for it since I have nothing but the highest respect for them. How do you guys normally handle these requests and verify that you're actually dealing with an army veteran? Would this be out of good faith?

If you entertain veteran discounts in your listings, request a pic/scan of this form from the individual asking as proof of their service:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD_Form_214

Just had someone send me a message on a book I have listed with a BIN asking if I would be interested in selling through a Paypal invoice. Obviously that's not allowed and I would lose what little seller protection eBay offers so I'm not responding, but should I block him as well?

Just had someone send me a message on a book I have listed with a BIN asking if I would be interested in selling through a Paypal invoice. Obviously that's not allowed and I would lose what little seller protection eBay offers so I'm not responding, but should I block him a well?

Technically it is not allowed as per ebay rules.

If you decide to do so, you are still protected via Paypal protection as long as you ship the item with tracking.

The one losing here will be ebay. But just like sales in these boards, you will be protected via paypal seller protection.

Consider blocking....or at least avoiding....alcamler as a seller.

Now don't get me wrong. I got a great buy ($.99) on a Suicide Squad #11 (1st Antiphon) and he only charged $2.00 for shipping. When I received the comic today I found out WHY it was only $2.00.

When I pulled the envelope out of our mailbox, I could immediately tell there was no protection (envelope was flimsy). I took pictures as I opened the package. The comic was placed in one of those clear paper holders that go in a notebook and placed in a large manila envelope. That's it. No comic backing board, no cardboard sandwich. Not even a "DO NOT BEND" anywhere on the package. :facepalm:

I did send him an eBay message basically instructing him on how to avoid any problems with future buyers. I also gave the seller the benefit of the doubt and left him positive feedback although I did say in my comment that the packaging did need improvement. I still got a great deal on the comic and it arrived reasonably intact. But what if it was a $100 or $200 comic - would it have been shipped the same way?

Here's an update on this. I approached the seller in a "non-attacking" way and it proved fruitful. My message first:

"Dear alcamler,

I received my comic in today's mail. I cringed when I pulled it out of our mailbox and felt how flimsy the package was. No cardboard backing/sandwich, no "DO NOT BEND" anywhere on the package, not even a regular comic backing board. I'm not sure how many comic books you've sold in the past, but this is NOT the way to ship them.

I buy and sell comics (mostly online) for a living now. You'll save yourself some headaches with future buyers by placing the comic(s) between 2 pieces of slightly oversized cardboard and taping all 4 sides. Then place the sandwich in an envelope like the one you used to ship mine. I ship this way all the time via 1st Class Mail and the most it ever costs me is about $2.50-2.75. I know you only charged $2.00 to ship this comic, but most comic collectors will gladly pay an extra 50 to 75 cents to ensure their purchase arrives in the advertised condition.

I'm still happy with the purchase as I got it for only 99 cents. I will leave positive feedback.

-mikesmarvels1957"

And his response:

"Dear mikesmarvels1957,

Thank you Mike for your suggestion. I have sold a lot of items but I haven't sold comic books so this is new for me. I thought just putting them into a plastic sleeve holder would be good enough, plus I really expected that people would order 4 or 5 at a time, which would protect them more, but I do understand your suggestion and I will have to adjust my shipping cost to reflect the extra weight. I was trying to keep the shipping cost down as much as possible.

Does the "Do not bend" on the package really matter to the USPS? I have always felt that they don't really care about writing on the outside of packages.

Thanks again for your suggestion and your purchase. (oh, and your positive feedback)

- alcamler"

So I'll give him another opportunity some day soon. (thumbs u

Nope

I had a guy showing me his modern X Mens once - he was telling me how they were worth $20,000 each-he said and they're in great condition.

Those things were ragged. Even with the board covers they use he had mangled em pretty good.

Now don't get me wrong. I got a great buy ($.99) on a Suicide Squad #11 (1st Antiphon) and he only charged $2.00 for shipping. When I received the comic today I found out WHY it was only $2.00.

When I pulled the envelope out of our mailbox, I could immediately tell there was no protection (envelope was flimsy). I took pictures as I opened the package. The comic was placed in one of those clear paper holders that go in a notebook and placed in a large manila envelope. That's it. No comic backing board, no cardboard sandwich. Not even a "DO NOT BEND" anywhere on the package. :facepalm:

I did send him an eBay message basically instructing him on how to avoid any problems with future buyers. I also gave the seller the benefit of the doubt and left him positive feedback although I did say in my comment that the packaging did need improvement. I still got a great deal on the comic and it arrived reasonably intact. But what if it was a $100 or $200 comic - would it have been shipped the same way?

Here's an update on this. I approached the seller in a "non-attacking" way and it proved fruitful. My message first:

"Dear alcamler,

I received my comic in today's mail. I cringed when I pulled it out of our mailbox and felt how flimsy the package was. No cardboard backing/sandwich, no "DO NOT BEND" anywhere on the package, not even a regular comic backing board. I'm not sure how many comic books you've sold in the past, but this is NOT the way to ship them.

I buy and sell comics (mostly online) for a living now. You'll save yourself some headaches with future buyers by placing the comic(s) between 2 pieces of slightly oversized cardboard and taping all 4 sides. Then place the sandwich in an envelope like the one you used to ship mine. I ship this way all the time via 1st Class Mail and the most it ever costs me is about $2.50-2.75. I know you only charged $2.00 to ship this comic, but most comic collectors will gladly pay an extra 50 to 75 cents to ensure their purchase arrives in the advertised condition.

I'm still happy with the purchase as I got it for only 99 cents. I will leave positive feedback.

-mikesmarvels1957"

And his response:

"Dear mikesmarvels1957,

Thank you Mike for your suggestion. I have sold a lot of items but I haven't sold comic books so this is new for me. I thought just putting them into a plastic sleeve holder would be good enough, plus I really expected that people would order 4 or 5 at a time, which would protect them more, but I do understand your suggestion and I will have to adjust my shipping cost to reflect the extra weight. I was trying to keep the shipping cost down as much as possible.

Does the "Do not bend" on the package really matter to the USPS? I have always felt that they don't really care about writing on the outside of packages.

Thanks again for your suggestion and your purchase. (oh, and your positive feedback)

- alcamler"

Glad to see you had a reasonable seller, who responded in a reasonable manner. I had a similar situation, gave a similar feedback, and got a much different response. I bid (above the minimum $5 bid) on a book that I was the only bidder, so won for $5 with free shipping. Got a book much like yours, pretty much no protection. It was a good deal, and a VG book to start with, so it didn't get messed up much, so I sent this:

Just wanted to let you know I received the book, thanks. Also, you should know, comic collectors are pretty particular about condition on their books, and if you continue to sell comics and ship them like you did this one, you are likely to get complaints and returns. I understand it was free shipping, and did not sell for much, but at a minimum there should be a piece of stiff cardboard on either side of the book to hold it rigid - just the book in a bag and board inside a thin envelope provides zero protection. It worked out okay this time, but given what I've seen of the Post Office handling of a real box, this was pure luck. Just some friendly advice.

Pretty polite, I thought - didn't complain about my book, just some advice for the future. This is the response:

Thanks for your comments. Glad you received your purchase without any damage. Its amusing that a serious comic book collector would purchase a $5.00 comic with free shipping without considering the extra cost of better packaging or insurance. Seriously, I am not a comic book collector. just someone that has a few that I would like to get rid of. If I had added packing material to this shipment, I would have realized very little money from the transaction and would be better off just trashing or donating my small collection.

I should point out it was mailed First Class, and from the postage printed on the package I know it would have cost maybe 30 cents more to put cardboard around the book.

"Dear alcamler,

-mikesmarvels1957"

And his response:

"Dear mikesmarvels1957,

- alcamler"

Glad to see you had a reasonable seller, who responded in a reasonable manner. I had a similar situation, gave a similar feedback, and got a much different response. I bid (above the minimum $5 bid) on a book that I was the only bidder, so won for $5 with free shipping. Got a book much like yours, pretty much no protection. It was a good deal, and a VG book to start with, so it didn't get messed up much, so I sent this:

Just wanted to let you know I received the book, thanks. Also, you should know, comic collectors are pretty particular about condition on their books, and if you continue to sell comics and ship them like you did this one, you are likely to get complaints and returns. I understand it was free shipping, and did not sell for much, but at a minimum there should be a piece of stiff cardboard on either side of the book to hold it rigid - just the book in a bag and board inside a thin envelope provides zero protection. It worked out okay this time, but given what I've seen of the Post Office handling of a real box, this was pure luck. Just some friendly advice.

Pretty polite, I thought - didn't complain about my book, just some advice for the future. This is the response:

Thanks for your comments. Glad you received your purchase without any damage. Its amusing that a serious comic book collector would purchase a $5.00 comic with free shipping without considering the extra cost of better packaging or insurance. Seriously, I am not a comic book collector. just someone that has a few that I would like to get rid of. If I had added packing material to this shipment, I would have realized very little money from the transaction and would be better off just trashing or donating my small collection.

I should point out it was mailed First Class, and from the postage printed on the package I know it would have cost maybe 30 cents more to put cardboard around the book.

I think many of us have been in this situation and I would point out a few differences between your message versus the previous poster. He added a part in there about being willing to pay additional shipping to ensure better packing.

The other thing that I try to do is sort of investigate the seller prior to making a bid. I look at the types of things they have sold, even if they have a high feedback rating. Even this is not foolproof of course. Sometimes you assume a little bit of care based on previous sales of comics and glowing feedback. Kind of the reason I will point out that the shipping was lacking even if I was satisfied with a purchase and gave positive feedback -- to alert the next customer to communicate those needs prior to shipping.

Now even that is not completely foolproof either. I have sent newbie comic sellers some information including pictures but they don't always follow the basic instructions. It seems second nature to most of us. I had someone reply to my shipping advice positively and they did everything except one crucial step (wrapping the books in plastic or some sort of protective material beyond the cardboard sandwich) -- and ended up taping the books edges. I was somewhat fortunate that one of the books was oversize (and it was a real dog of a book-- not the focus of what I was trying to acquire thankfully) -- that beat book took most of the tape damage. The sad part of it-- it wasn't costing them anything more to add more packing material-- they sent it in a flat rate envelope. That really annoys me-- you have a free range of weight in those -- why not go the extra mile and add as much cardboard as possible to keep it from being bent?

I kind of laugh sometimes at packages I send in those flat rate envelopes. I apply a "please don't bend" and "fragile" pre-printed slips-- but usually I have so much cardboard surrounded the books that it would take quite an effort to bend anything.

FYI--- in case you want some pre-printed stuff to cut and tape onto those envelopes. here they are to save and print yourself:

8uAsyqB.jpg

317cgiw.jpg

So I just got a message on eBay from someone asking for a discount claiming to be a disabled army veteran. Normally I am all for it since I have nothing but the highest respect for them. How do you guys normally handle these requests and verify that you're actually dealing with an army veteran? Would this be out of good faith?

If you entertain veteran discounts in your listings, request a pic/scan of this form from the individual asking as proof of their service:

Ive never see that one. I always discount active members as soon as I see the APO address.

Not eBay but Etsy...

Seems like a scam to me? Low priced for an AF 2.5 cgc grade. Also user is brand new.

How protected are you through PayPal if he sends you a print and not the comic?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/236940680/amazing-fantasy-15-cgc-25-rare-blue

hard to say what is going on there-- how can anyone send a slabbed book first class for 5.99?

Ive never see that one. I always discount active members as soon as I see the APO address.

The APO addy is good verification as well. I personally like to thank you, Escaflown4, and/or other eBay sellers that offer vet discounts, active or retired. As a vet myself, it's very much appreciated.

I never ask for discounts; serving my country & retuning home to family, friends, and the beloved hobbies is good enough for me... (thumbs u

I suggest blocking user samhunter09

This person bought an expensive book. I mailed it priority, insured and with sig confirmation the day payment was received. Messaged him after book was sent and when it would arrive. . Tracking shows book was signed for and delivered. He now claims he didn't receive the book and requested a refund or a replacement book.

Post office info says signed by H.H. but buyer initials are S.M. Saw a picture of sig and it doesn't look like anything to me at all. Impossible to make out any initials. Looks like chicken scratch. But the signer did put down the address number and street name that is clear.

eBay ruled in my favor on this case.

Turns out that the buyer's wife gave verbal authorization to the postal carrier to leave all packages on the door step even when sig confirmation was purchased. Postal carrier signed for the package.

Buyer knew when package was going to arrive and did not make sure someone was available to sign for this $1000 book. He messaged me the day it was delivered to say he was depressed that he did not get the book and tracking shows it was delivered.

Take a look I think its a scam I never heard of how he is saying CGC works...rdactyl1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261928473923?&autorefresh=true

ebayscam.jpg

The breaking news here is that apparently Stan Lee is no longer signing anything (he's 94? try 92 but hey, details amirite?) . SO the amount of Stan Lee signatures is very limited.

Take a look I think its a scam I never heard of how he is saying CGC works...rdactyl1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261928473923?&autorefresh=true

ebayscam.jpg

I had a similar interaction with this seller when I asked about the Hulk 181 SS that he had some $6k BIN/OBO on. Took him a month to get back to me on whether there was a guarantee of yellow label & not green or purple. Needless to say... I backed very slowly away from that potential transaction.