• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
26 26

6,381 posts in this topic

On 4/30/2024 at 4:41 PM, Mmehdy said:

Great video on Ha. on the Roger Hill memorial at Windy City on the June  20 Signature auction listing ... it's on YouTube too so maybe a member can link it up. It appears HA is getting the roger hill EC collection...the OA pieces  that are l listed are amazing just WOWWWWW

Wasn't sure which video you were talking about, but did find this one regarding Roger Hill :

Posted (edited)

Roger Hill's EC collection is being sold by HA.COM in a separate auction on Aug 22,2024. Some of the books are up on that auction including tales of terror anns 1-3 and WSF Annuals 1-2 etc, TFT anns 1/2...should be a good one!!!!!!

Edited by Mmehdy

On 5/1/2024 at 8:22 AM, Robot Man said:

Roger was one of the earliest EC super collectors. He was in the right place at the right time to hook up with the right people. Probably one of the best EC collections. I can’t even imagine what all he was able to collect. And a heck of a great guy. He is missed by all of us Ghoulantics…

Go to Heritage to see some of his collection coming up for auction in June, mind blowing amount of cool EC collectables!

On 3/3/2024 at 3:41 PM, OtherEric said:

So, as promised, I went to the Oni Press panel at ECCC today, and did ask a couple questions. 

They're serious about presenting these as EC books, the issues won't even have an Oni logo on them.  They're consciously trying to position themselves as "what sort of comics would EC be doing in 2024 if they hadn't disappeared", which is part of why they're doing new titles rather than just revivals of old ones.  They weren't quite ready to announce the third title, but they did say it's in a genre that classic EC never exactly did, but it's adjacent.  They are planning to do books that aren't anthologies as they go on.  They said the books were going to be definitely R rated, which I didn't consider totally reassuring- more because saying something is R rated can mean too many different things, not all of them good.  The elaborated by saying they felt current comics were too often playing it safe, looking for how can this become a movie or TV show or something else other than a comic, and that they wanted to feel a bit dangerous.  I can get behind that idea a lot more.  They are going to be using a font based directly on the Leroy Lettering, which is good... although I did tell them to make sure to switch to something else if they did wind up doing a war comic.

Overall, I came away feeling like the project is being run by people who have a clear idea of what they want to do and a strong urge to be true to the spirit of the EC's, while not doing a simple homage.  I'm not sure if they'll succeed, or even if success is possible 70 years later, but I do have the impression that they're coming at the project from a good angle, rather than just relying on people recognizing the names of the books.

IMG_2320.jpeg

IMG_2319.jpeg

IMG_2318.jpeg

Anybody know when these will be hitting the racks?

Posted (edited)

@Robot Man
I had my LCS place these on my pull list.

EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS #1 | July 2024 

CRUEL UNIVERSE #1 | August 2024

EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS #2 | August 2024 

CRUEL UNIVERSE #2 | September 2024 

EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS #3 | September 2024 

CRUEL UNIVERSE #3 | October 2024 

Edited by BitterOldMan

Since Roger Hills complete EC collection is hitting the market, besides TTA#1 what New Trend  comic book not MAG would be the rarest and also pre trend? Opinions?

On 5/6/2024 at 10:16 AM, Mmehdy said:

Since Roger Hills complete EC collection is hitting the market, besides TTA#1 what New Trend  comic book not MAG would be the rarest and also pre trend? Opinions?

I would think the short lived Crypt of Terror series might qualify, if those are in his collection.

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 3:59 PM, Robot Man said:

Crime Patrol #15,16, War Against crime #10,11 and Vault of Horror #12?. Several Pre-Trends as well. 

Vault 12 would be a good one,  that is in the sale so far and CGC graded and the super rare WS 21 Canadian Edition signed by Ray Bradbury and CGC graded

Edited by Mmehdy

Vault 12 isn’t all that rare just expensive. Canadian issues are a lot tougher to find from a collecting perspective. The pre trend books are a lot harder to put a set together. The giveaways are near impossible. I’m pretty sure Roger had a complete set of all the newstand editions. 

Canadian editions of the EC Sci Fi fare had always been cheaper than the American printed ones, since they used inferior plates, and it showed with inferior printed pages. I'm not sure though if there's a discernable difference in the covers, which would really be all that matters in a slabbed copy.  None of mine are slabbed, but I really don't see a difference in the covers, just the interior pages.

On 5/5/2024 at 7:41 PM, Mmehdy said:

Roger Hill's EC collection is being sold by HA.COM in a separate auction on Aug 22,2024. Some of the books are up on that auction including tales of terror anns 1-3 and WSF Annuals 1-2 etc, TFT anns 1/2...should be a good one!!!!!!

@Mmehdy are you saying Roger’s Tales Of Terror Annual #1 is up on Heritage now? I looked and couldn’t find it.

On 5/8/2024 at 3:40 PM, fifties said:

Canadian editions of the EC Sci Fi fare had always been cheaper than the American printed ones, since they used inferior plates, and it showed with inferior printed pages. I'm not sure though if there's a discernable difference in the covers, which would really be all that matters in a slabbed copy.  None of mine are slabbed, but I really don't see a difference in the covers, just the interior pages.

On the covers of any of your Canadian versions, does it say "CDL" on them?

Posted (edited)
On 5/8/2024 at 5:04 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

@Mmehdy are you saying Roger’s Tales Of Terror Annual #1 is up on Heritage now? I looked and couldn’t find it.

Do you know what grade his was?  I see this one in auction #7374 which, I think is the auction of his items based up on this link.  Unlike other lots, though, the Tales of Terror Annual #1 lot doesn't say "From the Roger Hill Collection" in the description, so you probably won't get it if you just search for "Roger Hill".  So I don't know if that's really from his collection or not.

Edited by Telegan