• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

You are seeing a comic book that many thought did not exist. This is the cover of IF AN A-BOMB FALLS. This COLD WAR CIVIL DEFENSE COMIC BOOK was produced in 1951, at the height of ATOMIC PARANOIA.

The rarity of this comic book cannot be overstated. This comic book is not even supposed to exist. According to an authoritative article about this publisher:

If an A-Bomb Falls (U S Government, 1951, 8 pages) Rare. Designed as a brochure, but only published as a color strip on the front page of the Washington Post in July 1951. Only a few hand bound copies of the brochure were made. 2 copies are believed to exist.

Well, here is another copy of this rare comic book. Perhaps this copy was hand-bound and assembled and distributed by the Civil Defense Directors of RALEIGH COUNTY, West Virginia whose names are stamped on the back cover - HAROLD SOPHER and PAUL FOURNEY[/i]

Does anyone know anything about this book?

I confirmed with Malcolm's son that only two handstiched copies were made and some copies were later stapled together, but even so, that is an extremely rare book to own. hail.gif The two handstitched copies are from Malcolm Ater's personal collection. Malcolm's son also confirmed the substance of the aforementioned article.

You are seeing a comic book that many thought did not exist. This is the cover of IF AN A-BOMB FALLS. This COLD WAR CIVIL DEFENSE COMIC BOOK was produced in 1951, at the height of ATOMIC PARANOIA.

The rarity of this comic book cannot be overstated. This comic book is not even supposed to exist. According to an authoritative article about this publisher:

If an A-Bomb Falls (U S Government, 1951, 8 pages) Rare. Designed as a brochure, but only published as a color strip on the front page of the Washington Post in July 1951. Only a few hand bound copies of the brochure were made. 2 copies are believed to exist.

Well, here is another copy of this rare comic book. Perhaps this copy was hand-bound and assembled and distributed by the Civil Defense Directors of RALEIGH COUNTY, West Virginia whose names are stamped on the back cover - HAROLD SOPHER and PAUL FOURNEY[/i]

Does anyone know anything about this book?

I confirmed with Malcolm's son that only two handstiched copies were made and some copies were later stapled together, but even so, that is an extremely rare book to own. hail.gif The two handstitched copies are from Malcolm Ater's personal collection. Malcolm's son also confirmed the substance of the aforementioned article.

So how many copies does that make? I have the one. And Borock told me this past weekend that CGC just graded one! 893whatthe.gif

Does Alter's son still have the two copies?

So how many copies does that make? I have the one. And Borock told me this

past weekend that CGC just graded one! 893whatthe.gif

Does Alter's son still have the two copies?

Malcolm's son owns the slabbed copy that was submitted to CGC.

I don't know the whereabouts of the other copy.

Your copy makes three known copies in existence. gossip.gif

Esquire,

Is that the Impact Press variant of the Red Iceberg?

I knew you were going to ask that! I was scanning that baby in at 3 am and said to myself, I should scan the back as well cause HD is only going to ask which version it is anyway! poke2.gif

I believe it is the third version, i.e., has the explanation of the comic on the back.

Any idea of how many of these books exist? popcorn.gif

Hey Esquire,

Though "The Red Iceberg" is a silver age book (1960), I wanted to take this opportunity to post all of the known variants (6) so you can verify which copy you may have. Note that it took me over twenty years to acquire these books so don't underestimate the rarity of "The Red Iceberg" if broken down by variant. The below books represent five of the six certified copies. My personal opinion is that the “Impact Press" variant is the most common with less than 20 copies in existence. All other variants are rare.

Chicago Inter-Student Catholic Action back cover

Impact Press back cover

Explain Comic back cover

Florida LP Gas Association back cover

We the People back cover

World Wide Sacred Heart Program back cover

Here is a book that I recently picked up that falls in the same vein as your purchase. I do not believe this 5x7 giveaway comic is listed in the Overstreet Price Guide. This book came from the personal files of Malcolm Ater, publisher for Commercial Comics.

938068-TheH-BombandYou.jpg

The seller writes the following:

THE H-BOMB AND YOU"

This VERY SCARCE 20-page book, including a 4-page slick cover that shows the very first government tested EXPLOSION of the H-BOMB (the first time it was ever shown to the public) was originally designed as a promotional giveaway of survival and preparedness tips in case of an H-Bomb attack. All it did was cause ENDLESS NIGHTMARES for the children who read it! One of the most FRIGHTENING and TRUE stories of "WHAT IS TO COME" and it was produced for the U.S. GOVERNMENT under advisement of Federal and Civil Defense advisors, and the American Red Cross! Published by COMMERCIAL COMICS. Written by MALCOLM ATER. Art by JACK SPARLING.

This is NOT a story you would have wanted your kids to read back in 1955! IT'S SCARY! The story opens with a teacher showing her class a movie about the H-Bomb, and her students naturally think the bomb will WIPE OUT ENTIRE CITIES and that everyone will be KILLED! So she explains that they always must be prepared for survival and relates how in the past "No matter how powerful a weapon seemed at first, ways were always found to offset its effects and survive..." And she goes on to explain that "The best defense against the H-Bomb is a well-trained CIVIL DEFENSE."

A few days later a Civil Defense guy comes by to talk to the students. He tells them of OPERATION SKYWATCH, the goal of which is to have 24,000 observation posts around the country where any enemy aircraft can be seen or heard, telling them no city or town in the United States is out of reach of enemy bombers. (You want your kids to hear this?) He goes on to say how unprepared we were for PEARL HARBOR, and that if WW III came, enemy planes and missles would get through to AMERICAN TARGETS with LOSS OF LIFE and PROPERTY DAMAGE sure to be high! (Again, I don't know if I'd want this dude telling my children all this stuff!) He goes on to say that, "We Americans must get used to the threat of WAR AS A NEW WAY OF LIFE."

Finally the guy tells everyone what they can do to help prepare for Civil Defense; the jobs for boys, the jobs for girls, jobs for mothers and jobs for fathers. Everyone gets involved! He says that every family within a 15-mile target area should have a shelter, preferably an underground concrete shelter in the yard. He further suggests everyone learn how to give first aid, because if there is an attack there wil be HEAVY CASUALTIES! But the good news is that if there is a warning of attack, it is important to KEEP CALM!

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Awesome book!!!

My latest acquisition for the collection: the French-Canadian version of "Is This Tomorrow". Not the best copy in the world, but then again this is a Gerber "8" so I wasn't taking any chances of missing an opportunity to pick it up.

AQuandNotreTour.jpg

Here is my Canadian version published out of Montreal. The content and -script were changed from the American counterpart book.

Printed in 1947 by Fides Publishing in association with the Catechetical Guild.

Does anyone know the Gerber rating for this book?

IsThisTomorrowFidesPublisherMontrea.jpg

Here is my Canadian version published out of Montreal. The content and -script were changed from the American counterpart book.

Gerber rates the American one shown as an SI of 7. Your Canadian (aka French) version earns an SI of 8. That ain't hay!

Esquire,

Is that the Impact Press variant of the Red Iceberg?

I knew you were going to ask that! I was scanning that baby in at 3 am and said to myself, I should scan the back as well cause HD is only going to ask which version it is anyway! poke2.gif

I believe it is the third version, i.e., has the explanation of the comic on the back.

Any idea of how many of these books exist? popcorn.gif

Hey Esquire,

Though "The Red Iceberg" is a silver age book (1960), I wanted to take this opportunity to post all of the known variants (6) so you can verify which copy you may have. Note that it took me over twenty years to acquire these books so don't underestimate the rarity of "The Red Iceberg" if broken down by variant. The below books represent five of the six certified copies. My personal opinion is that the “Impact Press" variant is the most common with less than 20 copies in existence. All other variants are rare.

HD, yes, you are correct. After comparing the back covers the one I purchased is the "common" Impact Press variant. Thanks so much for posting the different versions. I am on a mission now! headbang.gif

Does anybody other than me and Harv have an America Menaced? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I keep asking about this book when I come into contact with dealers, and nobody seems to own one or remember selling one...

For years, I thought my restored copy was the only one in existence. I have never seen another copy outside of your 9.6. If anyone does have a copy, I suspect it would ebay buyer paperpeddler. Nonetheless, this book is uber rare. gossip.gif

Mine's the Lost Valley copy, so it's understandable why one would think there were no other copies floating around....I gather that Lost Valley was a relatively recent find, with most of the keys only coming to market a couple years ago.

The chump/chimp is such a cool book! And the Church copy to boot. 893whatthe.gif

The Soviet ROBOT ARMY!!

sus6a.jpg

Another stupendous splash from Everett.

What comics is that from????