• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Anti-Communist Comics!
8 8

638 posts in this topic

I was going to pass on this book; however, at the last moment, I changed my mind.

I bought it because it fits nicely into my core collecting pursuits.

In addition, I want to go toe to toe with Esquire on these scarce books. poke2.gif

Does anyone know anything about this comic? Overstreet and CGC note the publisher

as Joe Lowe Co. but the Heritage Archives documents the CGC 9.2 with a back cover stating

"Published by Pictorial Media Inc. ..." and "Reprinted for Western Electric Booklet Rack

Service for Employees." It is worth pointing out that Pictorial Media also published

"The Story of Light. Adventures in Electricity" for General Electric Company, 1949.

Was this book distributed only to electric company employees or did it get wider distribution?

Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

With five copies certified at 9.2 or above, it is evident that the rumored stash does exist.

How many copies are in existence? Given the 9.2 reprint comment, how many printings did

this book go through? I suspect there are still less than one-hundred copies that have survived. confused-smiley-013.gif

Heritage Archive View for Larger pick.

1073855-HowStalinHopestoDestroyAmerica.jpg

1073855-HowStalinHopestoDestroyAmerica.jpg.c93bb3d04391522bde37f3572e8d6cd9.jpg

Edited by Harvey Dude

Great books, Esq. You're off to nice start in picking up the commercial anti-commie material.

These aren't comics, but these are part of set of bubblegum cards: "The Children's Crusade Against Communism". These are my two favorites but there are quite a few good ones. I've scanned the back of the Mao card to give you an idea of what they are like, but the text for each one is different. This is the only card set I've collected because it seemed to fit so well with the Atomic Age theme of some of my books.

1050288-RedMenaceMao.jpg

I lucked out this past week and was able to purchase approximately half this set in very nice condition. Got them for a real steal, IMHO.

Does anyone know the story behind their origin?

Here is one inside page of the "How Stalin Hopes We Will Destroy America" comic published in 1951.

1073881-stalininside.jpg

The obvious flaw in this line of thinking was that the USSR destroyed it's own economy in no small part trying to accomplish such a goal. The Chinese Communists, on the other hand, seemed to have figured out a way to undermine US economic dominance while making money on the deal.

Sure they had to abandon much of the ideology of communism in the process, but ideology is little more than a means to power for much of the world anyway.

I'd like to thank you guys very much for this forum. I am a history student at Southern Illinois University doing research on anti-communist literature from the 1950's when I came across this thread of posts I nearly wet myself!

If anyone would like to talk shop about these comics with me for my thesis paper I'd greatly appreciate it.

Please contact me if you're interested, I will make sure to give this forum full credit for what I find, as well as including personal thanks in my paper to anyone who is willing to give me some insight!

*sorry for the OT post*

I'd like to thank you guys very much for this forum. I am a history student at Southern Illinois University doing research on anti-communist literature from the 1950's when I came across this thread of posts I nearly wet myself!

If anyone would like to talk shop about these comics with me for my thesis paper I'd greatly appreciate it.

Please contact me if you're interested, I will make sure to give this forum full credit for what I find, as well as including personal thanks in my paper to anyone who is willing to give me some insight!

*sorry for the OT post*

As long as it's related to the topic on commie comics, it's "on topic."

What kinds of things would you like to know? I'm sure I and others can help if given a little more direction.

I had never seen this one for sale before when it finally popped up on e-bay and I fortunately snagged it. It was published in the 1950s by Johnstone and Cushing. Great anti-communism content against the USSR and North Korea. Except for a slight crease in the lower right corner the book is in amazing shape. Really interesting type of paper too. Glossy and thick.

1163622-Korea.jpg

I have a friend from the former soviet union and asked her if there were soviet equivilents of these sorts of comics and she said that she remembers there were. Unfortunately I have not had any luck finding examples on the net, but it would be interesting to see some of these.

I have a friend from the former soviet union and asked her if there were soviet equivilents of these sorts of comics and she said that she remembers there were. Unfortunately I have not had any luck finding examples on the net, but it would be interesting to see some of these.

That would definitely be very interesting to see!

She'll be back in town in a week, I'll see if I can get her to do a search on it the russian google. I've come up blank searching in english. Worth mentioning that she said those were actually the only comics.

Hey look! Another copy of Blood is the Harvest has surfaced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6614154105&fromMakeTrack=true

Wish I had the budget for it...

For a comic that's supposed to be so rare, it sure seems to come up for sale often. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We knew about this copy. In fact the owner is a forumite and it has been discussed on the boards. I also know about one other raw copy. That still only makes 16 known copies I believe.

Hey look! Another copy of Blood is the Harvest has surfaced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6614154105&fromMakeTrack=true

Wish I had the budget for it...

For a comic that's supposed to be so rare, it sure seems to come up for sale often. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We knew about this copy. In fact the owner is a forumite and it has been discussed on the boards. I also know about one other raw copy. That still only makes 16 known copies I believe.

And my friend has a copy as well, so that's 17. But his is beat (1/3 the cover is missing).