• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

DOCTOR STRANGE May Be Marvel's "Very Dark" FANTASIA Says DOP; Vague Concept Art Details

During an interview with Screen Daily, Ben Davis said that Doctor Strange "has a very psychedelic grounding" and that it's "not your typical Marvel action movie." He then revealed his initial reaction to the project and compared it to an original Disney animated classic. "Most of the work within it is about other dimensions," he explained. "And I described it, I think, when I was talking to Marvel as Marvel’s Fantasia, in a way, because it’s so sort of out there and different to everything else that they’ve done." Ben Davis continued talking up how Doctor Strange will be visually unique for the MCU and perhaps the superhero movie genre in general. "There’s a lot of previsualisation, and there’s a lot of work which is very hard," he continued. "You look at it and you see the imagery that they’ve created for it and you think, ‘well how the hell do we shoot that!?’ because it’s all sort of Escher stuff. It’s all very out there. I can’t really say much more about it, I’m afraid. But I think it’ll be really interesting, and it’s a very dark movie, I’m pleased to say. [DOPs] always love the word 'dark'. The trouble is that most producers don’t like dark. Mostly you get into [Digital Intermediate process] and people don’t seem to like dark anymore!"

Doctor Strange Concept Art Reveals Costume at D23

strange-147830.png

Marvel fans have their first look at the new Doctor Strange, courtesy Disney's Marvel presentation at D23.

The convention, which is owned and operated by Disney, took the place of a Comic-Con panel for Marvel Studios this year, and had the handy bonus of giving newly-in-development films a little extra time to get presentation materials together for the fans.

Surprisingly, the film costume is very similar to the version from the comics (seen above), cape and all. Most of us had assumed that it would it carry over the general tone of the classic Doctor Strange uniform with the somewhat more muted colors and general aesthetic shared by most of the Marvel Studios costumes.

Someone commented on that page where they speak about Tilda Swinton's casting:

I know this is supposed to be a controversial casting...but given how stereotypical and potentially troubling it probably would've been to keep this accurate and have an Asian portray this role, plus seeing how talented Tilda Swinton is as an actress, I'm 100% on board with this

Now, leaving aside how good she could be in acting as the Ancient One (as a male, of course)… "stereotypical and potentially troubling"? Are we kidding? :facepalm:

During an interview with Screen Daily, Ben Davis said that Doctor Strange "has a very psychedelic grounding" and that it's "not your typical Marvel action movie."

I loved Adams in True Detective...she can definitely act.

I'm also liking the quote above.

This is starting to look like a Marvel movie which will NOT only hold appeal to the hardcore 40 year old virgin fan base as well as the mainstream/casual superhero movie fans, like all the rest of the Marvel and DC movies that have been made so far.

It looks like it may have an appeal for people who tend to gravitate towards darker dramatic thrillers, as well.....which would be very big, for a movie like this.This would be a first for *any* movie that originated from comic books.

That costume does not point towards a darker dramatic thriller.

Maybe, but I don't think it will stop the movie from going darker. I think there are plenty of successful darker-toned movies with some pretty grandiose outfits. lol

Let's hope so.

From Variety:

“Hannibal” star Mads Mikkelsen is in early talks to play one of the villains in Marvel’s “Doctor Strange” opposite Benedict Cumberbatch, Variety has learned exclusively. While sources say no offer has been delivered, one is expected shortly. Marvel had no comment on Mikkelsen’s involvement.

Tilda Swinton and Chiwetel Ejiofor are on board to co-star. Scott Derrickson is directing the comic book movie from a -script by Jon Spaihts. Marvel’s Kevin Feige will produce.

Cumberbatch will play Stephen Vincent Strange, a former neurosurgeon who becomes the next Sorcerer Supreme and primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats. Marvel Comics artist Steve Ditko created the character in 1963. Swinton will play Strange’s mentor, The Ancient One, while Ejiofor will appear as Baron Mordo, who also studies magic under The Ancient One in the comic books, before becoming Doctor Strange’s nemesis.

Mikkelsen’s exact role remains under wraps, but sources say he will be another antagonist to Cumberbatch’s titular sorcerer.

“Doctor Strange” will debut on Nov. 4, 2016 with production set to start late this year.

Marvel has been interested in Mikkelsen for some time, at one point courting him for the villainous Malekith in “Thor: The Dark World,” until Mikkelsen won the role of the titular cannibal in NBC’s “Hannibal” and was no longer available. The Malekith role eventually went to Christopher Eccleston.

If accepted, this would be Mikkelsen’s second high-profile role in the wake of “Hannibal’s” cancellation — he’ll also appear in “Star Wars: Rogue One,” which will hit theaters on December 16, 2016. He is repped by UTA and Art Management.

My money is on Dormammu!

My greatest hope with this movie is that it makes me feel like I'm having flashbacks to doing LSD in my buddy's back yard in highschool.

You don't need to wait for the movie. Just hang out with me for one weekend.

My greatest hope with this movie is that it makes me feel like I'm having flashbacks to doing LSD in my buddy's back yard in highschool.

You don't need to wait for the movie. Just hang out with me for one weekend.

lol