• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Switching ethnicities is hit or miss. The problems with Michael B. Jordan are:

1. Human Torch is one of the bigger named characters. Kinda like making Wolverine a black guy…just doesn't fit. And yes, I know that they got an Australian to play a Canadian but you cannot tell the difference visually right?

2. Human Torch has a sister…who in this movie is not black. So I understand they're doing the whole "Susan was adopted" thing which is great for PC…not for a comic book movie where they are actual blood siblings. Why add in a complicated story of adoption when it doesn't need to be there? Just so the director can hire his pal? Bah!!!

As far a Mordo being black….does it really matter? Is there such thing as a die-hard Baron Mordo fan? He's not a huge character who is well known and his being black doesn't change the story or affect it in any way.

This also goes with Tilda Swinton playing The Ancient One…not a huge character…gender doesn't affect the story.

1. Human Torch is one of the bigger named characters. Kinda like making Wolverine a black guy…just doesn't fit. And yes, I know that they got an Australian to play a Canadian but you cannot tell the difference visually right?

2. Human Torch has a sister…who in this movie is not black. So I understand they're doing the whole "Susan was adopted" thing which is great for PC…not for a comic book movie where they are actual blood siblings. Why add in a complicated story of adoption when it doesn't need to be there? Just so the director can hire his pal? Bah!!!

As far a Mordo being black….does it really matter? Is there such thing as a die-hard Baron Mordo fan? He's not a huge character who is well known and his being black doesn't change the story or affect it in any way.

This also goes with Tilda Swinton playing The Ancient One…not a huge character…gender doesn't affect the story.

Agree with this... I think he would have made a GREAT voodoo but alas.

Is Johnny Storm that mainstream of a character there is a huge need to protect his overall character makeup? I thought his biggest claim to fame was the team he belongs to. I'm not sure there is a Johnny Storm Fan Club. Is there?

I'm fine with the change. It worked out great for Nick Fury within Marvel, whether an Ultimates representation or otherwise. It's just another story being told from a different viewpoint.

Interestingly enough, I rewatched the 2003 film The Human Stain last night, which was based on the Roth Novel of the same name.

In it Anthony Hopkins plays the lead character, who is Negro.

I'd say black, but those familiar with the story would know that the term "black" would not necessarily be accurate.

It deals with the theme of Identity and the phenomenon of shame in context with the pattern of political correctness attempting to counter America's history of racism.

The film reminded me of the fact that there's actually more diversity between individuals of any particular "race" than there is variation between these groups ("races").

Most biologists agree race is a social construct, not a biological one.

I would conclude that disagreements about casting actors for specific roles is more about skin color than about some arbitrary social category.

And I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

I am wondering, as a rhetorical question, regarding the aspect of skin color alone, how close would the skin color have to be for a casting choice to be universally accepted?

edit: Would using an OWL card be appropriate? :grin:

Is Johnny Storm that mainstream of a character there is a huge need to protect his overall character makeup? I thought his biggest claim to fame was the team he belongs to. I'm not sure there is a Johnny Storm Fan Club. Is there?

I'm fine with the change. It worked out great for Nick Fury within Marvel, whether an Ultimates representation or otherwise. It's just another story being told from a different viewpoint.

Marvel missed a chance to change the race of the Storm family when they introduce the Ultimate Universe.

I approve the casting of Michael B.Jordan as Johnny Storm :sumo:

Haters gonna hate :insane:

Since the early rumor for him was Brother Voodoo, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say ST 169's prices will crash.

Curious, if an A-list white actor is cast in the role of a black comic hero or villain, everyone will be ok with that? Right?

As long as the hero isn't one who is based around being black like almost all of them are.

EDIT: About the only one I can think of at the time is James Rhodes. And yes I'd be fine if they made him white in a film.

James Rhodes is an interesting one because I seem to recall his non-white nature coming into plot points during his time as Iron Man, which arguably is a formative thread for his character (overcoming racial standards) - HOWEVER, since that was in the early 80s, I can't imagine they could make a plot point like that relevant in today's storylines. lol

But strangely, I still would find it very strange if Rhodey were white, and I'm not entirely sure why I feel that way.

I was a bit off with that comparison to Wolverine…who is easily a flagship character. I won't say there is a fan club but he is definitely a more recognizable character than…say…Baron Mordo. To the average person, they probably couldn't care less but to a comic fan it's almost a sin.

I believe most of the hate is a combination of my two points…he is a popular enough character that doesn't need to be involved in some stupid adoption storyline.

Since the early rumor for him was Brother Voodoo, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say ST 169's prices will crash.

Curious, if an A-list white actor is cast in the role of a black comic hero or villain, everyone will be ok with that? Right?

The-Lone-Ranger-Johnny-Depp.jpg

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. They have a Brother Voodoo action figure unless somehow the cross Baron Mordo with the Brother Voodoo. I'd say Brother Voodoo shows up 1 way or another

Anyone seen this yet? It's pretty freaking cool... Fan made...

I was just going to post this...

While it is phenomenal, I think using the Flaming Lips was a stroke of brilliance.

That looked awesome. Though I think that that would work better as a closing credits sequence rather than opening. Like, right before the mid-credits scene but before the black scrolling text part of the credits. The Flaming Lips song seems more fitting for a post-climax kinda celebratory triumphant-over-whatever-the-bad-guy-was song. At least that's the vibe I get...