• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

For me, a quality villain is equally as important as a quality hero. The hero's journey is nothing, without a villain. It's the other half of the story; a yin and yang sort of thing. Sure, a movie can get by with half, but a truly spectacular movie/story needs a compelling hero and a compelling villain.

The X-Men movies have not really been that great overall. What's been carrying them from a story perspective? Professor X and Magneto. Without Magneto, the X-Men movies would not even be worth watching.

Again you are missing my point......what villains would you like them to use? :baiting:

All the good ones don't belong to Marvel Studios.

I suppose you're missing my point as well.

All of the villains they've used could be compelling if written in such a way to make them so.

And that's just not true that all of the "good villains" don't belong to Marvel Studios. At least, in my opinion it's not true. The buck doesn't stop with Magneto and Dr. Doom being licensed elsewhere. Magneto is my favorite, but there are SO many villains that Marvel has available. Just from the ones I listed in my original post, I'd consider Malekith, Baron Zemo, Ultron and Yellowjacket to be quality villains. Ultron could have been a scary/creepy, original Terminator-style type machination...but instead we got a cartoony, wise-cracking CGI robot with lips and eyebrows. Flat villains is just an ongoing issue for me with the mostly high quality, Marvel movie formula.

For me all the villains you have mentioned are not compelling whatsoever.

Absolute C cover boys.

Once Phase 4 aka Fantastic Four comes into play we will finally see real villains on screen (of course after Thanos), mixed with what we all assume will be a nice partnership of the villians with Spider-man/Sony.

LOVED Cumberpatch.

Loved the graphics.

The cloak was cute, reminded me of the brooms in Fantasia;)

I have one question...

where did he have time to learn to use the amulet in-between the London scene and the Hong Kong one?

LOVED Cumberpatch.

Loved the graphics.

I have one question...

where did he have time to learn to use the amulet in-between the London scene and the Hong Kong one?

Timey-wimey stuff.

LOVED Cumberpatch.

Loved the graphics.

I have one question...

Timey-wimey stuff.

I got that reference. (thumbs u

LOVED Cumberpatch.

Loved the graphics.

I have one question...

I think the only explanation they offered as to how DS caught up so quick and became a sorcerer was: he was born with a photo graphic memory.

On a different note, the guy just literally walked into a room and was immediately taken to a trip to the multi-verse. Ant-Man's trip to the micro-verse had a better set up.

LOVED Cumberpatch.

Loved the graphics.

I have one question...

I think the only explanation they offered as to how DS caught up so quick and became a sorcerer was: he was born with a photo graphic memory.

On a different note, the guy just literally walked into a room and was immediately taken to a trip to the multi-verse. Ant-Man's trip to the micro-verse had a better set up.

My take is that as he was reading the spells from the sacred book, he was able to activate the time function (possibly activating a silent eye in the background) -- as was evidenced from the apple aging back and forth, and then reversing time so that he could read the missing pages. From there it was a matter of recalling what he saw.

LOVED Cumberpatch.

Loved the graphics.

I have one question...

They showed him learning about it before the London scene...the bit with the apple...that coupled with the London scene and his photographic memory is what let to his proficiency in Hong Kong.

LOVED Cumberpatch.

Loved the graphics.

I have one question...

My take is that as he was reading the spells from the sacred book, he was able to activate the time function (possibly activating a silent eye in the background) -- as was evidenced from the apple aging back and forth, and then reversing time so that he could read the missing pages. From there it was a matter of recalling what he saw.

Exactly. (thumbs u

This movie was a trip! I really enjoyed it, as did my wife and son. Apparently my wife *really* liked it, because she said that she wants to see it again! This from someone who is pretty much sick of superhero movies (she didn't even go with us to see Civil War).

Edited by Vorpal

Really enjoyed it.

It's also the first time I've seen a villain defeated by getting essentially Groundhog's Day'd to complete & total frustration to the point where they just give up. BRILLIANT! Bill Murray would be proud.

I saw it in 2-D but really really REALLY want to go back and see it in IMAX 3D after eating a big bag of mushrooms. I was kinda sitting there slack-jawed at some of the visuals. Really trippy & awesome.

Edited by Doktor

Really enjoyed it.

It's also the first time I've seen a villain defeated by getting essentially Groundhog's Day'd to complete & total frustration to the point where they just give up. BRILLIANT! Bill Murray would be proud.

I saw it in 2-D but really really REALLY want to go back and see it in IMAX 3D after eating a big bag of mushrooms. I was kinda sitting there slack-jawed at some of the visuals. Really trippy & awesome.

Agreed, brilliant ending. Also loved the after credits.

For me, a quality villain is equally as important as a quality hero. The hero's journey is nothing, without a villain. It's the other half of the story; a yin and yang sort of thing. Sure, a movie can get by with half, but a truly spectacular movie/story needs a compelling hero and a compelling villain.

The X-Men movies have not really been that great overall. What's been carrying them from a story perspective? Professor X and Magneto. Without Magneto, the X-Men movies would not even be worth watching.

Again you are missing my point......what villains would you like them to use? :baiting:

All of the villains they've used could be compelling if written in such a way to make them so.

And that's just not true that all of the "good villains" don't belong to Marvel Studios. At least, in my opinion it's not true. The buck doesn't stop with Magneto and Dr. Doom being licensed elsewhere. Magneto is my favorite, but there are SO many villains that Marvel has available. Just from the ones I listed in my original post, I'd consider Malekith, Baron Zemo, Ultron and Yellowjacket to be quality villains. Ultron could have been a scary/creepy, original Terminator-style type machination...but instead we got a cartoony, wise-cracking CGI robot with lips and eyebrows. Flat villains is just an ongoing issue for me with the mostly high quality, Marvel movie formula.

Absolute C cover boys.

Once Phase 4 aka Fantastic Four comes into play we will finally see real villains on screen (of course after Thanos), mixed with what we all assume will be a nice partnership of the villians with Spider-man/Sony.

I disagree about Ultron as a C. He COULD have been great.

And yeah, other than Thanos, no one's going to compete with Galactus, Dr. Doom, or Magneto.

BUT they could've used Kang the Conquerer or the Red Skull (better than they did). Time and the Cosmic Cube are two pretty powerful tools in the hands of those villains.

I hope the FF thing happens.

To be able to add the FF, the Inhumans, Galactus, the Silver Surfer, the Skrulls (and Super Skrull), Namor..... just that right there is 4 more movies at least....

Absolute C cover boys.

I disagree about Ultron as a C. He COULD have been great.

And yeah, other than Thanos, no one's going to compete with Galactus, Dr. Doom, or Magneto.

BUT they could've used Kang the Conquerer or the Red Skull (better than they did). Time and the Cosmic Cube are two pretty powerful tools in the hands of those villains.

I hope the FF thing happens.

To be able to add the FF, the Inhumans, Galactus, the Silver Surfer, the Skrulls (and Super Skrull), Namor..... just that right there is 4 more movies at least....

These conversations continue to be about two separate things.

Kingofrulers is saying who it is isn't as important as how it is written.

Look at the FF franchise and look at Doctor Doom in those movies. Doom is a quality A list villain, but he sucked in the FF movies because the writing was absolute garbage.

Then look at Iron Man 1 which had the Hate Monger/ O. Stane as the villain, a C list villain from the comics but it was very well written in the movie so it was fantastic.