• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

The movie should hold up well here in Canada. We have the Remembrance Day holiday tomorrow so it is a long weekend.

Still no interest from my kids and their best friends to see it even though I offered to take them. (shrug)

Have you seen it yet?

No. If you and other Marvel fanboys I know are giving it mixed reviews then I will save my money and wait for it on the small screen.

It is a good movie, my pickiness comes from wanting it to be better and it could have been.

Good is not very good...... :baiting:

The movie should hold up well here in Canada. We have the Remembrance Day holiday tomorrow so it is a long weekend.

Still no interest from my kids and their best friends to see it even though I offered to take them. (shrug)

Have you seen it yet?

No. If you and other Marvel fanboys I know are giving it mixed reviews then I will save my money and wait for it on the small screen.

It is a good movie, my pickiness comes from wanting it to be better and it could have been.

Good is not very good...... :baiting:

If only Warner could make ok movies... :baiting:

Odd thing. After all these Marvel movies, you would think people have grown used to waiting for the post-credit scenes to see what goodies are at the end.

Everyone else left out but my wife and I and one other couple. Not sure if that was in response to the movie or not.

Now that was fun!

Once all the Astral plane and alternate realities kicked in, it made it worth seeing in 3-D.

8.0/10.0 overall.

Glad you liked it!

The way he finally 'defeated' his enemy was kind of funny. At least to people in my audience.

I wonder how many times he died before Dormammu said "UNCLE"? It sounds like it was quite extensive.

Doctor Strange Cut One Line That Would Have Changed The Dormammu Scene

Director Scott Derrickson recently told Empire that in one of the earlier Doctor Strange drafts, the eponymous hero specifically revealed how long he and Dormammu were trapped in that never-ending time loop. Derrickson explained:

"We had a line where Strange said, 'we've been through this a thousand times.' Literally. I fancied the idea that they went through it thousands of times before Dormammu finally realized he wasn't going to get out of it."

When does this film take place in the MCU?

After Iron Man 2 or Civil War?

I read 2 articles where that phone call before Strange crashed the person with the spinal injury was War Machine, but then I heard this movie takes places years in the past around IM 2? ???

I'm confused too. Does anyone know exactly what was said in the phone call? Was it definitely a reference to WarMachine?

I thought someone inferred that after DS went to Tibet he studied there for 3 years. That would put the end of this movie 3 years after the end of Civil War. That doesn't seem to make sense.

No...the call about the spinal injury was in reference to the test pilot that Justin Hammer had on the video that Stark played at the Congressional hearing at the beginning of IM2.

After seeing it last night a 2nd time (OMG so much better in iMax 3-d) it has to be about War Machine.

Dr Strange sees the Avengers building in the NYC skyline right before he leaves to get into his car before the crash which means it cant be Iron Man 2. (shrug)

Training in the multiverse I would think could be spun that years is only hours by our Earth time. Where he trained had no time, etc, etc.

Plus it only makes sense it would be War Machine, it fits right in.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Now that was fun!

Once all the Astral plane and alternate realities kicked in, it made it worth seeing in 3-D.

8.0/10.0 overall.

It was interesting to watch it once in IMAX 3D but, in my case, too disorienting to repeat the experience.

2D Blu-ray next time.

When In The MCU Does Doctor Strange Take Place?

Let's start with what we know for a fact. Over the weekend, several fans asked Doctor Strange co-writer C. Robert Cargill on Twitter if the movie is set before Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Remember, Jasper Sitwell named Stephen Strange as one of Project Insight's potential targets, and a benevolent sorcerer would definitely classify as an enemy of HYDRA. However, Cargill debunked that idea, saying that Doctor Strange begins in 2016. A brief shot of Avengers Tower in New York City confirms that, meaning that the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron have already occurred. So when we met the egotistical Stephen Strange as a surgeon, it's early into 2016, though it's harder to determine the month. I'm guessing sometime in February, but that is in no way official.

Then we came to the meat of Doctor Strange's story: his training in the mystic arts under The Ancient One, Mordo and Wong. Unfortunately, it's significantly harder to pinpoint how long Stephen Strange was at Kamar-Taj. The only notable time reference was when Stephen told Christine how he had sent her multiple emails, but never heard back from her. That's not much to go on, but it does imply that he was across the globe for many months, which would also mean that his time learning about magic happened post-Captain America: Civil War.

Finally, we come to Doctor Strange's mid-credits scene, where the eponymous hero chatted with Thor about finding Odin. At this point, Strange was the new master of the New York Sanctum Sanctorum and had mastered the powerful "infinite beer refills" spell. It's still unclear whether Stephen Strange will actually show up in Thor: Ragnarok, but since the God of Thunder asked for Strange's help with finding Loki, one would logically presume that they'll begin their search immediately rather than wait around. So if Thor: Ragnarok takes place in November 2017 (which is when the movie will be released), that means this scene takes place days or at most weeks before that story kicks off, placing the meeting in October at the very earliest.

Exclusive: Where does Doctor Strange fit in the MCU timeline?

Director Scott Derrickson spoke to Digital Spy and set us right on just when the events of Doctor Strange occur.

"That's not War Machine, actually," he said. "It sounds like it. And maybe in some other iteration we were even thinking it could be. The movie led up to present day."

"There's not that much of a time gap."

Derrickson said that the events of the film happen over the space of about a year but not, it turns out, a year set after Civil War. Which is a relief, because we were really struggling to get that idea sorted out in our heads.

Saw it. I turned off my brain to most of the changes, so I thought people would find it entertaining, but my non-comic friend was mediocre about it.

Did I enjoy it? Well... a lot of nerd rage burns inside me when I watch these. Avengers, Iron Man, Winter Soldier, and Civil War gave me enough of the character's essence to accept the changes, and enjoy the movie. This one was a total rewrite, so even though there weren't any plot holes, there wasn't enough fundamental Doctor Strange to make me like it.

Saw it last night in IMAX 3D.

Thought it was entertaining -- good, not great. Definitely better than Thor & Thor 2 -- just shy of Captain America: The First Avenger.

Granted, I've not read a Dr. Strange comic in more than 20 years -- since Tim Vigil was on the run. But the original Ditko stories were some of the first comics I ever read.

The effects were great, loved the humorous bits (and the climax), but was mostly excited to be living in a world where we actually have a big-budget live-action Dr. Strange film.

Also, I loved the casting of Tilda Swinton, even acknowledging the gender and race switch. Whitewashing, but it worked for me.

3 stars.