• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Doctor strange was another counter culture hero like the Hulk in the 60's he lived in Greenwich Village in the early 60s which was a mecca for music, hippie counter culture, and mind expanding drugs. Ditko's cosmic art was certainly psychedelic lsd trippy inspired as well as just flat out awesome.

From wiki

The stories showcased surrealistic mystical landscapes and increasingly vivid visuals that helped make the feature a favorite of college students. Comics historian Mike Benton wrote,

"The Dr. Strange stories of the 1960s constructed a cohesive cosmology that would have thrilled any self-respecting theosophist. College students, minds freshly opened by psychedelic experiences and Eastern mysticism, read Ditko and Lee's Dr. Strange stories with the belief of a recent Hare Krishna convert. Meaning was everywhere, and readers analyzed the Dr. Strange stories for their relationship to Egyptian myths, Sumerian gods, and Jungian archetypes."[3]

"People who read 'Doctor Strange' thought people at Marvel must be heads [i.e., drug users]," recalled then-associate editor and former Doctor Strange writer Roy Thomas in 1971, "because they had had similar experiences high on mushrooms. But … I don't use hallucinogens, nor do I think any artists do."[4]

"Steve Ditko contributed some of his most surrealistic work to the comic book and gave it a disorienting, hallucinogenic quality. Dr. Strange's adventures take place in bizarre worlds and twisting dimensions that resembled Salvador Dalí paintings. Inspired by the pulp-fiction magicians of Stan Lee's childhood as well as by contemporary Beat culture, Dr. Strange remarkably predicted the youth counterculture's fascination with Eastern mysticism and psychedelia. Never among Marvel's more popular or accessible characters, Dr. Strange still found a niche among an audience seeking a challenging alternative to more conventional superhero fare

really? people are giving Stan Lee credit for this one too?

Guess he said the word strange in a meeting and that's all it took to claim he came up with the whole thing. Dr. Strange came out of Ditko's mind alone. Others worked with that concept afterwards.

regardless-- ti will be a challenge to make this movie appealing to the typical Marvel movie audience imo-- this stuff is tough for many comic enthusiasts let alone those who never read them.

It looks like Marvel has found a director for the Doctor Strange movie:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53213

I'm not sure how to feel about the news. Doctor Strange hasn't carried a consistent comic in a while. When was the last time? I think it'd be cool to see him in a Netflix show instead.

I like the character though and I'd check it out.

Bravo. I recently completed a ST 110 to 170 run. But I also revere Frank Brunner's cover art on Dr. Strange issues 1-6.

It looks like Marvel has found a director for the Doctor Strange movie:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53213

I'm not sure how to feel about the news. Doctor Strange hasn't carried a consistent comic in a while. When was the last time? I think it'd be cool to see him in a Netflix show instead.

I like the character though and I'd check it out.

Bravo. I recently completed a ST 110 to 170 run. But I also revere Frank Brunner's cover art on Dr. Strange issues 1-6.

Check out the Marcos Martin drawn mini-series.

Doctor strange was another counter culture hero like the Hulk in the 60's he lived in Greenwich Village in the early 60s which was a mecca for music, hippie counter culture, and mind expanding drugs. Ditko's cosmic art was certainly psychedelic lsd trippy inspired as well as just flat out awesome.

From wiki

The stories showcased surrealistic mystical landscapes and increasingly vivid visuals that helped make the feature a favorite of college students. Comics historian Mike Benton wrote,

"The Dr. Strange stories of the 1960s constructed a cohesive cosmology that would have thrilled any self-respecting theosophist. College students, minds freshly opened by psychedelic experiences and Eastern mysticism, read Ditko and Lee's Dr. Strange stories with the belief of a recent Hare Krishna convert. Meaning was everywhere, and readers analyzed the Dr. Strange stories for their relationship to Egyptian myths, Sumerian gods, and Jungian archetypes."[3]

"People who read 'Doctor Strange' thought people at Marvel must be heads [i.e., drug users]," recalled then-associate editor and former Doctor Strange writer Roy Thomas in 1971, "because they had had similar experiences high on mushrooms. But … I don't use hallucinogens, nor do I think any artists do."[4]

"Steve Ditko contributed some of his most surrealistic work to the comic book and gave it a disorienting, hallucinogenic quality. Dr. Strange's adventures take place in bizarre worlds and twisting dimensions that resembled Salvador Dalí paintings. Inspired by the pulp-fiction magicians of Stan Lee's childhood as well as by contemporary Beat culture, Dr. Strange remarkably predicted the youth counterculture's fascination with Eastern mysticism and psychedelia. Never among Marvel's more popular or accessible characters, Dr. Strange still found a niche among an audience seeking a challenging alternative to more conventional superhero fare

Guess he said the word strange in a meeting and that's all it took to claim he came up with the whole thing. Dr. Strange came out of Ditko's mind alone. Others worked with that concept afterwards.

regardless-- ti will be a challenge to make this movie appealing to the typical Marvel movie audience imo-- this stuff is tough for many comic enthusiasts let alone those who never read them.

Isn't everyone tired of this topic of discussion yet?

Hey, remember when two years ago, some people said on a chat board how the public would easily dismiss a gun toting raccoon that was buddied up with a tree that said only three words?

From wiki

Isn't everyone tired of this topic of discussion yet?

Not yet. :)

RUMOR: Jack Huston Said To Be In The Running To Play DOCTOR STRANGE

------------------------

The Boardwalk Empire actor actually came very close to playing Star Lord in Guardians Of The Galaxy, but now a new report from ThisIsInfamous claims that Huston is still on Marvel's radar, and that he's one of the names in the running to play the Sorcerer Supreme.

------------------------

I would love for him to take on this role. His character on 'Boardwalk Empire' made the show so exciting to watch every time he had a scene. Now that he is gone from the show, he will be missed. In a way, good that it is the last season.

:wishluck::wishluck:

RUMOR: Jack Huston Said To Be In The Running To Play DOCTOR STRANGE

------------------------

The Boardwalk Empire actor actually came very close to playing Star Lord in Guardians Of The Galaxy, but now a new report from ThisIsInfamous claims that Huston is still on Marvel's radar, and that he's one of the names in the running to play the Sorcerer Supreme.

------------------------

polls_ChuckNorrisApproved_2444_700584_poll_zps9d5bc47f.png