• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

Do you know why the Avengers movie did not feature Loki using a lot of magic in it, and instead, he did a lot of hand to hand combat? Or used his "glow stick of destiny" to shoot things?

Magic is boring.

P.S. I have only watched one Harry Potter movie, and there is a reason for that.

A movie with sword fighting and sorcery, will always feature more sword fighting than magic. Sorcery movies are ALWAYS accompanied with swords. How would that work with Dr. Strange?

Because magic/spells/incantations/etc., are boring.

Just for fun. See if any of these tickle your fancy.

http://www.popmatters.com/post/175033-the-10-greatest-movies-about-magic-and-magicians/

Edited by conditionfreak

Do you know why the Avengers movie did not feature Loki using a lot of magic in it, and instead, he did a lot of hand to hand combat? Or used his "glow stick of destiny" to shoot things?

Magic is boring.

P.S. I have only watched one Harry Potter movie, and there is a reason for that.

A movie with sword fighting and sorcery, will always feature more sword fighting than magic. Sorcery movies are ALWAYS accompanied with swords. How would that work with Dr. Strange?

Because magic/spells/incantations/etc., are boring.

Just for fun. See if any of these tickle your fancy.

http://www.popmatters.com/post/175033-the-10-greatest-movies-about-magic-and-magicians/

Bed-knobs and Broomsticks is brilliant.

What you say can be said about most things though. A film with just sword fighting is boring after a while. you have to mix things up a bit.

Throw in some nasty demons and travelling around the other planes could be fun, but you have one film in an origin story, and then just throw him with the rest of the avengers .. Maybe the Illuminati (without Reed obviously)....

I think there are a few things that could be done, you don't need to just show him using magic all of the time...

P.

Ethan Hawke

Joseph Fiennes

Jon Hamm

Depp would be the best, but costs a LOT

I could actually see Brad Pitt nailing the character, but there is no way he would take a role like that

If Depp or Brad Pitt get the role the movie would bomb quicker than the Lone Ranger.

I hope they avoid this Doctor Strange look.

Ultimate_strange_2.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Ethan Hawke

Joseph Fiennes

Jon Hamm

I could actually see Brad Pitt nailing the character, but there is no way he would take a role like that

If Depp or Brad Pitt get the role the movie would bomb quicker than the Lone Ranger.

Ultimate_strange_2.jpg

That is bad.

Ethan Hawke

Joseph Fiennes

Jon Hamm

Ultimate_strange_2.jpg

That is bad.

It`s from the latest season of Disney`s Ultimate Spider-Man.

I hope that isn`t what they are planning with Doctor Strange.

I rather have this version below.

450_1.jpg

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Ethan Hawke

Joseph Fiennes

Jon Hamm

+1

Johnny Depp? Ugh.

In Marvel comics continuity, Dr. Strange was around before the Fantastic Four - he was the first of the classic Silver Age heroes. I think Marvel Studios should pay homage to this fact by placing his origin in the MCU timeline before Iron Man 1. Say he has been meditating for 5 years... This opens interesting possibilities for a sequence showing him aware of all the major events of phase 1 & 2, perhaps while trapped in ethereal form.

In Marvel comics continuity, Dr. Strange was around before the Fantastic Four - he was the first of the classic Silver Age heroes. I think Marvel Studios should pay homage to this fact by placing his origin in the MCU timeline before Iron Man 1. Say he has been meditating for 5 years... This opens interesting possibilities for a sequence showing him aware of all the major events of phase 1 & 2, perhaps while trapped in ethereal form.

Are you sure about this? (shrug)

It's news to me. :o

I discovered this myself reading the "Marvel: The Lost Generation" miniseries some time ago.

A quick Internet search just now doesn't turn up any additional sources; this page sites the same series in a comment far down on the page:

"Older than They Look: According to the Marvel: The Lost Generation limited series, Strange's origin story predates the Fantastic Four's by decades; in other words, he has not been subject to Comic Book Time, and his origin actually did happen in the 60's, or likely even earlier. Thanks to his magic, he looks much younger than he is."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Comicbook/DoctorStrange

His Marvel Wiki page also quotes specific years of his birth and life events, which is not usually done unless they are established in canon (due to comic book time for example, the year of the FF's rocketship flight would never be given, but something like Captain America's or Wolverine's birth years would be).

http://marvel.wikia.com/Stephen_Strange_(Earth-616)

Yep, it's true and it makes perfect sense. It's gonna take a heckuva long time for someone to learn to practice magic and then to become the sorcerer supreme.

I discovered this myself reading the "Marvel: The Lost Generation" miniseries some time ago.

A quick Internet search just now doesn't turn up any additional sources; this page sites the same series in a comment far down on the page:

"Older than They Look: According to the Marvel: The Lost Generation limited series, Strange's origin story predates the Fantastic Four's by decades; in other words, he has not been subject to Comic Book Time, and his origin actually did happen in the 60's, or likely even earlier. Thanks to his magic, he looks much younger than he is."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Comicbook/DoctorStrange

His Marvel Wiki page also quotes specific years of his birth and life events, which is not usually done unless they are established in canon (due to comic book time for example, the year of the FF's rocketship flight would never be given, but something like Captain America's or Wolverine's birth years would be).

http://marvel.wikia.com/Stephen_Strange_(Earth-616)

Stephen Strange became Dr. Strange in 1963. The Fantastic Four got their powers in '61.

I don't get it.

If Strange's origin happened in the sixties, how does that predate the Fantastic Four's by decades?

Unless now they (Marvel?) are retconning FF #1 to some future time. Which doesn't make sense.

Reed and Ben fought in WWII, which would make them at least 18 in 1942 (or around that). So they would be in their late thirties in 1961. If the FF origin was decades later, how old were Reed and Ben during that fateful space flight? Late forties? Late fifties?

If Strange was born in 1930 (which makes him younger than Reed and Ben), he had to be around 30 when he became a doctor, which happened well before he became Dr. Strange. The math says he couldn't become Dr. Strange before the early '60s.

That tvtropes page doesn't make any sense.

Edited by ucleben