• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Doctor Strange Movie Thread

1,320 posts in this topic

I discovered this myself reading the "Marvel: The Lost Generation" miniseries some time ago.

A quick Internet search just now doesn't turn up any additional sources; this page sites the same series in a comment far down on the page:

"Older than They Look: According to the Marvel: The Lost Generation limited series, Strange's origin story predates the Fantastic Four's by decades; in other words, he has not been subject to Comic Book Time, and his origin actually did happen in the 60's, or likely even earlier. Thanks to his magic, he looks much younger than he is."

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Comicbook/DoctorStrange

His Marvel Wiki page also quotes specific years of his birth and life events, which is not usually done unless they are established in canon (due to comic book time for example, the year of the FF's rocketship flight would never be given, but something like Captain America's or Wolverine's birth years would be).

http://marvel.wikia.com/Stephen_Strange_(Earth-616)

Stephen Strange became Dr. Strange in 1963. The Fantastic Four got their powers in '61.

I don't get it.

If Strange's origin happened in the sixties, how does that predate the Fantastic Four's by decades?

Unless now they (Marvel?) are retconning FF #1 to some future time. Which doesn't make sense.

Reed and Ben fought in WWII, which would make them at least 18 in 1942 (or around that). So they would be in their late thirties in 1961. If the FF origin was decades later, how old were Reed and Ben during that fateful space flight? Late forties? Late fifties?

If Strange was born in 1930 (which makes him younger than Reed and Ben), he had to be around 30 when he became a doctor, which happened well before he became Dr. Strange. The math says he couldn't become Dr. Strange before the early '60s.

That tvtropes page doesn't make any sense.

Hi -

Everything you need is in my post above. Dr. Strange's birthdate and getting powers are fixed, FF's are on a sliding timescale.

So now, in our time, 2014 -

Stephen Strange birth - 1930

Becomes Dr. Strange - 1963

FF rocketship - "about ten years ago" - 2004

The situation in 2020 (our time) will be

FF rocketship - "about ten years ago" - 2010

Make sense?

I'm with you Chris, I don't get the appeal with Strange.

To each their own but I thought the Dr. Strange issues with Frank Brunner were some of the best comics I've ever read!

Dr. Strange is one my favorite comic books to read.

Bring on the movie! I can't wait.

+1

+2

I've always thought the Dr. Strange origin story is one of Marvel's best.

This.

I like the story and I think it is interesting. I'm just not sure how well it will carry over to a mainstream audience. It is sort of weird and doesn't appeal to everyone perfectly.

Has Strange every really had a love interest? Has he every had a great villain? Those are the type of things people enjoy in hero films. Strange has always been more of a man vs himself character- especially the origin. I love those types of stories, but they don't always appeal to a lot of people.

I also wonder where they could go after the origin story- which I do agree is pretty good and would make a decent movie.

I discovered this myself reading the "Marvel: The Lost Generation" miniseries some time ago.

A quick Internet search just now doesn't turn up any additional sources; this page sites the same series in a comment far down on the page:

"Older than They Look: According to the Marvel: The Lost Generation limited series, Strange's origin story predates the Fantastic Four's by decades; in other words, he has not been subject to Comic Book Time, and his origin actually did happen in the 60's, or likely even earlier. Thanks to his magic, he looks much younger than he is."

His Marvel Wiki page also quotes specific years of his birth and life events, which is not usually done unless they are established in canon (due to comic book time for example, the year of the FF's rocketship flight would never be given, but something like Captain America's or Wolverine's birth years would be).

Stephen Strange became Dr. Strange in 1963. The Fantastic Four got their powers in '61.

I don't get it.

If Strange's origin happened in the sixties, how does that predate the Fantastic Four's by decades?

Unless now they (Marvel?) are retconning FF #1 to some future time. Which doesn't make sense.

Reed and Ben fought in WWII, which would make them at least 18 in 1942 (or around that). So they would be in their late thirties in 1961. If the FF origin was decades later, how old were Reed and Ben during that fateful space flight? Late forties? Late fifties?

If Strange was born in 1930 (which makes him younger than Reed and Ben), he had to be around 30 when he became a doctor, which happened well before he became Dr. Strange. The math says he couldn't become Dr. Strange before the early '60s.

Hi -

Everything you need is in my post above. Dr. Strange's birthdate and getting powers are fixed, FF's are on a sliding timescale.

Make sense?

I guess.

Except when Reed meets Fury and the Commandos in Sgt. Fury #3. Which did take place in WWII. And about a dozen other references to Reed and Ben fighting in WWII.

I don't care how the timescale is slided, things don't make sense.

So unless current Marvel has retconned WWII to have occurred in the 1990's, then Reed and Ben were around 80 - 90 years old when they became the FF in 2010, and the events of FF #1, despite the style of the cars and clothing depicted, happened 40 years after the US landed on the Moon (which negates the events of FF 13) .

So in this convoluted nonsensical new Marvel universe, not to be confused with the finely crafted interwoven world created by Kirby, Ditko, Lee, and a few others; Dr. Strange is the first silver age Marvel hero. Somehow.

I realize you're following the new explanation of things, but in my perspective the confused logic of the current Marvel universe is like the old Earth 1 - Earth 2 stuff that eventually bogged down DC in the '60s and '70s .

Which is why I don't read moderns (but I do keep track somewhat of what's going on, just for laughs).

I don't get it.

Hi -

Make sense?

I guess.

Except when Reed meets Fury and the Commandos in Sgt. Fury #3. Which did take place in WWII. And about a dozen other references to Reed and Ben fighting in WWII.

So unless current Marvel has retconned WWII to have occurred in the 1990's, then Reed and Ben were around 80 - 90 years old when they became the FF in 2010, and the events of FF #1, despite the style of the cars and clothing depicted, happened 40 years after the US landed on the Moon (which negates the events of FF 13) .

So in this convoluted nonsensical new Marvel universe, not to be confused with the finely crafted interwoven world created by Kirby, Ditko, Lee, and a few others; Dr. Strange is the first silver age Marvel hero. Somehow.

I realize you're following the new explanation of things, but in my perspective the confused logic of the current Marvel universe is like the old Earth 1 - Earth 2 stuff that eventually bogged down DC in the '60s and '70s .

Which is why I don't read moderns (but I do keep track somewhat of what's going on, just for laughs).

Marvel continuity has been retconned so Reed and Ben never served in WWII...

Those stories "never happened"

Sorry to break it to you...

I don't get it.

Hi -

Make sense?

I guess.

It was pretty unavoidable for that to have been written out of history otherwise they'd have to at very least be in their mid 80's by now.

Much like Iron Man's origin got altered so that it wasn't in Vietnam.

:facepalm: (not aimed at you, but Marvel in general)

I'm curious, where is the cutoff of stories that never happened, and which run of books are now considered the FF's "real" (using the term loosely) adventures? If you know. I tried marvel wiki and google and all I got was a mishmash of alternate universes.

I keep seeing Earth-616. But that still references the FF's first appearance and origin as FF 1, Nov 1961 on the marvel wiki.

I am so confused. Can anyone help an old man out? :cry:

edit: maybe I'll start a new thread asking about it...

Edited by ucleben

I don't get it.

Hi -

Make sense?

I refuse to allow my brain to retain any of that retconned garbage. I will suspend belief that my favorite comic characters don't age, but I flat out will never be a fan of trying to make a character's origin fit a linear timeline. I think it comes across as overcomplicated, and it's null and void within a few years anyway. There are ways that writers can relate a characters backstory without having to give it a specific date - it just takes more work to develop the right dialogue.

I don't get it.

Hi -

Make sense?

I refuse to allow my brain to retain any of that retconned garbage. I will suspend belief that my favorite comic characters don't age, but I flat out will never be a fan of trying to make a character's origin fit a linear timeline. I think it comes across as overcomplicated, and it's null and void within a few years anyway. There are ways that writers can relate a characters backstory without having to give it a specific date - it just takes more work to develop the right dialogue.

Yea I ignore all of this stuff. I didn't know they'd actually changed it.

I'm with you Chris, I don't get the appeal with Strange.

To each their own but I thought the Dr. Strange issues with Frank Brunner were some of the best comics I've ever read!

Dr. Strange is one my favorite comic books to read.

Bring on the movie! I can't wait.

+1

Looks like an ad for a pron movie.

I hope that's not real.

The hair looks like it was photoshopped on from a plastic dolls head.

Joaquin Phoenix in Contention for Doctor Strange Role?

---------------------------

Though a previous report indicated Marvel Studios was looking at both Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy to take on the lead role in Doctor Strange, TheWrap now brings word that three-time Academy Award nominee Joaquin Phoenix is being considering for the role. No deal is in place but check back here for any future announcements, which might come Saturday evening during Marvel Studios’ San Diego Comic-Con panel.

---------------------------

It looks like Marvel has found a director for the Doctor Strange movie:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53213

I'm not sure how to feel about the news. Doctor Strange hasn't carried a consistent comic in a while. When was the last time? I think it'd be cool to see him in a Netflix show instead.

I like the character though and I'd check it out.

If Marvel plays it right Dr Strange could be their next big thing. Rely on the magical Harry Potter crowd which now have nowhere to go after those sequels have stopped.

And also let's remember that Kirby and Ditko only made two major super-heroes... and now it is Dr Strange's turn!!! :headbang:

It looks like Marvel has found a director for the Doctor Strange movie:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53213

I'm not sure how to feel about the news. Doctor Strange hasn't carried a consistent comic in a while. When was the last time? I think it'd be cool to see him in a Netflix show instead.

I like the character though and I'd check it out.

If Marvel plays it right Dr Strange could be their next big thing. Rely on the magical Harry Potter crowd which now have nowhere to go after those sequels have stopped.

And also let's remember that Kirby and Ditko only made two major super-heroes... and now it is Dr Strange's turn!!! :headbang:

I could not be more excited (or hesitantly hopeful?) for a Dr. Strange movie. I love that Marvel is taking chances like this. Many of their flicks have looked risky and questionable at the beginning. Don't forget that Iron Man wasn't exactly a household name. And Thor? I'm still not sure how they managed to make not one, but two Thor movies work reasonably well.

And Guardians of the Galaxy... a group of 'who cares' comic characters that have every appearance of gearing up to hit the box office hard in August.

Long story short... I hope they don't screw up Dr. Strange! :wishluck:

Please don't screw this up-this could be so good dont Hellboy it...please oh please